Is it worth diving into SACD and DVD-A?

supervij

supervij

Audioholic General
Here's a simple solution to those who want their SACD/DVD-A surround channels to be placed more accurately: use bookshelf speakers that aren't bolted to the wall.

My surrounds are bookshelf speakers that are literally sitting on bookshelves, not fastened or bolted or whatever. When I feel like listening to a DVD-A or SACD, I pull 'em down and place them on stands that are a bit further back (roughly 120 degrees) and at ear level. And I move 'em back when I'm finished. Badda-boom, badda-bing, done.

cheers,
supervij

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Here's a simple solution to those who want their SACD/DVD-A surround channels to be placed more accurately: use bookshelf speakers that aren't bolted to the wall.

My surrounds are bookshelf speakers that are literally sitting on bookshelves, not fastened or bolted or whatever. When I feel like listening to a DVD-A or SACD, I pull 'em down and place them on stands that are a bit further back (roughly 120 degrees) and at ear level. And I move 'em back when I'm finished. Badda-boom, badda-bing, done.

cheers,
supervij
Some of us like nice neat finished setups. Anyway if you want the ultimate in surround you need something more potent than a movable bookshelf speaker.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I think I am doing quite well with my bookshelf speakers and I keep them on the stands all the time :)

jliedeka

jliedeka

Audioholic General
Maybe someone needs to rig up some robotic arms that can move the surrounds from HT to multichannel music positions. Hmmm, then I'd have to adjust my speaker distances in the receiver, too. It's a thought.

Jim

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Or get two sets of surrounds and just swap cables or use a switch box? :D

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I think I am doing quite well with my bookshelf speakers and I keep them on the stands all the time :)
Mine are wall mounted and I'm diggin' that. Now that I have read two of Sean Olives posts but only understood half of the second one I want a phono pre-amp so that I can use my TT with the living room system and play with Logic7 and Dolby PLIIx Music. :eek:

Nope ... nothing is sacred. :p

C

chadburger

Banned
Have you listened to The Flaming Lips DVD-A albums? Specifically The Soft Bulletin and Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots (At War with the Mystics is a let down)? The DSoTM surround mix? I would hardly say they use "goofy" effects. It's not like the mix engineers just move sounds around the room all willy-nilly with no rhyme or reason.

What is wrong with the chopped up acoustic guitar on the intro to the track "Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots Pt. 1"? When the vocals move from the rear to the front at a critical juncture on "Suddenly Everything Has Changed"? The sound of the cash registers coming from different places on "Money"? All these uses of the surround channels enhance the mix as far as I'm concerned.

I just have a hard time hearing someone totally dismiss a mix because the guitar doesn't stay in the Right Stereo channel the entire song. If all the sound is going to be static, what's the point? You can get the same "sense of space" from redbook.

I agree with you, that yes, it would be annoying if the mix just moves the instruments all around the room for no particular reason. For the most part though, there are very few artist that actually go through all the trouble it takes to mix a multichannel album and I have yet to hear a surround album that paned the instruments around so much that it was annoying. Could you recommend some to me?
I have not heard Flaming Lips but regardless it comes down to the way we see things, I look at it from a live performace point of view so I never have heard a guitar pan from front to rear at a show. I enjoy the full sense of space that multi channel can provide but dont wish for much more. There isnt anything wrong with the way a disc is done but some will want things one way like you and others more the way I enjoy it.
I wish they would take advantage of Bluray in time and allow not only different mix potentials but also UNCOMPRESSED versions along with the loudness younger folks seem to not mind. The space on this format could allow some great sonics and variations and that would be good for everyone.

supervij

supervij

Audioholic General
Some of us like nice neat finished setups. Anyway if you want the ultimate in surround you need something more potent than a movable bookshelf speaker.
My surrounds are on a shelf with a wire going from them around the room to the front. There's just enough extra length of wire so that when I want to do m/c music, I pull out the speaker, and rest it a couple feet away in an appropriate spot. There's nothing messy about it, and even if there was, it's only there during the music. After the music, I put the speaker back, put the speaker stand away, and no one ever sees the extra length of speaker wire. No messiness, honest.

Not everyone has the proper listening environment for -- nor can afford the price tag of -- the ultimate in surround. We use what we have and what we can afford. It may not be good enough for some, but my gear sounds pretty darn shiny to me. That's pretty much all I care about.

cheers,
supervij

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I have not heard Flaming Lips but regardless it comes down to the way we see things, I look at it from a live performace point of view so I never have heard a guitar pan from front to rear at a show. I enjoy the full sense of space that multi channel can provide but dont wish for much more. There isnt anything wrong with the way a disc is done but some will want things one way like you and others more the way I enjoy it.
I wish they would take advantage of Bluray in time and allow not only different mix potentials but also UNCOMPRESSED versions along with the loudness younger folks seem to not mind. The space on this format could allow some great sonics and variations and that would be good for everyone.

You raise an interesting point. If teh suuround mix throws you into the middle of the music, its not a realistic representation of what aperosn would hear standing in front of the stage. That would seem very artificial to me. However, it does give one a different perspective on it. Maybe on BluRay, they could give you different menu options relating to where the listener maybe located with respect to the band; i.e standing in front of the band, being in the middle of the band...etc

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
You raise an interesting point. If teh suuround mix throws you into the middle of the music, its not a realistic representation of what aperosn would hear standing in front of the stage. That would seem very artificial to me. However, it does give one a different perspective on it. Maybe on BluRay, they could give you different menu options relating to where the listener maybe located with respect to the band; i.e standing in front of the band, being in the middle of the band...etc
I think it's more of an effort to give the impression of the reflected sound one might hear at a live concert venue, rather than to make you feel like you're on stage with the musicians.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Dude ... enough already ... get a glove ... get in the game. :)

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
We're all not rich like you!! :p :D
It doesn't cost a lot to get started in the SACD/DVD-A realm in terms of gear. A collection of discs may cost more than your first player unless you go big :eek:

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
It doesn't cost a lot to get started in the SACD/DVD-A realm in terms of gear. A collection of discs may cost more than your first player unless you go big :eek:
you're forgetting what country I live in. :D

tesseract

tesseract

Audioholic
Lots of focus on multi channel hi rez. I haven't the experience with that, but I sure do enjoy 2 channel SACD and DVD-A. As I make improvements in my system and my room, I appreciate them even more.

Yes, it is worth diving into.

tesseract

tesseract

Audioholic
Maybe someone needs to rig up some robotic arms that can move the surrounds from HT to multichannel music positions. Hmmm, then I'd have to adjust my speaker distances in the receiver, too. It's a thought.

Jim
Hmmmm... we do have a few Fanucs and a Motoman sitting idle at work. They can articulate in 6 axis, so they won't be an inexpensive solution. :)

davidtwotrees

davidtwotrees

Audioholic General
I tried to sell my collection of hi rez music on here and got nothing but a couple of low balls and an offer to split up the collection!

davidtwotrees

davidtwotrees

Audioholic General
Heck, I was offering to throw in my entry level Pioneer player and no one took it.

Cristofori

Cristofori

Audioholic
I tried to sell my collection of hi rez music on here and got nothing but a couple of low balls and an offer to split up the collection!
I've noticed that people on these types of forums love to talk about music/equipment, but few like to buy when the opportunities arise.

Sell them on Audiogon. You will get top dollar provided your not a total idiot and your goods are in excellent condition.

C

chadburger

Banned
I've noticed that people on these types of forums love to talk about music/equipment, but few like to buy when the opportunities arise.

Sell them on Audiogon. You will get top dollar provided your not a total idiot and your goods are in excellent condition.
AMEN! Thats how I see it too

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis