JTR Captivator vs Funk Audio 18.x series - which is the better performing subwoofer?

N

Nuance AH

Audioholic General
Take your pick of both the sealed and ported versions of the JTR Captivator and Funk Audio 18.x series subwoofers and which one do you think will come out on top? I am not shopping for a subwoofer (though I kind of wish I was considering these two manufacturers are tops), but a friend is. His room isn't gigantic, but it's probably 3-4000 cubic feet if I had to estimate. His budget is around $2000, and he has no preference between ported and sealed. If he goes with the latter, though, he'd likely get a second sealed unit down the road. Come to think of it, he'll probably get two regardless of ported or sealed eventually.

So, which will likely be the better performer?

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Both subs are extremely flat, but if aesthetics mean anything Funk is the obvious choice. With aesthetics aside I think it gets a little trickier. Not all of the 18.X come with the TSAD driver, plus in order to get the TSAD in the 18.0 you have to get the passive version to stay within budget, but then again you're not really within budget because you have to get an amp for it. I think that with a hard budget of $2000 and no aesthetic considerations I'd take a hard look at JTR, but for a dual sub configuration and a more flexible budget that dual 18.0's will be better. They're cleaner into much higher frequencies making them easier to blend with the mains and I've heard some pretty darn good things about that amp with built in DSP. Not that the JTR amps and DSP is bad per se.

As I type this I'm mulling the decision over and if it were me, for a dedicated HT room where you weren't really going to see the subs I'd probably get the JTR's. For just about every other room and/or situation I want the TSAD and the excellent cabinetry.

J

jcl

Senior Audioholic
I remember seeing a writeup of a get together and the Seaton Catalyst seemed to come out on top, but I can't seem to find it now. Also wondering if two powersound xs30's might work and save some money?
+1 for the Funk Audio looks, they are beautiful.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Audioholics will be reviewing & measuring the Funk 18.0 & 8.2P speakers.

Funk Audio is proud to show measurements of their speakers & subs.

We may never see a review of the JTR or Seaton or any measurements. I think they (Funk, Seaton, JTR) are all at the top of the food chain.

One thing is for sure. I am proud to have my Funk 18.0 sitting next to my Salon2, 802D2, & 201/2. :D

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
for a dedicated HT room where you weren't really going to see the subs I'd probably get the JTR's. For just about every other room and/or situation I want the TSAD and the excellent cabinetry.
Ditto. Looking at the respective product lines, I think it's fair to expect that JTR offers more output for the dollar, but I know which one I'd rather have in my room. Heck, if Funk's current lineup had been available when I bought my current PB13U, I'd have given a very hard look at the 18.1.

M

MidnightSensi2

Audioholic Chief
I haven't heard the Funk, so I can't vote. However, I will say, he won't be disappointed with the JTR. If he hasn't had a subwoofer like your talking about, he's probably going to not believe what he is hearing. So, if the Funk and JTR are on par (again, I can only vouch for JTR) ... he's going to be happy regardless.

Can you talk to both companies and see about doing a demo? Maybe someone local or near local (hey, road trips are fun hehe) if they have a demo sub? Still also a matter of preference.

I just think if someone hasn't been exposed to something like that the first one they hear they'll buy. I mean, the JTR subwoofers make rooms feel like they are going to implode. Remember when we used to ***** about hitting a limiter or distortion? Now we have subwoofers our ears can't handle.

J

jcl

Senior Audioholic
I remember seeing a writeup of a get together and the Seaton Catalyst seemed to come out on top, but I can't seem to find it now. Also wondering if two powersound xs30's might work and save some money?
+1 for the Funk Audio looks, they are beautiful.
In my hurry to get out the door I really bungered this one. Seaton's sub is the submersive, catalyst are the powered speakers. Here's a link to that sub showdown I was thinking of, including measurements. Funk was not represented. SUBFEST 2011-HuskerOmaha and Desertdome's Subwoofer Showdown Some like dual Captivators, others the Seaton Submersive the best.

Last edited:
Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Take your pick of both the sealed and ported versions of the JTR Captivator and Funk Audio 18.x series subwoofers and which one do you think will come out on top? I am not shopping for a subwoofer (though I kind of wish I was considering these two manufacturers are tops), but a friend is. His room isn't gigantic, but it's probably 3-4000 cubic feet if I had to estimate. His budget is around $2000, and he has no preference between ported and sealed. If he goes with the latter, though, he'd likely get a second sealed unit down the road. Come to think of it, he'll probably get two regardless of ported or sealed eventually.

So, which will likely be the better performer?
I gotta tell ya, Nuance AH, I like you a lot, but this is one silly thread. :) Unless a comparative test report is done or someone here has owned the JTR and either the 18.0 or the 18.3 one can't possibly know the answer to your question.

Last edited:
N

Nuance AH

Audioholic General
I gotta tell ya, Nuance AH, I like you a lot, but this is one silly thread. :) Unless a comparative test report is done or someone here has owned the JTR and either the 18.0 or the 18.3 one can't possibly know the answer to your question.
Well that's not very nice. I created the thread in hopes someone HAD compared both or perhaps took measurements of at least one. Why is that silly? I'm just looking for feedback from those that have heard them. I'd like to bring him to a GTG that features both, but I wanted to see if one had already been held. It not then I'll try to put one together myself.

Thanks for the replies thus far! Rick's budget isn't a hard 2K, just around that mark. Aesthetics are important to his wife, but neither of us think the JTR is ugly or anything, so his wife should be okay with either. Another forum member and I are planning a GTG event for the Spring or Summer, so perhaps we'll ask Funk and JTR to participate/attend.

Edit: I like you to Irv. :) Okay, enough gaying up the thread. Lol! :D

Last edited:
lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I've not seen a sub with more clean output than a TC Sounds LMS driver. Obviously you could get more output with one of the kicker drivers, but it would also not be as clean. I doubt the JTR has clean 120db ground plane measurements at 20hz. I'm sure in overall output it would win because it's designed for venue use, but for clean output TC is king at 20hz. But very few folks here would ever push either sub to the extreme. Both provide plenty of headroom.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I don't think Funk is using TC Sounds drivers anymore, however they claim their own TSAD drivers are comparable in performance, and if so, that would still be one hell of a subwoofer.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Well that's not very nice. I created the thread in hopes someone HAD compared both or perhaps took measurements of at least one. Why is that silly? I'm just looking for feedback from those that have heard them. I'd like to bring him to a GTG that features both, but I wanted to see if one had already been held. It not then I'll try to put one together myself.

Thanks for the replies thus far! Rick's budget isn't a hard 2K, just around that mark. Aesthetics are important to his wife, but neither of us think the JTR is ugly or anything, so his wife should be okay with either. Another forum member and I are planning a GTG event for the Spring or Summer, so perhaps we'll ask Funk and JTR to participate/attend.

Edit: I like you to Irv. :) Okay, enough gaying up the thread. Lol! :D
Oh all right. That JTR is huge and ugly. It weighs about 150 pounds. It looks like something my wife's band would want. The Funk 18.3 is so much better looking and better finished, and has a neo driver so you don't have to be imcloud to move it around. In a room that size any of these subs will have enough output to make you physically sick, so I'll bet output is a wash. The new 18.3 has even tempted me to chuck my Velodyne, but I can't come up with a reason why it'll really sound any better in my room, and I'm getting cheap in my old age.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I don't think Funk is using TC Sounds drivers anymore, however they claim their own TSAD drivers are comparable in performance, and if so, that would still be one hell of a subwoofer.
Funk will use whatever drivers you want, TC LMS Ultra, TSAD, or RE XXX (in terms of biggest best most expensive drivers). I have an e-mail somewhere in which Nathan told me that the RE XXX won out in the deep bass but was useless over 80Hz, the TC won out in the middle area, and the TSAD won out in the upper bass range. He said, all the drivers were close in all areas, separated by only a few db where output was concerned, but that the TSAD was able to stay clean and powerful nearly as low as the RE, was right on the TC's tail in that middle range, and started to run away from both of them in how much higher it could play. All in a package that was significantly lighter than both, as ADTG has noted. Obviously I paraphrased a bit, but that's the gist of it.

Somewhere around here there was a comparison of the LMS Ultra and the TSAD drivers. It was probably ADTG and I think he preferred the TSAD over the TC because the TSAD felt more realistic while the TC was powerful, but sounded a touch sluggish in comparison. This last bit was by memory, which is crap, so someone correct me if I'm mistaken.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Just to add oil to fire $2100 will get your friend a pair of Chase VS18.1 subs with amp(s). they measured by Josh Ricci and are very impressive (performance wise), but a burden to look at :)
Data-Bass

J

jcl

Senior Audioholic
Just to add oil to fire $2100 will get your friend a pair of Chase VS18.1 subs with amp(s). they measured by Josh Ricci and are very impressive (performance wise), but a burden to look at :)
Data-Bass
So Chase didn't close up shop due to Obama winning the election?

Didn't realize, the JTR Captivators are available in passive form, $1199 for the 1000, $1499 for the 2400.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
So Chase didn't close up shop due to Obama winning the election?

Didn't realize, the JTR Captivators are available in passive form, $1199 for the 1000, $1499 for the 2400.
I would be hesitant to buy anything from a guy that temperamental.

Also where do you see the product page for the passive caps? I thought that only difference between the 2400 and the 1000 was the amplification? So there is driver differences between the two as well?

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Funk will use whatever drivers you want, TC LMS Ultra, TSAD, or RE XXX (in terms of biggest best most expensive drivers). I have an e-mail somewhere in which Nathan told me that the RE XXX won out in the deep bass but was useless over 80Hz, the TC won out in the middle area, and the TSAD won out in the upper bass range. He said, all the drivers were close in all areas, separated by only a few db where output was concerned, but that the TSAD was able to stay clean and powerful nearly as low as the RE, was right on the TC's tail in that middle range, and started to run away from both of them in how much higher it could play. All in a package that was significantly lighter than both, as ADTG has noted. Obviously I paraphrased a bit, but that's the gist of it.

Somewhere around here there was a comparison of the LMS Ultra and the TSAD drivers. It was probably ADTG and I think he preferred the TSAD over the TC because the TSAD felt more realistic while the TC was powerful, but sounded a touch sluggish in comparison. This last bit was by memory, which is crap, so someone correct me if I'm mistaken.
Once you get that high up in quality there really is no wrong answer IMO. I thought it was Ricci that did the subs around here. Illka used to do them, but he lives in europe so it's hard to get drivers to him. JL Audio won the upper range in Illka's test, but that's been several years now.

J

jcl

Senior Audioholic
I would be hesitant to buy anything from a guy that temperamental.

Also where do you see the product page for the passive caps? I thought that only difference between the 2400 and the 1000 was the amplification? So there is driver differences between the two as well?
It's not obvious from the website that there are any other differences other than the amplifiers. The info on the passive models is a little footnote under the specs table on the product page for each sub.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis