AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
if this is a brand new room why not go acoustically transparent screen and use an identical matching center speaker
Even better. 3 Phil2 across the front would be wickedly sick, sick, sick.:eek::D

T

templemaners

Senior Audioholic
MTM surrounds make no sense to me. Stick to TM or coaxial surrounds IMO.
Why don't MTM surrounds make sense? :confused: Is that because of lobing issues? I guess I don't get why vertical MTM's are ok up front (to some), but wouldn't be for surrounds.

It's probably a driver alignment/setup that I'm not familiar with the pros and cons, so I apologize in advance for sidetracking the conversation on your setup Fowl. :eek:

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
Why don't MTM surrounds make sense?
Well they beam a lot of the midrange. You'd have to aim them at the listening position to get the correct response. Since it's mostly ambience information, the benefits of the MTM seem more like drawbacks for a surround. In my case, my rear surrounds are ceiling mounted and tilted down about 40 degrees, and my side surrounds are wall-mounted near the ceiling, again tilted down. If they beamed like surrounds I'd have to tilt them down even more to make sure the listening position is in the narrow coverage area of the MTM.

I'm sure MTMs are fine if they're stand mounted at ear level, just like they would be as front speakers, but how often is that the case?

Coaxials give a very wide dispersion, with a generally 100 degree or so coverage angle with very even power response. Mounted near a ceiling like my case, they also ensure the similarity of ceiling reflections to direct sound.

D

derrickdj1

Audioholic Intern
9.2 vs 7.1

I have a 9.1 setup with a single 15 in sub and really like it. Only 7 speakers play at any one time, but with blue ray movie having Front Height and surround back speakers make the system very dynamic depending on the format of the movie. Having helicopters moving in the front height channel or things coming from behind you with the surround back is a nice effect. I can't imagine going back to 7.1. Music is also great in extend stereo, DDPLIIz, DDPLIIx, or just 2 channel stereo. Using front height speaker is like adding an addition to your mains. I thought about a second sub, but have more than enough bass already. Just my .02 on the topic.

zhimbo

zhimbo

Audioholic General
I thought about a second sub, but have more than enough bass already.
...but also remember the primary reason for a second sub is typically not just to add more bass, but to help with sound quality by smoothing out the bass response, especially for more than one seating position.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
My family room is 20' x 18' x 10' ceiling. I think 5.1 is good.

Quality over quantity.
yes

Is 9.2 / 11.2 is it worth it, well it depends upon your room, how you set up your system, your wallet and your ears. Using a whole bunch of speakers in a room with poor acoustics, well more doesn't mean better.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
yes

Is 9.2 / 11.2 is it worth it, well it depends upon your room, how you set up your system, your wallet and your ears. Using a whole bunch of speakers in a room with poor acoustics, well more doesn't mean better.
Although I wouldn't mind too terribly having eleven Revel Salon2, KEF 207/2, or Philharmonic 3 in my room.:eek::D

You wouldn't have to twist my arms or anything. :D

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
Although I wouldn't mind too terribly having eleven Revel Salon2, KEF 207/2, or Philharmonic 3 in my room.

You wouldn't have to twist my arms or anything
Agree, although I might have to close in a wall here and there and extend the rear wall another 5 feet, not to mention go back to work to pay for the extra speakers. Nah, I think I will stick with 5.1 for now.

F

Fowl

Audioholic
Even better. 3 Phil2 across the front would be wickedly sick, sick, sick.:eek::D
I had actually thought about that, but would not want to stretch the budget too much, and there is something about the Ascend that is just appealing to me. Don't know what is it, or how to explain it, but it just do.

hopefully I am satisfied.:D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Agree, although I might have to close in a wall here and there and extend the rear wall another 5 feet, not to mention go back to work to pay for the extra speakers. Nah, I think I will stick with 5.1 for now.
I truly believe that 5.1 is all I will ever need even if my room were 25' x 30' x 15'.

Five Salon & four Rythmik will be peachy.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis