KEF Q900 Tower Speakers Reviewed

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Now, I like that idea. It would be great to see Gene take some AH measurements, then show how some other companies could cook the books to get their measurements.
Right, that is what I have been trying to say - this would be cool for everyone

Need more than a video conversation - do a demo on Youtube - these are the
type of things that are easy to remember.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Might make it tough to get new sponsors :eek: :D
As the Audio World Turns!

Some companies were scared off by another forum.:)

However, some companies do flavor their speakers to hit a target audience.

Maybe someone out there who has an extra pair of speakers, can loan a pair
to Audioholics for a live show demo.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
I do not know how to take that so-called review - that was one of them quickies to
give Audioholics and KEF more exposure on Youtube. > This speaker has had some
pass reviews from Stereophile and Home Theater, plus foreign reviews from 2011.""

I understand but please realize most of our competition does 1 page press release style reviews. Hence why we came up with the Preview concept.

Sadly a 1 page preview article typically gets more traffic than a traditional 5k-10k multi page formal review. WE try to mix it up of course but it's a challenge finding people willing and capable of writing reviews to the level of detail that myself, Cliff Heyne, Josh Ricci or Joel Foust do. Very few candidates have the ability to measure and analyze. If anyone is up to the challenge, please PM me.
Agree with Zieg. The word 'preview' seems out of place. Preview means 'advance'. This is more of a post review since the Q900 has been out since early 2011 with Kal over at Stereophile doing a review and Adkinson doing measurements Sept 2011 and 6 Moons Nov 2011 and Sound and Vision May 2011.

Preview:
(noun) an inspection or viewing of something before it is bought or becomes generally known and available

(verb); display (a product, movie, play, etc.) before it officially goes on sale or opens to the public.

M

MidnightSensi2

Audioholic Chief
Really? What data do you see being collected? Please elaborate.
Sure, review AdThis since it's embedded and not opt-in. That's disclosing data to third parties, including that which can aid in personal identification 'addition' of detail. I'm happy to take a look at it closer with you, fire me a pm.

In case I came off like a paranoid guy in a log cabin: I don't feel that Audioholics has knowingly been violating my privacy heh. Was more of a comment like 'Oh, yeah, another legal document to update" pity lol.

M

MidnightSensi2

Audioholic Chief
It's a subjective review with a video feature. Youtube followers are a different type of reader/viewer than the average reader on Audioholics. This video has excellent information about the product and does NOT violate quality of content. Try taking a look at what some of our competition is doing, especially with videos, in comparison.

In any event, Hugo and I will be doing more videos as well as Marshall and we tend to take things a bit deeper so that should really satisfy the diehard Audioholics reader.
I'm not really sure who your competition is. I don't have enough information to really comment on that.

The deeper videos I look forward to.

Soon you'll have cine-sliders, a killer lighting setup and HMAs getting you ready. l)

Marshall_Guthrie

Marshall_Guthrie

Audioholics Videographer Extraordinaire
I'm not really sure who your competition is. I don't have enough information to really comment on that.

Soon you'll have cine-sliders, a killer lighting setup and HMAs getting you ready. l)
I have a green screen and try to shower less than 24 hours before I shoot. Does that count?

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan

In some ways, I think they are trying to compete with CNET.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
It's not that Gene is trying to turn Audioholics into CNET, so much as he's aiming to build up site traffic; that ultimately means preview articles. This Sony sound bar preview for example generated more site traffic than all of my AV Research articles combined. It's slightly depressing since far more time and effort went into something like the recent ported vs sealed sub article (and lets face it, one was much more interesting to write than the other), but it is what it is. Of course, the idea is to do more than just draw people in for a single article. Once here, the hope is that they'll explore a bit to find the "good stuff", and come back for more.

Marshall_Guthrie

Marshall_Guthrie

Audioholics Videographer Extraordinaire
It's not that Gene is trying to turn Audioholics into CNET, so much as he's aiming to build up site traffic; that ultimately means preview articles. This Sony sound bar preview for example generated more site traffic than all of my AV Research articles combined. It's slightly depressing since far more time and effort went into something like the recent ported vs sealed sub article (and lets face it, one was much more interesting to write than the other), but it is what it is. Of course, the idea is to do more than just draw people in for a single article. Once here, the hope is that they'll explore a bit to find the "good stuff", and come back for more.
And keep in mind...the more site traffic AH gets, the more seriously they are taken by manufacturers, and the more products are submitted for hands-on reviews. Having access to the latest and greatest in Tech and AV means AH needs content at every level, including the preview articles.

T

tom67

Full Audioholic
I have a set of IQ 3s which are two generations back, but same uni- Q idea .....very poor design and weakest bookshelf speakers I have owned..just a 40 year old coax idea meant for auto installation where space is At a premium....This is not a great Idea having a tweeter in the middle of a woofer vibrating it constantly......just sales fluff and light weight basic products .....900s worth less than $400/ pr Polks

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
I don't have any problems with preview articles as long as they are not years after the product was introduced.

Personally I can't wait for AH to do a piece on those high priced USB cables vs your normal USB cables that are built to USB standards with some technical data and not to forget measurements identifying the construction benefits some of these USB cable vendor claim (truth or not) impact what one hears.

M

MidnightSensi2

Audioholic Chief
What about on the homepage if you separated the 'preview feed' from the 'article and review feed'? Instead of one column, have two. That would stop the frequent previews from pushing the more useful articles and reviews down the page so fast.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
We will NEVER be as big as CNET but we certainly have far more traffic than any other AV Review Magazine. However, it's still a challenge to be taken seriously by some manufacturers that still have their head in Print which by all intents and purposes is an obsolete format.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
What about on the homepage if you separated the 'preview feed' from the 'article and review feed'? Instead of one column, have two. That would stop the frequent previews from pushing the more useful articles and reviews down the page so fast.
I will have my site ADMIN explore that option in the very near future site redesign. thx,

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I will have my site ADMIN explore that option in the very near future site redesign. thx,
This is not a bad Idea. Another one which I was begging for a very, very long time is to make a way to filter them out if one is looking for Reviews. Which would let me browse much more useful reviews, which honestly I can't anymore since reviews section got "polluted" with previews

I do understand that majority of traffic gets to AH from Google search results. but I think it's ridiculous if to find an article I must use custom search (site:audioholics.com) on google instead of using site navigation

Steve81 and Gene - not always quantity means quality (re:site traffic)

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I do understand that majority of traffic gets to AH from Google search results. but I think it's ridiculous if to find an article I must use custom search (site:audioholics.com) on google instead of using site navigation
When I implemented the Google Panda SEO fix on our site by simplifying our folder structure, we had to kill our navigation. Now we have a very simple Navbar with a site map at the bottom of the page, global. This works ALOT better. Nobody uses NAvbars anymore. 70% of our traffic is new and almost everyone is finding our content in Google not by navigating the site. Our SEO is so good just type in a product name/model and you will typically find us on the first page of Google.

I do want to improve our NAV and search function in the site redesign but sadly the majority of users simply won't use it.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis