Is this Pyle unit worth $7/lb

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I wouldnt purchase any of their products. Are you looking for a distribution amp?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Pyle is invariably a pile of you know what.

If it is a distribution amp, and that is what this is, you want, look at Russound.

T

tom67

Full Audioholic
I wouldnt purchase any of their products. Are you looking for a distribution amp?
Just starting to look for an amp for a 2nd system....no urgency. Find is interesting that this 50 year old company putting out a 50 lb product for this price. I wonder how it really scores? Maybe someone will actually test it and report. Typically, bargain amps are very light weight which warns you off immediately.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Just starting to look for an amp for a 2nd system....no urgency. Find is interesting that this 50 year old company putting out a 50 lb product for this price. I wonder how it really scores? Maybe someone will actually test it and report. Typically, bargain amps are very light weight which warns you off immediately.
For a supposed 8,000 watt amp, 50 lbs. is very light. I think the monoprice 5x200 watt amp weighs close to 80 lbs.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Some Crown pro audio amps are light and wouldn't turn you off. As for Pyle their QC is non existent. That Pyle is a distribution amp that probably outputs about 60w channel at 4ohms. If a distribution amp is what your looking for, the brand TLS mentioned is reputable. Dayton Audio also has them for a good value.

T

tom67

Full Audioholic
For a supposed 8,000 watt amp, 50 lbs. is very light. I think the monoprice 5x200 watt amp weighs close to 80 lbs.
Yeah, we both know its not 8000 watts.....would need its own breaker. But at 50 lbs its in the ballpark with emotiva, Yamaha and Marantz units. Plus it sounds damn good on the video (just kidding)

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Yeah, we both know its not 8000 watts.....would need its own breaker. But at 50 lbs its in the ballpark with emotiva, Yamaha and Marantz units. Plus it sounds damn good on the video (just kidding)
Don't equate weight with quality in all amps.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

So you are into the wrong product. That Pyle is a distribution amp for whole house audio. If it for HT/AV then you need an amp for that purpose.

T

tom67

Full Audioholic
So you are into the wrong product. That Pyle is a distribution amp for whole house audio. If it for HT/AV then you need an amp for that purpose.
I believe it is bridgeable to use as a main amp

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I believe it is bridgeable to use as a main amp
Then you are stuck with high impedance speakers. You seem set on it. If you want to collect junk then buy that amp. I do my very best to avoid junk.

T

tom67

Full Audioholic
Then you are stuck with high impedance speakers. You seem set on it. If you want to collect junk then buy that amp. I do my very best to avoid junk.
Your comments are subjective...below is a review of an installer who likes these units and tested them. It is a venerable 57 year old company....

"Like most all other audio equipment, advertised ratings are in PEAK power. Don't ever expect to get a clean 1000W/channel from this amp. Having said that, I benched tested this amp using lab equipment. It DOES do a very clean 175W@8 ohms/channel. It does produce 325W/channel@4 ohms cleanly. However, using a curve and factoring in distortion of about 10%, those numbers look a little more like the ratings. Keep in mind, the specs on this amp ARE overrated for obvious reasons.... SALES!! If you are looking for a decent mildly powerful amp, this may come close to what you are looking for.

Regarding Ground-loop hums, grounding is a very important item and some amplifiers just have that quirk. I didn't experience that particular problem, but I did notice that the inputs ARE sensitive to very high frequency oscillation, which to the ear sound like a hum. These sounds are near the MEGAHERTZ region, so you would never hear them directly. Basically it comes from making the overall bandwidth to high. A nice 20-20,000Hz response would be sufficient. This amp actually extends past 50Khz when I tested it. Way too high!! Honestly it is typical of the music industry in general. Most better quality companies limit the amplifier's bandwidth to something that won't receive stray RF signals to the inputs. It is not a totally friendly amp to configure. Using the channel ONE left channel input and speaker output connections, you must select the "R" setting to get sound from the LEFT channel. I thought Left started with an "L". Same goes for the right channel. Select "L" for right channel output.

It is a beast to carry !! Not for the weak. (I needed help to get it back in the box so I could deliver it to its final location.)

The price of this amplifier is unreal!! I can't purchase just the two power transformers for the price of the whole amplifier.

The one negative thing I can say is the case is fairly flimsy. Do not think you can rack mount this from the front panel only. Not happening!! Use rear support as well. Check for rattles BEFORE plugging it in. Rotate the case around some to see if anything is floating loose inside. I have had that on other Pyle stuff, and this one was not an exception. Two loose screws were found inside and secured to their proper locations.

I just ordered amp #2 like this one for a job I am doing."

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I learned not to trust reviews. You can find a glowing review on almost any product. The one pasted above even acknowledges the company is full of poop with their ratings. That's a red flag for me right there.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Your comments are subjective...below is a review of an installer who likes these units and tested them. It is a venerable 57 year old company....

"Like most all other audio equipment, advertised ratings are in PEAK power. Don't ever expect to get a clean 1000W/channel from this amp. Having said that, I benched tested this amp using lab equipment. It DOES do a very clean 175W@8 ohms/channel. It does produce 325W/channel@4 ohms cleanly. However, using a curve and factoring in distortion of about 10%, those numbers look a little more like the ratings. Keep in mind, the specs on this amp ARE overrated for obvious reasons.... SALES!! If you are looking for a decent mildly powerful amp, this may come close to what you are looking for.

Regarding Ground-loop hums, grounding is a very important item and some amplifiers just have that quirk. I didn't experience that particular problem, but I did notice that the inputs ARE sensitive to very high frequency oscillation, which to the ear sound like a hum. These sounds are near the MEGAHERTZ region, so you would never hear them directly. Basically it comes from making the overall bandwidth to high. A nice 20-20,000Hz response would be sufficient. This amp actually extends past 50Khz when I tested it. Way too high!! Honestly it is typical of the music industry in general. Most better quality companies limit the amplifier's bandwidth to something that won't receive stray RF signals to the inputs. It is not a totally friendly amp to configure. Using the channel ONE left channel input and speaker output connections, you must select the "R" setting to get sound from the LEFT channel. I thought Left started with an "L". Same goes for the right channel. Select "L" for right channel output.

It is a beast to carry !! Not for the weak. (I needed help to get it back in the box so I could deliver it to its final location.)

The price of this amplifier is unreal!! I can't purchase just the two power transformers for the price of the whole amplifier.

The one negative thing I can say is the case is fairly flimsy. Do not think you can rack mount this from the front panel only. Not happening!! Use rear support as well. Check for rattles BEFORE plugging it in. Rotate the case around some to see if anything is floating loose inside. I have had that on other Pyle stuff, and this one was not an exception. Two loose screws were found inside and secured to their proper locations.

I just ordered amp #2 like this one for a job I am doing."
You asked about the product, you have been told it's junk, caveat emptor. I know plenty of professional installers and this product isn't on their list. Again an OP that asks a question and argues about the answers. And FWIW KLS is an old company doesn't mean that their current products are worth anything. Pyle is garbage now, aside from the review you plucked up are you willing to go thru the headaches of owing it?

T

tom67

Full Audioholic
You asked about the product, you have been told it's junk, caveat emptor. I know plenty of professional installers and this product isn't on their list. Again an OP that asks a question and argues about the answers. And FWIW KLS is an old company doesn't mean that their current products are worth anything. Pyle is garbage now, aside from the review you plucked up are you willing to go thru the headaches of owing it?
You have talked me down off the ledge....I'm not buying the damn thing. Just interesting when you see stuff like this. I think New Egg had refurbs for $130 a couple of years back. At that price you might bite, turn out the lights, listen and be honest with yourself and suffer the agony if it sounded better than what you had.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

I have a feeling Amazon screwed up the advertisement and that it is a 100 Watt amp per channel.
Just check that image of the back and it shows 1000 Watts consumption just below the AC plug.
And, the plug looks like a 15A plug.
At the company spec sheet:
Power Output: 8-Ch. x 1000 Watt MAX
I would interpret that total power out is a 1000 Watts. No 1000W per ch all driven.
And, it looks like each pair is a unit and may not be able to deliver 1000 Watts on one channel by itself.

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I reported it for incorrect info. Somebody might see it and jump on it thinking it's a good deal.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Hmm, a review that flat out tells you they are over-inflating their specs for sales and also tells you the quality control sucks because you may have to open up your brand new unit to secure loose screws?! This is exactly why people shouldn't buy pyle products.

I'm glad you're passing on this one Tom! I'm not against affordable products, but I am against junk presenting itself as a good buy.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis