Kimber Kable 4PR & 8PR Speaker Cable Review

Matt34

Matt34

My bet? This thread will have 120 replies and 1400 views by the end of the day.

Gene, you need to do a review on power cables next, drum up some more traffic to the website.
So it looks like my perdiction was about 11 hrs off.:p

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
I hope you can all consider then that it will be hard to explain. I’m very tuned into sound. I (over) analyze everything I hear. At work last week, I kept asking “what is that high pitched squeal”? No one else could hear it. Turns out, it was a low battery warning on an AED unit on another floor. Please don’t get me wrong – I’m not trying to brag, honestly I wish my brain didn’t tune into and hyper-analyze every little sound I hear.

With the different components, including cable, my focus can turn from hearing the music notes being played to picking up on the most minute distortions in sound. In my particular system, I thought the distortion was from my amp or pre-amp. I switched from an average 14 gage wire to an “underdog” brand thinking there wasn’t any difference, but there it was – distortion. When I switched the speaker cable, the distortion went away, and all that was left was the sound. The very real effect of lobbing also disappeared, and I had a very smooth coherent soundstage. The Kimber was my RCA patch, the new speaker cable – (takes a big gulp as I realize this may get me banned) are Monster Z3’s I got for 75% off ($75) from accessories4less. I hacked them apart & converted two lengths into a bi-wire setup, and honestly, my system has never sounded better.

I find I can also remember distinct characteristics of a certain item, and hear differences between it, and another like item (receiver to receiver for example). What I continue to struggle with is why so many people tell me it must be in my head, or ask for verification. Why isn’t “taking my word for it” good enough? Would I be going too far by suggesting that some people must think “If other people can hear a difference, why can’t I”?

I know I’m not alone in this camp, but right now I feel like I’m standing up for others who won’t voice their observations. I’ve seen other people extol the virtues of the “sound” of a new amp or processor, and everyone says “good on you”. I feel like I’m on trial to prove myself, and it just feels wrong.

In all sincerity you may want to read the trials and tribulations of this audiophile Mike Lavigne with a most interesting setup and claimed hearing capability.
He tired but gave up:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=941184

This is his setup, probably $1mil plus:
http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue16/lavigneroom.htm

J

jneutron

Senior Audioholic
Are you still alive? Hmmmm..
Yup. Despite all odds..

Remember, no matter what you do, half the antimatter you create will have an affinity for the high magfield gradients of the bottle..regardless of what Dan Brown says..

and...

it'll still take ya 300 billion years to collect a milligram, and a 100,000 cc's of volume.

Cheers, John

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
This is why I protested against the positive review of this cable. If the review would have said you get no improvement of the sound quality and pay a very hefty sum for a nice connector and a new shiny cable, that would be an honest conclusion. The lackluster and nearly indifferent attitude against this cable from this audioquack is disappointing to me. Sifting through the review to pick up a few 'objective' fragments is insufficient. C'est le ton qui fait la musique. And not the cable.
It's Dr. AudioQuack, thank you. I didn't attend 6 years of College and 10 years of running this website to just be called "audioquack".

foeth

Enthusiast
Gene said:
It's Dr. AudioQuack, thank you. I didn't attend 6 years of College and 10 years of running this website to just be called "audioquack".
Read more carefully, I was not referring to you, but I was referring to the manufacturer. But I'd be happy to refer to you as such if you so wish even though I'd apply the term Dr affectionately ;) Ok ok, I'll back off for now. I even received a nice red square!

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
A professional review of a sponsor's relatively high-cost speaker cable. I envision that as Gene's own personal Kobayashi Maru. :D

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
A difference of opinion will never get you banned from this site.
It will however get you added to my ignore list.
It's my way ... or the highway.:D

"Sorry gene is a moderator/admin and you are not allowed to ignore him or her." :eek: :D

majorloser

majorloser

My bet? This thread will have 120 replies and 1400 views by the end of the day.

Gene, you need to do a review on power cables next, drum up some more traffic to the website.
Just as long as he doesn't mention Star Trek again.

Stop ragging on the movie, Gene! :p

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Stop ragging on the movie, Gene!
With the more than usual bad science in the most recent Star Trek movie, it was too easy of a target. Red matter, drilling a laser in to a planet, super nova destroying a galaxy etc. Seriously, I thought I was watching an Austin Powers movie or Sci Fi written by exotic cable vendors :)

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
I would like to thank Gene and Audiohlics for this review.

I am one of those people who would consider buying the Kimber Cables based on looks, as long as I knew they weren’t doing anything negative to my system. I think it was just last week, that I clicked one of their ads just to take a look…mmhh pretty.

Heck I bought all Cobalt Cables after Cable Face Off I, not because I thought they were the best value, or that they would change my system’s sound, but because they measured well and they were more aesthetically pleasing to me than standard zip cord.
Precisely the reason of the review. Many reasons to buy cables and some like a preference is not really testable:D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis