Is Near-field Listening Understated?

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
We are on the same page. However, not all of our audioholic brethren are even in the same library, let alone the same page. Here is a sampling from a thread I stopped watching because it just got plain weird.

Again, its a quote, I can't make this stuff up. For this, I don't even have the imagination.
Its only one paragraph out of 6 paragraphs this length in the response. At least he uses paragraphs.

"Even if you stick with 7.1, 5.1, or 3.1, Atmos is superior, because instead of mixing audio into discrete channels, producers can place them in space, and the decoder can figure out how to best represent that space on the available sound channels. Without Atmos or dts x, a producer would be required to mix a ridiculous amount of audio channels. Atmos theaters are either going or already using much more than a 7.1.4 configuration. Just from photos I've seen one theater with 16 different speakers, all discrete. Try fitting a 22+ channel soundtrack onto a Blu ray"

The poster goes on to recommend that "40 channels" is the appropriate number of channels for HT.

Obviously we are not qualified to consume the same thermally unstable and inconsistent air as folk who are able to conceive and implement 40 channel sound systems.

How did the listening go last evening? I assume your visitor brought CD's to consume. Any good selections? I have some more recommendations if you're ready
I agree, but that's from not understanding what everyone else is after.

I recall a time when Dolby started becoming fashionable. And then again when digital became so as well. But, they would then take analog recordings, apply the correct science, take the "noise" out and suddenly our analog stuff wasn't sounding so hot. Half of why I clung to vinyl as long as I did, dust pops and all. Great for recording to cassette and the digital reproductions certainly helped there, but hurt in other places. I still have some digital/anolog combinations on CD that I got years ago, that I have to raise and lower the volume on a song. It's seemingly muted, yet the vinyl stays constant, noise be damned.

I made a statement when I joined here, to the effect that I did not want to be spoiled by the numbers. It happened to me when learning to play piano and is what made me quit. I started becoming aware of the math involved with music and things that can be measured. Errors were becoming increasingly obvious to me, especially with the timing. I saw it happen to others who had taken up playing instruments as well. Now they are almost perfect, and they will practice until it is so otherwise, yet most everyone avoids them and their music because it is not ultimately pleasant. They are a nuisance with it, really. Now they sit on youtube and forums pointing out errors and telling who is better. "Oh and, btw, I'm a guitar (whatever) player too" ends up being the qualifier. "You should go listen to my channel." Basically so everyone can see what they know is right.

I'm willing to concede to the proven science and the theoretical. I just don't want to be disqualified for what is obviously a more raw, yet valid approach. By "obviously" meaning, just this thread alone sort of proves that others feel the same way. Perhaps even some that don't want to admit it. That there is an organic side to audiophilia that really doesn't need to be validated in a box.

I am betting, a group of us could get together, and pretty much unanimously agree on what sounds good, or better by our own hand, even with multiple people physically adjusting the values and without onboard, corrective implementation, like we used to do. At least with main speakers, nearfield fashion.

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
I am betting, a group of us could get together, and pretty much unanimously agree on what sounds good, or better by our own hand, even with multiple people physically adjusting the values and without onboard, corrective implementation, like we used to do. At least with main speakers, nearfield fashion.
MrBoat:
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing enough not to put one in a fruit salad.

You have accumulated enough knowledge to be able to synthesize it in to wisdom. Wisdom is often discounted by the new and rising generation because they also lack perspective. A little perspective, a little wisdom, and pretty soon you can figure stuff out on your own and be quite happy with the result.

I am particularly vulnerable to over studying and overdoing research on a subject I enjoy. I'm also keenly aware of this flaw.. When I know its happening, I have coping mechanisms to help me from tying myself up in knots. My speaker research for my room came dangerously close to ruining my enjoyment. I was getting all wrapped around the axle with the numbers and the possibilities and the tradeoffs......etc.etc.

I had to unwind that whole process a bit. I want to maintain my enjoyment level. I want to get some new speakers AND enjoy the process and result. Its guys like you MrBoat, that help me keep my feet firmly on the ground. Swerd, LovintheHD, Pogre and others also make this an enjoyable and grounded place to yak about a hobby. (if I didn't mention your handle, but you aren't an idiot, I like your posts too).

Keep up the good work. Both feet on the ground. Nose in to the wind.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
So far, I am discovering that this "semi" nearfield arrangement is pretty potent. Just far enough back to really notice (or not, depending on one's perspective on that matter) that 'phantom center' I keep reading about.

I'm telling you, I'm going to buy a big fat recliner, with a control console on the side of it and park it right in that spot, reel the sub up right up under the footrest and probably die there someday.

djreef

djreef

Audioholic Chief
So far, I am discovering that this "semi" nearfield arrangement is pretty potent. Just far enough back to really notice (or not, depending on one's perspective on that matter) that 'phantom center' I keep reading about.

I'm telling you, I'm going to buy a big fat recliner, with a control console on the side of it and park it right in that spot, reel the sub up right up under the footrest and probably die there someday.
You've pretty much described my setup "in spades". In fact, I'm shopping for a new recliner right now. I'm thinking about theater seating this go around. I like the idea oof having a tray table and cup holders built right onto the seat. Something like this:

http://www.theaterseat.com/element-home-theater-seating/37/849

DJ

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
You've pretty much described my setup "in spades". In fact, I'm shopping for a new recliner right now. I'm thinking about theater seating this go around. I like the idea oof having a tray table and cup holders built right onto the seat. Something like this:

http://www.theaterseat.com/element-home-theater-seating/37/849

DJ
Every time I managed a recliner, seems I always had a girlfriend that had to be "in" it with me, or without me. I'm talking total takeover. Even when I had two of the same exact chairs, somehow mine was better. No leather here for me in Florida. Too sticky and slippery. Something soft, breathable and overstuffed, in true redneck fashion. :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis