Just bought AKG K702's

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Agree.
I got the 650's after a recommendation from Markw and a test drive of his Grado's and a pair of Sennheiser.
Senn 650's were the most comfortable I've ever worn.
Haven't tried Senn's 650s,but for me most comfortable yet were Sony MDR-SA5000. Reviews says that K702/K712 are very very comfortable. I'll be the judge of that :)

So current status is : China made K702 are going back to amazon unopened and waiting for delivery of K712 Pro

quick FR compare:

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
First review of AKG K712 Pro

Ok, Just got them now: First of all - this goes without saying they are several classes above anything else I heard before. Extremely clear and sound stage is simply amazing...
Now regarding 3db bass boost - yes - it is noticeable, but not unpleasant - I could do without it, but it doesn't bother me. I think it makes overall sound richer and more full.

Quality - it's hard to say just now - but so far it's immaculate. Every single detail is carefully met with every t crossed and i's dotted

Comfort - well, they are over the ear - probably could fit even largest heads if needed. I probably wont recommend them for smaller head folks. I will try to post extended listening experience later on.

Oh and yea - if recording is done crappy or overly compressed - it will sound absolutely terrible - no mercy here.

I'll post pictures later if wanted

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
Those sound nice.
Hey BSA, what are the ear pads made of?

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I am starting to get that open back headphones might not be good choice for open floor office.
I get one too many comments about my music preferences :(

Anyways I didn't intend to keep $400 headphones in the office. My good old Fostex RP-T20 (semi-open) are more than plenty and upgraded with Shure pads they as good as new :)

B

bikemig

Audioholic Chief
Looking forward to reading the review. I really like my Beyerdynamic DT880s (250 ohm version); they need an amp to open up but the audiofun gd dac/amp I picked up when I first got into headphones has a good amp section. I've been tempted to pick up the Sennheiser HD650s but it looks like the AKG 712 pros would be a good option as well.

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
Had my eye on them for a while and decided to execute as my b-day nears...
Will let ya know what I think of them as soon as I get them
I have always wanted some AKG headphones. Although I'm mostly interested in the Quincy Jones series.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
shamefully, I had very little critical listening with these yet. One thing for sure. the extra bass is noticeable, but to be honest I maybe should've got the more neutral K702 65 Anniv edition
At the same time they extremely revealing. Can't comment on long term comfort just yet

M

Maudio

Enthusiast
I have had my 701 for 2 years now.. and my verdict is that good sounding well made recordings sounds very good on them. Classical , Jazz and acoustic music benefits.
I listen to many types of music except punk and death metal.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Agree.
I got the 650's after a recommendation from Markw and a test drive of his Grado's and a pair of Sennheiser.
Senn 650's were the most comfortable I've ever worn.
Recently bought Senn's 558 on big sale on amazon for $80 - they are more conformable than my Fostex, but not nearly as comfy as my 712s. The issue is the are pressing a bit too hard on the head.
Sound is really good - very hard to beat that level of SQ for only $80...

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
What is the sound signature on all those headphones. Mostly airy?

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
What is the sound signature on all those headphones. Mostly airy?
very neutral and airy as you mentioned due to open back design. Haven't removed the foam yet (mod).
During some low bass scenes they played low bass very impressively.

Yet to compare them vs k712pro

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
Recently bought Senn's 558 on big sale on amazon for $80 - they are more conformable than my Fostex, but not nearly as comfy as my 712s. The issue is the are pressing a bit too hard on the head.
Sound is really good - very hard to beat that level of SQ for only $80...
Comfort is really a personal thing tho, for me the HD558 are much more comfortable to wear than said AKG models. So it really depends on what fits your head best. HD558 at that price indeed is really hard to beat, HD598 go for 99$ sometimes and is another steal price.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis