Klipsch RP-280F's to replace RF-82's

ATLAudio

ATLAudio

Senior Audioholic
@Klipschhead302

Parts for the RF 82 aren't that expensive. Here's a link for the Tweeter. I'd expect that the crossovers are about the same price, but I think you'll need to call Klipsch. It's very likely the tweeter.
Tweeter

Klipschhead302

Klipschhead302

Senior Audioholic
@Klipschhead302

Parts for the RF 82 aren't that expensive. Here's a link for the Tweeter. I'd expect that the crossovers are about the same price, but I think you'll need to call Klipsch. It's very likely the tweeter.
Tweeter
I found that a while ago, even with them functioning 100% they don't sounds as good in music as the RP-160M's or even "The Sixes" so they are getting replaced.

ATLAudio

ATLAudio

Senior Audioholic
I found that a while ago, even with them functioning 100% they don't sounds as good in music as the RP-160M's or even "The Sixes" so they are getting replaced.
Understood, they'll be an easier sell if completely fixed, however. Are you seriously going to get the
Forte III?

Klipschhead302

Klipschhead302

Senior Audioholic
Understood, they'll be an easier sell if completely fixed, however. Are you seriously going to get the
Forte III?
Agreed 100%, I will fix the 82's before selling them. I am really going to go for a pair of the Forte III's, if the planets align and I have the money before the production run clears out. I should be able to get them, we'll see.

ATLAudio

ATLAudio

Senior Audioholic
Agreed 100%, I will fix the 82's before selling them. I am really going to go for a pair of the Forte III's, if the planets align and I have the money before the production run clears out. I should be able to get them, we'll see.
I think they will make them ongoing. It's not a limited run like the anniversary models, or anything like that. If it is, that's news to me.

Klipschhead302

Klipschhead302

Senior Audioholic
I think they will make them ongoing. It's not a limited run like the anniversary models, or anything like that. If it is, that's news to me.
Well that is welcome news! My chances just went up. :)

C

Chrisipod4s

Enthusiast
I just ordered the Rp-260s. I listened to them and the 280s. I thought the 280s would have a lot more mid bass punch but they did not. They sounded nearly identical. The 280 did have a little more bass but not nearly worth the extra money.

Klipschhead302

Klipschhead302

Senior Audioholic
I just ordered the Rp-260s. I listened to them and the 280s. I thought the 280s would have a lot more mid bass punch but they did not. They sounded nearly identical. The 280 did have a little more bass but not nearly worth the extra money.
I believe at this point I'm going with the Forte III's but I was giving thought to the 260's earlier on but found a very good deal on the 280's so was sticking to them..... until I changed my mind to the Forte's. :)

B

bradymartin

Full Audioholic
i havent listened to the 260s but i received 280s a couple of days ago. the 280s put out a ton of bass. very happy with them. for music i really dont see why they would need a subwoofer

Klipschhead302

Klipschhead302

Senior Audioholic
i havent listened to the 260s but i received 280s a couple of days ago. the 280s put out a ton of bass. very happy with them. for music i really dont see why they would need a subwoofer
They are on my list if I can't get the Forte III's. How clear is the treble for you on the 260's, is it harsh at all?

Klipschhead302

Klipschhead302

Senior Audioholic
The Forte III's are now listed on the website, but available to buy yet. As soon as they become available I'm pulling the trigger, just need to convince the wife. The issues with the RF-82 will help I hope, the crackling bothers her as well.

http://www.klipsch.com/products/forte-iii

ForteIII.JPG

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
It's not the amp, I plugged the RP-160M's into the SR7009 and they sound incredible, much cleaner than the 82's. I used "The Sixes" in the same space and they blow the 82's out of the water as well. I love the 82's for Home Theater but I have been listening to music through them a lot lately.

The 82's are too fatiguing for music and early CD's sound harsher. I love the bass response but I figure I can sell the pair after repairing the defective one for half what I'm going to pay for the 280's.
I wouldn't replace them with the Reference II series, that's for sure. If accuracy is your goal, the RP series does not disappoint. They're everything klipsch is known for (high spl, low distortion, fantastic imaging) with none of the harshness. You would likely want to replace your center, as the excess brightness in an rc-II speaker would be noticeable with center to l/r pans.

You could also just grab a second pair of RP-160ms or RP-260ms if budget is a concern, since you already like their sound. You're putting these in a what, 14x14 room? I regularly watch movies at reference level with the smaller R-15ms in a 20x12 room and they don't miss a beat. Considering your room size, the only benefit to the towers would be a lower extension, but that's what a sub is for, and most music lacks significant content below about 40hz anyways. Nothing wrong with going bigger than necessary, though.

Klipschhead302

Klipschhead302

Senior Audioholic
I wouldn't replace them with the Reference II series, that's for sure. If accuracy is your goal, the RP series does not disappoint. They're everything klipsch is known for (high spl, low distortion, fantastic imaging) with none of the harshness. You would likely want to replace your center, as the excess brightness in an rc-II speaker would be noticeable with center to l/r pans.

You could also just grab a second pair of RP-160ms or RP-260ms if budget is a concern, since you already like their sound. You're putting these in a what, 14x14 room? I regularly watch movies at reference level with the smaller R-15ms in a 20x12 room and they don't miss a beat. Considering your room size, the only benefit to the towers would be a lower extension, but that's what a sub is for, and most music lacks significant content below about 40hz anyways. Nothing wrong with going bigger than necessary, though.
Going backwards isn't my goal so the Reference II was never part of the list. I also listen to 2 channel music on this system and the extension on the RF-82 while fantastic they are too harsh and this is why the move to either the RP's or Forte III Heritage speakers.

I just found out they are excepting orders after I refreshed the page and the prices came up as 2k each. So I called and like most companies their IVR sucks, most calls go to the same group so when you end up with a person they ask what you're calling about. Since the option pressed was about non-powered speakers the option is Home Theater Speakers since Heritage series isn't on the menu.

I go through this convoluted mess and get the "We are in a department meeting right now, please try again later", so I tried the "headphones" line, same thing, now you would think if they wanted a sale you could leave a message so they could call back and take the order, nope, try again later.

It shouldn't be work to spend good money, you can bet if sales were in a slump they would be taking messages. Looks like I'm calling "later". :(

Klipschhead302

Klipschhead302

Senior Audioholic
Apparently they are in an all day department meeting, no voicemail nothing, just call back later. This is a turn off customer service wise.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord

What do you know about the Reference II series and the RP series that we don't?
I've never heard the "Reference I" series, but almost every article I have read claims they are harsh and that the Ref II fixes that!
I'm pretty happy with the Ref II's I have and assumed here was not much difference between them and the RP series. But I have never heard the RP series either.

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
I own some of each series. I've never heard the reference I, I own reference II, new reference, reference premiere, and the last icon series. I've taken frequency response measurements of each. The reference II series is about 6dB hot starting at 10khz centering on 16khz. The premiere series and the cheaper reference series are +-3dB flat across the entire frequency range, and neither of them sound bright. If the reference II series is reviewed as being less harsh, I can only imagine the original reference series was unbearable.
I've never heard the "Reference I" series, but almost every article I have read claims they are harsh and that the Ref II fixes that!
I'm pretty happy with the Ref II's I have and assumed here was not much difference between them and the RP series. But I have never heard the RP series either.

Sent from my 5065N using Tapatalk

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Going backwards isn't my goal so the Reference II was never part of the list. I also listen to 2 channel music on this system and the extension on the RF-82 while fantastic they are too harsh and this is why the move to either the RP's or Forte III Heritage speakers.

I just found out they are excepting orders after I refreshed the page and the prices came up as 2k each. So I called and like most companies their IVR sucks, most calls go to the same group so when you end up with a person they ask what you're calling about. Since the option pressed was about non-powered speakers the option is Home Theater Speakers since Heritage series isn't on the menu.

I go through this convoluted mess and get the "We are in a department meeting right now, please try again later", so I tried the "headphones" line, same thing, now you would think if they wanted a sale you could leave a message so they could call back and take the order, nope, try again later.

It shouldn't be work to spend good money, you can bet if sales were in a slump they would be taking messages. Looks like I'm calling "later". :(

I know you really want Klipsch, but there is no way to be sure that the Forte speakers will not be as hot as the RF IIs if there aren't any available measurements for them. If the Forte IIIs are aiming for that vintage Klipsch sound, that is could be some hot treble.

You know, you could always go for a brand that aims for neutrality. There are some good ones that will have a neutral response and will still have the dynamic range of that Klipsch...

Klipschhead302

Klipschhead302

Senior Audioholic
I claim no knowledge of the Reference II series except it was an incremental upgrade over the RF series. I have heard nothing but good about the Reference Premiere series so I would go with those if the Heritage is out of reach. I mean to infer no ill will about the Ref II's, but I prefer to go to a series that goes to the next level and the RP series supposedly does that. My RP-160M's sound better than my RF-82's, that says something.

Klipschhead302

Klipschhead302

Senior Audioholic
I own some of each series. I've never heard the reference I, I own reference II, new reference, reference premiere, and the last icon series. I've taken frequency response measurements of each. The reference II series is about 6dB hot starting at 10khz centering on 16khz. The premiere series and the cheaper reference series are +-3dB flat across the entire frequency range, and neither of them sound bright. If the reference II series is reviewed as being less harsh, I can only imagine the original reference series was unbearable.

Sent from my 5065N using Tapatalk
I can tell you that on some songs the RF-82's can be unbearable which is why I stopped listening to music on them. In Home Theater they are incredible however, very dynamic.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis