Is the SVS the greatest subwoofer on Earth?

T

Torqueit

Audiophyte
I did my research and ended up with a Hsu STF-2. With the holiday sale price it came out to around $360 shipped.

Same bass coverage of the VTF-2 for substantially less money.

I think it sounds great in my very large room but I don't have much to compare it against (it replaced a Polk PSW10 and there is no comparison).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
To be honest, I'm not entirely sold on the idea of servo even though I really like Rythmik's subs. SVS subs generally measure flatter than Rythmik subs without using servo.
I find their measurements are too close to say that one measure flatter than the other. I find it to be splitting hairs.

M

Mancave

Audioholic Intern
Perhaps by going DIY or used, but good luck finding a better product with regards to build quality, reliability, output, and linearity at $499 shipped. 300 watts isn't a ton of power by any means, but the SVS driver makes use of every watt. The PB-1000 is only 3db behind the PB12-NSD which has been measured using CEA-2010 standards and is certainly not a slouch. Having heard the PB-1000, I'd hardly call it underpowered given its price unless you want boomy, sloppy bass. The only other non-DIY subs in the $500-$600 price range even worth a look are the Rythmik LV12R and HSU VTF-2 MK4 IMO.
What about the HSU STF-2?

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
What about the HSU STF-2?
The HSU STF-2 is a fine sub at $405 shipped (less now while on sale), but it won't have the output of the PB-1000 below 30hz. For that, you need to move up to the VTF-2 which is a great sub also, but costs a bit more. Another sub worth a look is the Rythmik LV12R which costs closer to $600 shipped, but an excellent sub.

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
The sb/pb 1000 series are the only SVS subs I know of in the 500.00 range.
I think he was asking which subs other than SVS are worth a look in the $500 range, unless I misunderstood the post.

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
SVS is easily beaten in the $500 price range. Their $500 offerings are a bit small and underpowered IMHO.
Which ones? I'd like to look at them as well, so I know what to do.
The sb/pb 1000 series are the only SVS subs I know of in the 500.00 range.
I think he was asking which subs other than SVS are worth a look in the $500 range, unless I misunderstood the post.
Here we see the full sequence, and how the polite question about the ridiculous post that started this digression has been misunderstood.

No one who has been paying attention to subwoofer reviews lately, in which there are actual measurements, has any doubt that it is nonsense to say that SVS is easily beaten at the $500 price point. SVS is, quite simply, the best you can currently get at $500, with the only possible exception being something else at that price that no one has published any proper review of yet.

dalumberjack

dalumberjack

Audioholic
So I am finally at a point in my TV room I can upgrade a few things. I don't feel the need to redo my speakers so I am looking at my subs.

I have two VTF 3.3's that I bought in 2009 I believe. This was all I could afford at the time and have been VERY happy with them. They have performed like a champs and have had no major issues issues with them. That being said, I was looking at the SVS PB-13 ultra and the HSU VT-15H and are wondering if things could be better?

Any thoughts or comments are appreciated. My room isn't huge so I know two subs of this size might be over kill, but I like having two subs. One on either side of the couch to even out room response.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
If you want something which is substantially better than two VTF3 mk3s, you will have to get something beefier than a PB13 Ultra or a VTF15h. If you want to know how a VTF3 mk3 would compare to those, you can use the Outlaw LFM-1 EX's measurements as a rough guide at this website, since the Outlaw is like a sister sub to the VTF3. Note the VTF3 would likely behave a bit better than the Outlaw at lower frequencies due to its larger ports. If you wanted a real tangible step up from the VTF3s, I would be looking at dual SVS PB12 Pluses or dual Rythmik FV15HPs. Or, you can just get off the upgrade merry-go-round forever and go for the big guys, Seaton, Funk, JTR. You could also achieve that kind of performance for less than the cost of a PB13 Ultra if you are willing to take on a DIY project.

B

Bear123

Junior Audioholic
I think lumberjack indicated he was considering duals of either the pb13ultra or vtf15. Dual PB13's would be a massive upgrade over your vtf3's. The VTF15's would be an upgrade but nowhere near the dual ultras. I agree with Shadys other suggestion of the Rythmik FV15HP's. These appear to be a close match to the ultras output.

dalumberjack

dalumberjack

Audioholic
I think lumberjack indicated he was considering duals of either the pb13ultra or vtf15. Dual PB13's would be a massive upgrade over your vtf3's. The VTF15's would be an upgrade but nowhere near the dual ultras. I agree with Shadys other suggestion of the Rythmik FV15HP's. These appear to be a close match to the ultras output.
This is what I am considering. What ever I choose I will do duals. I am leaning towards the pb13 ultras but I will look into Rythmik as well. I also booked marked Seaton Sound as well. But for the price of $3,600 for two pb13's can I really do any better near that price?

B

bigpow

Audioholic Intern
SVS does not make the greatest subwoofers on earth. Probably some crazy expensive subwoofer that costs more than some cars would be the greatest. However, SVS makes great subwoofers, all of which are a good value. The company is solid and reliable, with good customer service and good warranties. You cannot go wrong with SVS. And at your price of $500, SVS probably cannot be beat.

Hsu is also a good company, with excellent subwoofers for the money. You probably can't go wrong with one of them either. I personally would go with SVS, but Hsu is an excellent choice.
This.

It's one thing if a company designs and makes excellent products, but no matter what, they'd miss one or two.
This is where the word service is, in Customer Service. It's how the company would make up for their mistakes.

I've only heard positive feedbacks from SVS customers.

Hsu, on the other hand, I've heard mixed stories. You should do more research to find out if this is true or not. Their own forum is a good place to start.

If I ever need another house shaker, I'd go with SVS.
I bought A5-350 (excellent sub for thr buck, when working) from eD, and although I had to pay to get it repaired once, the fact that they're no longer around bugs me more than product being unreliable.
On top of that, they lied and cheated their customers towards the end of their operation days. Even when as far as editing the forum posts.

Thing is, I bought it from eD, even after learning about thr whole AV123 fiasco.
Those who still remember, or even victimized, should be able to elaborate the details.

Bottom line is, buy from an ID company that has the most track record, since they're most likely will be around if you ever need anything in thr future.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
This.

It's one thing if a company designs and makes excellent products, but no matter what, they'd miss one or two.
This is where the word service is, in Customer Service. It's how the company would make up for their mistakes.

I've only heard positive feedbacks from SVS customers.

Hsu, on the other hand, I've heard mixed stories. You should do more research to find out if this is true or not. Their own forum is a good place to start.

If I ever need another house shaker, I'd go with SVS.
I bought A5-350 (excellent sub for thr buck, when working) from eD, and although I had to pay to get it repaired once, the fact that they're no longer around bugs me more than product being unreliable.
On top of that, they lied and cheated their customers towards the end of their operation days. Even when as far as editing the forum posts.

Thing is, I bought it from eD, even after learning about thr whole AV123 fiasco.
Those who still remember, or even victimized, should be able to elaborate the details.

Bottom line is, buy from an ID company that has the most track record, since they're most likely will be around if you ever need anything in thr future.
I went with Rythmik because they have excellent customer service and will be around for a very long time with solid products.

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
This is what I am considering. What ever I choose I will do duals. I am leaning towards the pb13 ultras but I will look into Rythmik as well. I also booked marked Seaton Sound as well. But for the price of $3,600 for two pb13's can I really do any better near that price?
$3600 is probably close to the price of a seaton submersive hp master/slave combo :)

S

Saverio

Audiophyte
SVS is easily beaten in the $500 price range. Their $500 offerings are a bit small and underpowered IMHO.
Very easy to say, but do you have any evidence to back up that claim?

Specific makes and models would be nice. (I won't hold my breath)

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord

No this poster doesn't because he's simply trolling. I could build a better sub for 500 dollars, but then again I'd still have to do the labor which is the hardest part.

I

Irishman

Audioholic
I ask that question because it's what I read almost everywhere. Everyone can't be a shill for the company. Is an SVS sub really that good? Before I plunk down $500 for the PB-1000, is it hype?

I can't bear another thread that says, "Just save a little more....and get the SVS....just save a little more."

I want it for movies, down to 20Hz. Is HSU just as good? Thanks.
Both SVS and Hsu are on a par with each other when you're looking at value. They're at the top of the subwoofer food chain. Can't go wrong with either one.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member

The Premiere Acoustics PA-150 is a higher performer in some respects. If you are into stuff that doesn't dip below 50 Hz too much, like older music recordings and many music genres, it has far more headroom at 50 Hz and above. Hell, at 60 Hz and above it beats the PB13 Ultra. If you have a large room and don't need extension, the PA-150 would be a much better choice, and it can be had for less than $500 if you make an offer.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis