TheFactor

TheFactor

Audioholic Field Marshall
Well I think its time to take it to the next level even though i've been putting it off and get some room acoustic treatments and I only want to spend around 300 to 400 dollars so nothing to intense but just some basic room treatments and was wondering what brands would work the best and most economical im guessing Auralex is at the top of the list. Also placement as far as weres the best place to mount them for my application . i've attached some pics, also I'd like to mount them not with the tube glue but prefer Velcro or some type of hook system .I hoping to to get started with this project within the next month or so Any links and placement options would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance guys :)

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
My guess is as follows:

Directly behind the main speakers, vertically, on a hook. You'll have to move the movie poster, most likely.

Just left of the left speaker, below the thermostat.

Perhaps another behind your left side surround speaker.

Perhaps a 2pack of GIK 244, and 3pack of 242, totaling $320 before shipping. They also have (larger) room kits/combos, the smallest busting your budget by about $150 maybe.

If the 244/242, I'd use the 244s for directly behind the mains, and a 242 for below thermostat, another 242 for directly behind left surround, and the remaining 242 for somewhere else on that same wall.

Again, that's just my educated guess. Personally, I'd wait for b pape to chime in. ;) He may or may not mention the ceiling as a candidate.

TheFactor

TheFactor

Thanks Josten ! I knew you'd have some suggestions since it was your brilliant idea to begin with :) and that I should of listened to a long time ago :eek: Should they be above the speakers or directly behind them ? and should I use any for behind the subs ?

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Thanks Josten ! I knew you'd have some suggestions since it was your brilliant idea to begin with :) and that I should of listened to a long time ago :eek:
I wouldn't call a few weeks as a very long time!! ;) You turned around on that pretty quickly, I'd say. :D

Should they be above the speakers or directly behind them ? and should I use any for behind the subs ?
More as directly behind, than above. If it was me, I'd have them off the ground still if only for aesthetics. OTOH, where boundaries meet are places to become even a bigger bang for buck spot to treat.

HAH! I just googled SBIR for you, and one of the first hits is a post by b pape. ;)

http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/home-audio-acoustics/1818-general-acoustic-terms-sbir.html

Now, if you want to go overkill, you could use GIK to do behind, above, and everywhere else. lol, as with rmk's PIC.

TheFactor

TheFactor

I wouldn't call a few weeks as a very long time!! ;) You turned around on that pretty quickly, I'd say. :D

More as directly behind, than above. If it was me, I'd have them off the ground still if only for aesthetics. OTOH, where boundaries meet are places to become even a bigger bang for buck spot to treat.

HAH! I just googled SBIR for you, and one of the first hits is a post by b pape. ;)

http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/home-audio-acoustics/1818-general-acoustic-terms-sbir.html

Now, if you want to go overkill, you could use GIK to do behind, above, and everywhere else. lol, as with rmk's PIC.
A few weeks is very long for me since I was short changed in the patience department lol Thanks for the links although wall to wall acoustics would be nice but costly :eek: I think i'll go for the ones I can put directly behind the speakers. So your thinking just a few inches off the ground behind the speakers, i've sceene some were there above the speakers:confused: looks better but if not as effective i'll go with the more effective but less designer location since im going for performance lol I think lol .

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
A few weeks is very long for me since I was short changed in the patience department lol Thanks for the links although wall to wall acoustics would be nice but costly :eek: I think i'll go for the ones I can put directly behind the speakers. So your thinking just a few inches off the ground behind the speakers, i've sceene some were there above the speakers:confused: looks better but if not as effective i'll go with the more effective but less designer location since im going for performance lol I think lol .
Well, I believe the 244s are 4ft tall, so they will naturally be above and behind, simultaneously. ;)

and, btw, I have no real reason to think lower mounting will prove to be measurably better . . . I was just blurting out a random thought, I think . . .

TheFactor

TheFactor

Well, I believe the 244s are 4ft tall, so they will naturally be above and behind, simultaneously. ;)

and, btw, I have no real reason to think lower mounting will prove to be measurably better . . . I was just blurting out a random thought, I think . . .
Yes you are correct but :p my speakers are a little over 3 feet so not by much :D I've saw pics were the bottom of the treatment pads are above the speaker and looks great, maybe i'll comprimise and go halfway behind and above since my lowest speakers sits a little above the halfway point in the box.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
Yep, in the USA.

This is how I had mine. Excuse the various pictures as they were taken at different stages.

Thanks for the links ! are they local in the usa ? They have some pretty sweet looking stough.

TheFactor

TheFactor

Wow very nice those are pretty sweet and I like your setup to ! Are those cutom made to order or does he normaly stock some of them ?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis