N

natboy

Audiophyte
Hi everyone...this is my first post so please be gentle....

I have a pair of Kef Reference Series One speakers. I recently noticed that the woofer on one of the speakers is producing less output (one third to one half) when compared to the other speaker. The sound that is produced doesn't appear to be distorted in any way. I'm trying to contact a Kef dealer/distributor here in the Toronto area (not easy so far). Just curious if anyone has any ideas as to what the problem could be. I have recently gone through a move, could a connection be loose? Any thoughts would be appreciated. The sound from the tweeter and mids are perfect...and perfectly balanced between the two speakers. I've been running a sub as well so i haven't even noticed this issue until recently when i moved my sub to my other system.

Thanks in advance...

J

jmanlp

Audioholic
Did you reverse the connections L to R R to Left to make sure it isn't any of your electronics? Just a thought

N

natboy

Audiophyte
Thanks for the response,

Yes, i actually changed positions moving the left speaker to the right and vise versa...(same speaker continued to show the problem) tried different amp channels, played around with the connector to ensure that they were tight. It's too bad the woofer is downward pointing inside the box because it would be nice to have easy access to check for a partially torn surround or a loose connection...in any even i have been pointed in the right direction from Kef's distributor in Canada. I have been i contact with the repair facility that they have recommended. To be safe i'm not going to mess with it...i'll take it in next week so they can fix it.

E

Electone

Audioholic
I have KEF C95 speakers that also feature the "coupled cavity" woofer loading. It is very easy to remove the woofer to check for damage. After removing the grille, there are four nuts holding the woofer in place. Remove them, the wiring and tilt out the woofer from the cabinet.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis