KEF Q900 Tower Speakers Reviewed

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Audioholics is monetizing the site through content marketing, which relies on publishing as often as possible to raise search engine ranking and hit more keywords. When people are curious about a product, they generally search for that direct model number. Audioholics then can 'preview' a speaker, and quickly rank for that search query. This drives traffic to the site. Traffic equates to advertising revenue. Generally traffic analytics is used to then 'pitch' companies like Martin Login to sponsor the costs of making videos, managing the site, etc.

Martin Logan may be fine with this agreement regarding the videos. One of the main psychological concepts of content marketing is to make a brand a trusted source of information. When you trust them, your more likely to buy from them.

Where this gets irritating is when it is done without regard for quality of content. Matt Cutts (s/p) of Google wrote an interesting article about when this becomes 'robotic' in nature and, generally just pollution. This 'preview' is actually one of the better ones, some previews are downright junk straight off the press release.

In the end, this can bite Audioholics back. People keep searching, and these 'previews' keep appearing - which aren't as helpful for purchasing decisions. In turn, they trust Audioholics less as a reviewing resource.

I have a hard time knocking Audioholics for wanting to monetize the site as best they can, but, I too struggle with some of the newer practices. The quality and thoughtful comments of forum members are what keep me here. :)

It's a subjective review with a video feature. Youtube followers are a different type of reader/viewer than the average reader on Audioholics. This video has excellent information about the product and does NOT violate quality of content. Try taking a look at what some of our competition is doing, especially with videos, in comparison.

In any event, Hugo and I will be doing more videos as well as Marshall and we tend to take things a bit deeper so that should really satisfy the diehard Audioholics reader.

PS. The MartinLogan ad in the KEf video is a GAFF done by our editor which I am trying to get him to change.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I have a hard time knocking Audioholics for wanting to monetize the site as best they can, but, I too struggle with some of the newer practices. The quality and thoughtful comments of forum members are what keep me here. :)
I for the most part agree, I do not really want to knock - however I
have been somewhat disappointed.

The Audioholics of the past seems to be fading away.

The forum members are the only ones, that also keep me here

Hugo Rivera

Hugo Rivera

Audioholics VP of Marketing

Audioholics will now become even better than it was in the past. Now we have Gene himself making videos where myths are being debunked and we are also taking a look at what topics to cover in order to help our audience best. Furthermore, as Gene alluded to, there will be more video reviews made by Gene, Marshall and myself in which we cover the product in the greatest detail so that you can make an informed buying decision. Finally, I have taken over all of the marketing functions of the company so that Gene can just focus on content creation which is what he does best. If you have some recommendations on what else we can do to improve, we are all ears. :)

Thanks for your support!

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
If you have some recommendations on what else we can do to improve, we are all ears. :)

Thanks for your support!
Something near the nature, yet maybe different (Audioholic's style), compared to this other forum
This was some nice subjective detailed reviews, with some in-room measurements.
The Official $3,000 Speaker Evaluation / Home Audition Event - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

One thing to note, KEF refused to send one of their R series towers for review.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Something near the nature, yet maybe different (Audioholic's style), compared to this other forum
This was some nice subjective detailed reviews, with some in-room measurements.
The Official $3,000 Speaker Evaluation / Home Audition Event - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

One thing to note, KEF refused to send one of their R series towers for review.
Shootouts are a manufacturers nightmare. Unless everyone ties kinda like the results in this shootout, nobody is happy. We've done our share of shootouts but tend to shy away b/c of the complexity of doing them right and potential sore losers. Our 2010 Floorstanding Shootout had a sore loser unfortunately.

We may revisit this in the form of a video review however. Hugo and I have some ideas.

Last edited:
gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator

I understand but please realize most of our competition does 1 page press release style reviews. Hence why we came up with the Preview concept.

Sadly a 1 page preview article typically gets more traffic than a traditional 5k-10k multi page formal review. WE try to mix it up of course but it's a challenge finding people willing and capable of writing reviews to the level of detail that myself, Cliff Heyne, Josh Ricci or Joel Foust do. Very few candidates have the ability to measure and analyze. If anyone is up to the challenge, please PM me.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Audioholics will now become even better than it was in the past. Now we have Gene himself making videos where myths are being debunked and we are also taking a look at what topics to cover in order to help our audience best.
Just to offer my two cents, I think this is really where the value of AH is found. Yeah, reviews and measurements are great; but pursuing the truth in A/V in large part comes down to debunking the BS spewed by a large portion of the industry, as well as offering an A/V education. In those respects, I think Audioholics is as strong as it ever was (though I might be a bit biased ;) )

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
We've done our share of shootouts but tend to shy away b/c of the complexity of doing them right and potential sore losers. Our 2010 Floorstanding Shootout had a sore loser unfortunately.

We may revisit this in the form of a video review however. Hugo and I have some ideas.
Then the manufacturer needs to go back and re-work their speakers.:)

A lot of people tend to ask in the forums, which is the best for my money.

Also, a lot of people who do not join the forums - still read them with the
same questions in mind.

I do like one thing about the other forum - with this pass, and a former multi
speaker evaluation, they did both retail and ID speaker companies in the mix.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Then the manufacturer needs to go back and re-work their speakers.:)

A lot of people tend to ask in the forums, which is the best for my money.

Also, a lot of people who do not join the forums - still read them with the
same questions in mind.

I do like one thing about the other forum - with this pass, and a former multi
speaker evaluation, they did both retail and ID speaker companies in the mix.
We had retail and ID speakers in this shootout:
2010 Audioholics $1k Floorstanding Loudspeaker Faceoff | Audioholics

Ironically the companies that dislike shootouts the most are often the ones that claim to do them blind and win their own tests. Klipsch is one of the few brands that is FULLY ready to be in a shootout and not complain about the results.

With the exception of a few online subwoofer companies (ie. HSU, SVS), we have found no direct correlation between value and whether or not a loudspeaker company sells retail or direct. Profit margins are set by the manufacturers, not by any magic formula that "cutting the middle man out" avoids. Most retail speaker companies are now also selling direct too and usually at the same prices!

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Yeah, reviews and measurements are great; but pursuing the truth in A/V in large part comes down to debunking the BS spewed by a large portion of the industry, as well as offering an A/V education. In those respects, I think Audioholics is as strong as it ever was (though I might be a bit biased ;) )
Then also do videos on the measuring concept - and do some debunk with that.
A lot of companies only release certain measurements - and some also do show
different octave smoothing - plus some show 5 db and some 10 db increments.

There are some new people out there, who want to know and have some questions
about the principle of measuring.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator

you mean like this article?
Audio Measurements: The Useful vs. the Bogus in Consumer Audio | Audioholics

I spent a lot of time writing that and it barely got any forum comments.

Also we have a video on how we measure loudspeakers:

Last edited by a moderator:
zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
We had retail and ID speakers in this shootout:
2010 Audioholics $1k Floorstanding Loudspeaker Faceoff | Audioholics

Ironically the companies that dislike shootouts the most are often the ones that claim to do them blind and win their own tests. Klipsch is one of the few brands that is FULLY ready to be in a shootout and not complain about the results.

With the exception of a few online subwoofer companies (ie. HSU, SVS), we have found no direct correlation between value and whether or not a loudspeaker company sells retail or direct. Profit margins are set by the manufacturers, not by any magic formula that "cutting the middle man out" avoids.
I have read all the former reviews - that is one of the things that brought me here.

I for the most part, do not go for that middle man stuff - there really is no one supreme
side. Ascend tried to get their towers made/ready for that past forum evaluation.

While I am not a real Klipsch fan - I do like the fact that they let their speakers get reviewed.
They know their target consumer - and they are confident that something positive will be said.
I understand why people like their speakers.

I am not a big fan of blind or double blind testing - do the same 3rd party blind testing again
in a week or month - then see what the results are.

Also, get 3 speakers - then when you start the test only play one of the 3 speakers, and make
believe that you switched the speakers - then check the result from the audience - maybe that
would be interesting. 30 day in home trial is the best way to evaluate.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I have read all the former reviews - that is one of the things that brought me here.

I for the most part, do not go for that middle man stuff - there really is no one supreme
side. Ascend tried to get their towers made/ready for that past forum evaluation.

While I am not a real Klipsch fan - I do like the fact that they let their speakers get reviewed.
They know their target consumer - and they are confident that something positive will be said.
I understand why people like their speakers.

I am not a big fan of blind or double blind testing - do the same 3rd party blind testing again
in a week or month - then see what the results are.

Also, get 3 speakers - then when you start the test only play one of the 3 speakers, and make
believe that you switched the speakers - then check the result from the audience - maybe that
would be interesting. 30 day in home trial is the best way to evaluate.
I encourage you to read this article and watch our video if you haven't already:
Loudspeaker Myths: Separating the Scientific Facts from Science Fiction | Audioholics

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I understand that. But at the price they are charging, a good finish would add an insignificant amount to the cost. Imagine buying a car for $100,000 that they just put primer on, and did not put any paint on top of it. Would you think it odd that someone complained about that, and tell them that you are paying for the great engine and suspension?

At the price they are charging, they should have a good finish. $1800 for a pair of speakers is not cheap, and they should come with a good finish. If we were talking about something cheap, like the Andrew Jones Pioneer speakers, then it would make sense, since they are trying to be as cheap as reasonably possible. But when they are asking $1800/pair for speakers, we are not talking about cheap, and so a couple of dollars spent on a decent finish is something that should be standard.
I would prefer to put the extra $ into highly-bracing the cabinets, before the $ goes into the finish. Performance first, aesthetics second. To use your car analogy, why would I care what my car looks like if I spank everyone at the track.

To each his own.

But the fact is, this is a mid-level offering from KEF, if you want nicer finish then you gotta move up the line. This line is a cheaper way to get a taste of the coax driver.

And, $1800 is MSRP, nobody pays MSRP. A4L has them B-stock for $1300 a pair.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord

Now, I like that idea. It would be great to see Gene take some AH measurements, then show how some other companies could cook the books to get their measurements.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Now, I like that idea. It would be great to see Gene take some AH measurements, then show how some other companies could cook the books to get their measurements.
Might make it tough to get new sponsors :eek: :D

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
PS. The MartinLogan ad in the KEf video is a GAFF done by our editor which I am trying to get him to change.
Glad to hear this.

btw: *ssssh* it's spelled "gaffe" *** :rolleyes:;)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis