Just bought AKG K702's

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Had my eye on them for a while and decided to execute as my b-day nears...
Will let ya know what I think of them as soon as I get them

Last edited:
afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Always read that the 701's were great for Jazz, but lacked some bass. Looking foward to your review and Happy Almost Birthday!

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
701/702 do lack EXTRA bass :) aka they don't add any. Perhaps that's the reason many like too bassy (imo) ATH-M50 , but I can't stand them
I am highly interested in neutral headphones

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
The new Pioneer SE-A1000 I got are amazing, most people say they are bass shy, but they are just tight, which I like. I bet they are similar to your AKG's. M50's with EQ sound amazing on my Cowon X7 Flac/MP3 player. I don't like over done bass. I like to keep it real.:D I would never buy beats headphones thats for sure. What gens do you listen to?

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
It varies a lot, I like many genres - From Jazz,Blues, Classic and Prog rock, Funk and Soul to Classical and sometime when in right mood even some Viking/Folk Metal

Speaking of AKG's - since I first tried open back Sony MDR-SA5000 - Amazon.com : Sony MDR-SA5000 DJ Stereo Headphones (Old Version) : Electronics
I wanted a very plush and comfortable open back headphones myself - I love sound of both my Fostex RP20 and RP50 but neither are very comfortable for me for extended listening

jinjuku

jinjuku

I prefer the 701's for critical listening. The ATH-M50 for movies (if the family is asleep). Yes I own both :)

M

MrHeadGear

Enthusiast
I prefer the 701's for critical listening. The ATH-M50 for movies (if the family is asleep). Yes I own both :)
never try the 701 or 702, but i like the sound from ATH-M50. Love it when playing some jazz music, and yes it's great for movies!
(actually, i'm using M50 and Marshall Major)
:p

looking for the review from you too
:)

Last edited:
BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
never try the 701 or 702, but i like the sound from ATH-M50. Love it when playing some jazz music, and yes it's great for movies!
(actually, i'm using M50 and Marshall Major)
:p

looking for the review from you too
:)
Gotta give it to you guys, maybe I missed the point on usage of ATH-M50's - I could see for movies they could be a good fit :)

V

VE4CAN

Enthusiast
Just read that most AKG headphones production was moved to China.:eek:

Amazon currently selling the AKG K702 for $223.00 USD's [It's made in China]:mad:

The original tooling and design specs remain the property of AKG Austria. AKG and all of the Harman companies are seeking lower labor costs in order to remain competitive and are trying not to undermine well known quality and design innovation.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Great, thanks for letting me know now :( still with everything else made in China I'm not really surprised
edit:
Looks like older K701 also switched to China. Only ones in the series still made in Austria are K702 65 Anniv edition which now sold for 399, but on sometimes sale for 350-370

Last edited:
BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
yeeeap, got the 702's yesterday - Made in China indeed... I don't get it. Yes, apples to apples price makes a difference for me, but buying a premium brand I don't mind spending premium dollar for guaranteed high quality (I have seen some recent amazon reviews for quality issues in new China 702 batches)

Oh well, I probably will have to open wallet wider for AKG 712 Pro - for now they supposed to be still be quality built in Vienna, Austria

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
They look nice, but pricey. Looks to be for large heads from the reviews like my Pioneers.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
They look nice, but pricey. Looks to be for large heads from the reviews like my Pioneers.
I'm 6'1" and a bit over 200lbs :rolleyes: ... I believe my head is sufficiently large :p

Regarding price - the way I look at it is that their current price of $379 is not far off from original price for Austrian made K701/K702 and it fact MSRP for K712 Pro is over $600 - I guess you can call it a good deal? :)

If Ferraris would be made in China, but cost half - would this bring more buyers??? I just don't get it

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Just got an early b-day preset. $200 amazon gift card. K712 Pros are ordered ! only $179 for me to cover :) Woo hoo

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Sweet! Congrats on the (upcoming) new headphones. And happy early birthday!

connieflyer

connieflyer

Audioholic
The best I have used are the Sennheiser HD 650's, I use these two-three hours in the morning and the same or longer at night and never get hot or uncomfortable. The sound is very engaging with a host of different music and sources. These are my go to headphones, until I can get the hd 800's but even then have no plans to retire these.

connieflyer

connieflyer

Audioholic
My brother has been using the 600s since 2001 and still loves them. If I used headphones, I'd sure be looking into their models.
I have owned many of the Sennheiser models, keep moving up the line, and have enjoyed each one. I had a hard time deciding between the hd600 and the hd650, but after many , many reviews and trying both I went with the 650's, had a little more bass, and rolled of the treble just a tiny bit but to me, it helped to make the 650's to be able to sit on my noggin for hours on end enjoying the experience. Moving up to the Ember headphone amp, was the finally piece of the puzzle. Tried several different tubes, before settling on one in particular that opened up the soundstage and had the smooth verlvety sound I graved. Vocals are just sensational. Almost had the wife leave me, listening to Diana Krall, was unreal. Did not want to turn off amp.

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
I have owned many of the Sennheiser models, keep moving up the line, and have enjoyed each one. I had a hard time deciding between the hd600 and the hd650, but after many , many reviews and trying both I went with the 650's, had a little more bass, and rolled of the treble just a tiny bit but to me, it helped to make the 650's to be able to sit on my noggin for hours on end enjoying the experience. Moving up to the Ember headphone amp, was the finally piece of the puzzle. Tried several different tubes, before settling on one in particular that opened up the soundstage and had the smooth verlvety sound I graved. Vocals are just sensational. Almost had the wife leave me, listening to Diana Krall, was unreal. Did not want to turn off amp.
Agree.
I got the 650's after a recommendation from Markw and a test drive of his Grado's and a pair of Sennheiser.
Senn 650's were the most comfortable I've ever worn.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis