Is the SVS the greatest subwoofer on Earth?

M

Mancave

Audioholic Intern
I ask that question because it's what I read almost everywhere. Everyone can't be a shill for the company. Is an SVS sub really that good? Before I plunk down $500 for the PB-1000, is it hype?

I can't bear another thread that says, "Just save a little more....and get the SVS....just save a little more."

I want it for movies, down to 20Hz. Is HSU just as good? Thanks.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
I would say one of the best. I have the PB1000 in a medium size and it's more than enough. This thing kick major butt. One of the best customer service too. No hype. It's all true what you hear and read.

B

Bear123

Junior Audioholic
I think SVS is one of the top companies to buy a sub from as well. I got a PB12-NSD about a week ago and am very happy with it. HSU is also a great subwoofer company. Research them both and pick the one you like the best.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Both Hsu and SVS are good for the money. However if you can spend more they both get topped pretty easily. They aren't the greatest subs, just some of the best affordable subs.

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
At $500, SVS is your best bet no doubt. Under $2k, both SVS and HSU make some of the best subs. Rythmik is another. For $100 more, I would go with the Rythmik LV12R over the PB-1000.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
For $90 bucks more, I chose a Rythmik LV-12R over the PB-1000 because according to its reviews by JMAN over at Home Theater Shack, it dug deeper and had more output than PB-1000. Add the feature of servo control and its one killer sub.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
I think I would go with the VTF1 for a little less, but I never had them next to each other... Obviously in your first post you didn't want to hear save more money, lol but another $100 gets you "a lot" more, from there you need a few hundred to get "a lot " more... I think in a budget HT system if I had a $500 budget I would lean towards two cheaper subs like the Amazon.com: JBL ES250PBK High-Performance 12-Inch Powered Subwoofer: Electronics for $400 or 2 psw505's when they are on sale... but either way, dual jbl's, vtf1, stf2, pb1000, ect for under $500 you get what you get, and for 100-150 more the vtf2, lv12, and pb12 get you a different world..

DIY is the best value on earth for low cost subs, and diy as in easy screw and wire stuff...

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
I ask that question because it's what I read almost everywhere. Everyone can't be a shill for the company. Is an SVS sub really that good? Before I plunk down $500 for the PB-1000, is it hype?

I can't bear another thread that says, "Just save a little more....and get the SVS....just save a little more."

I want it for movies, down to 20Hz. Is HSU just as good? Thanks.
SVS does not make the greatest subwoofers on earth. Probably some crazy expensive subwoofer that costs more than some cars would be the greatest. However, SVS makes great subwoofers, all of which are a good value. The company is solid and reliable, with good customer service and good warranties. You cannot go wrong with SVS. And at your price of $500, SVS probably cannot be beat.

Hsu is also a good company, with excellent subwoofers for the money. You probably can't go wrong with one of them either. I personally would go with SVS, but Hsu is an excellent choice.

P

pcsolutionz

Audioholic Intern
I got Dual PB-1000'S last week and although they are sweet, they're going back for a PB-2000. One now and possibly another if necessary. Ordering tonight for pre - order to ship about the 20th

B

Bear123

Junior Audioholic
I saw someone mention a pre-order discount. Any truth to that? I hate to even repeat it as it says nothing of the sort on their web site.

B

Basshead81

Audioholic
I would say SVS offers a great product...best on the planet might be a stretch.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
I saw someone mention a pre-order discount. Any truth to that? I hate to even repeat it as it says nothing of the sort on their web site.
If it was said on AH its the truth :D lol, give them a call can't hurt to ask...

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
Add the feature of servo control and its one killer sub.
To be honest, I'm not entirely sold on the idea of servo even though I really like Rythmik's subs. SVS subs generally measure flatter than Rythmik subs without using servo.

B

Blake NoLast

Audiophyte
At $500, SVS is your best bet no doubt. Under $2k, both SVS and HSU make some of the best subs. Rythmik is another. For $100 more, I would go with the Rythmik LV12R over the PB-1000.
SVS is easily beaten in the $500 price range. Their $500 offerings are a bit small and underpowered IMHO.

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
SVS is easily beaten in the $500 price range. Their $500 offerings are a bit small and underpowered IMHO.
Perhaps by going DIY or used, but good luck finding a better product with regards to build quality, reliability, output, and linearity at $499 shipped. 300 watts isn't a ton of power by any means, but the SVS driver makes use of every watt. The PB-1000 is only 3db behind the PB12-NSD which has been measured using CEA-2010 standards and is certainly not a slouch. Having heard the PB-1000, I'd hardly call it underpowered given its price unless you want boomy, sloppy bass. The only other non-DIY subs in the $500-$600 price range even worth a look are the Rythmik LV12R and HSU VTF-2 MK4 IMO.

Last edited:
B

Basshead81

Audioholic
To be honest, I'm not entirely sold on the idea of servo even though I really like Rythmik's subs. SVS subs generally measure flatter than Rythmik subs without using servo.
I do not think the purpose of servo is to maintain a flat response...it is more for feed back to help keep the driver under control at high output. Part of the reason why rythmik subs have so much output for no more power then the amp provides.

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
I do not think the purpose of servo is to maintain a flat response...it is more for feed back to help keep the driver under control at high output. Part of the reason why rythmik subs have so much output for no more power then the amp provides.
In this regard, it certainly is successful as Rythmik subs do put out loads of clean output.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis