JM Labs Focal Electra CC Tweeter Repair

M

Method

Junior Audioholic
Sup boys -

While out to diner w my old lady, I left my brother on babysitting duty. He must've got caught up "sexting" with some broads or something, because while at dinner, I got a text from him informing me that my 18 month old son removed the magnetic protector from the tweeter, stuck a hole through that thin "filmy" material, and proceeded to rip all that material out.

Please tell me there is an alternate repair option other than shipping it back to JM Labs in France. I need to get this thing fixed ASAP.

Any suggestions?

Im based out of Miami Beach, FL.

Thx, gents.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Sup boys -

While out to diner w my old lady, I left my brother on babysitting duty. He must've got caught up "sexting" with some broads or something, because while at dinner, I got a text from him informing me that my 18 month old son removed the magnetic protector from the tweeter, stuck a hole through that thin "filmy" material, and proceeded to rip all that material out.

Please tell me there is an alternate repair option other than shipping it back to JM Labs in France. I need to get this thing fixed ASAP.

Any suggestions?

Thx, gents.
You have a bad problem. JM Lab do not seem to have a distributor in the US that comes up from their website.

Who did you purchase the speakers from?

There is this dealer on Florida, No website.

=sounds Terrific Inc Ship (209.4 miles)
6536 Lincoln Way N.
St.Petersburg, FL33702
(727) 525-4800

There is this dealer on Georgia, but they do no carry your line, just Focal Genesis products.

I honestly think your best bet is to contact JL labs in France. I don't know if you can replace the tweeter separate from the mid as they seem to share a common face plate from the pictures.

If the dealer you bought the speaker from can not service the speaker, I fear this will turn out to be a big headache.

In the meantime set your rig to phantom center. If you left and right mains are good speakers, then you might find you don't even need the center.

highfigh

highfigh

Sup boys -

Any suggestions?

Thx, gents.
Look on the back of the tweeter for the part number. Then, you can find out if anyone has this in stock, they can order it or whatever. I agree- e-mail them to see what they recommend.

They probably won't repair it, although the driver may have a replaceable diaphragm.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Look on the back of the tweeter for the part number. Then, you can find out if anyone has this in stock, they can order it or whatever. I agree- e-mail them to see what they recommend.

They probably won't repair it, although the driver may have a replaceable diaphragm.
Focal make their own tweeters and some of the best. Unfortunately like Dynaudio they got out of the OEM market except for car audio.

After doing a search this morning, I'm pretty sure that tweeter has never been on the OEM market.

This is the speaker in question.

It looks as if the tweeter has a concave dome, so often favored by Focal.

The mid and tweeter are on the same faceplate.

The faceplate unscrews, and the mid looks as if comes off the faceplate.

The question is does the tweeter come off the face plate? My guess is probably not. So I suspect there is a good chance the tweeter comes with that face plate. So the repair would be transferring the mid to the new faceplate and then connecting the drivers and reinstalling the faceplate.

A picture of the back of that faceplate would be very helpful.

I have confirmed that Focal home audio drivers were removed from the OEM market in 2004. I can not find that Focal currently have a US importer from their website. I would contact them and ask if they have a US distributor who can supply you what you need. If not see if Focal will supply you from France. It is usual for European manufacturers to want proof of purchase before supplying replacement drivers unfortunately.

I think it is really misguided for speaker manufacturers not to make their drivers available OEM. From the old days, Gilbert Briggs of Wharfedale and Raymond Cooke of KEF would have told you that making their drivers available OEM and assisting home constructors was one of the most reliable and cheapest ways to gain market share. Modern business executives just have no clue.

Last edited:
highfigh

highfigh

Focal make their own tweeters and some of the best. Unfortunately like Dynaudio they got out of the OEM market except for car audio.

After doing a search this morning, I'm pretty sure that tweeter has never been on the OEM market.

This is the speaker in question.

It looks as if the tweeter has a concave dome, so often favored by Focal.

The mid and tweeter are on the same faceplate.

The faceplate unscrews, and the mid looks as if comes off the faceplate.

The question is does the tweeter come off the face plate? My guess is probably not. So I suspect there is a good chance the tweeter comes with that face plate. So the repair would be transferring the mid to the new faceplate and then connecting the drivers and reinstalling the faceplate.

A picture of the back of that faceplate would be very helpful.

I have confirmed that Focal home audio drivers were removed from the OEM market in 2004. I can not find that Focal currently have a US importer from their website. I would contact them and ask if they have a US distributor who can supply you what you need. If not see if Focal will supply you from France. It is usual for European manufacturers to want proof of purchase before supplying replacement drivers unfortunately.

I think it is really misguided for speaker manufacturers not to make their drivers available OEM. From the old days, Gilbert Briggs of Wharfedale and Raymond Cooke of KEF would have told you that making their drivers available OEM and assisting home constructors was one of the most reliable and cheapest ways to gain market share. Modern business executives just have no clue.
I'm familiar with Focal and Madisound has carried them in the past.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis