F

Fowl

Audioholic
Hi Guys,

As I stated ina previous post, I am selling my current home and building another. I based on my updated drawing on the TV room it is to be 20x17x10.

I will be changing my receiver and will try one f the newer ones from Yamaha. My question is, is it truly worth it to go 9.2 or is 7.2 just as good?

I have been given a budget of 15K to do over my HT room and so I have to make a decision. This allotment is for Equipment, speakers and Acoustic panels.

So not need to worry about in wall wiring or anything else.

Let me know your thoughts.

T

templemaners

Senior Audioholic
Go 7.1 with four subwoofers.
^^^ This. I'd rather have more subs than more than 7 speakers. That being said, you might want to see if you can audition a 9 channel system to see if you like it.

Were you thinking of going with height or width with the extra 2 channels?

F

Fowl

Audioholic
WOW, I can imagine how four SVS ultras would sound:eek:. I had already decided on two untras, four would really kill my budget.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
20x17x10 probably won't need four subs, but I am sure it would be fun. Two would likely be more than enough, and in a room that size, possibly even just one Ultra.

F

Fowl

Audioholic
^^^ This. I'd rather have more subs than more than 7 speakers. That being said, you might want to see if you can audition a 9 channel system to see if you like it.

Were you thinking of going with height or width with the extra 2 channels?
I was going with the two additional ones to the front -height. I am not sure that my room and HOUSE:D could manage four SVS ultras.

T

templemaners

Senior Audioholic
WOW, I can imagine how four SVS ultras would sound:eek:. I had already decided on two untras, four would really kill my budget.
You could do 4 PB12-Plus' for a little less than it would cost for 3 Ultras. :)
Or you could get 2 Submersive HP's in Black Maple right now for $2295/ea (flat $100 shipping right now & no extra for the finish) :D :D :D

But I think we're getting off track...

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
The Ultra is rated by AH to be sufficient for 5000 cubic feet. Two is already overkill, four would be a huge waste. If you just have to have four, I'd recommend 2x SVS Legato.

1x Legato looks like this :D,

96cobra10101

96cobra10101

Senior Audioholic
The Ultra is rated by AH to be sufficient for 5000 cubic feet. Two is already overkill, four would be a huge waste. If you just have to have four, I'd recommend 2x SVS Legato.

1x Legato looks like this :D,
I wouldn't do the Legato sort of a waste (2 subs sharing 800 watts @ $2300). Do the PC12-Plus instead (2 subs w/ 800 watts each @ $2600). Much better deal IMO.

F

FirstReflection

AV Rant Co-Host
Not sure where these comments about four subs being a "waste" are coming from. It all depends on what you're after and how the subs would be placed. Typically, four subs spread around the room (one at the midpoint of each wall or one in each corner or two at the front two at the back) those sorts of spread out placements are all about getting smoother, more even, more linear bass response at multiple seats. You gain almost nothing in terms of output with such a setup. It's almost purely about getting linear response at all of your seats rather than just one.

Two subs, optimally placed (which is most often at the midpoint of the front an back walls or alternately, one sub at the midpoint of each side wall) can actually get you more output than four subs! It is totally counterintuitive, but when you go from two subs to four subs, the bass can actually get quieter! And that's because the number of bass wave interactions increases exponentially. All of those interactions are what make the bass more linear and even throughout the room, but they also lower the peaks so that four subs have roughly the same output as the non-resonant peaks of just one sub. It's just that ALL frequencies are now at that level with four subs, rather than just a few.

Two subs gets you some smoothing and also boosts the output over a lone sub. It's a good compromise in a lot of cases because you get more output, some smoothing and obviously the price can be lower or you can get two higher quality subs vs four lower quality ones. It's also often easier to place two subs.

But four is not a waste. It's the best way to get even response at every seat. No other method equals it that way. If all you want is louder output, then yes, four subs is a "waste" unless you co-locate them (ie. stack them). But no other method can deliver the same linearity across multiple seats.

Provided you can place two subs so that you don't have any huge dips, I think that's often the most reasonable way to go. Two subs optimally placed with a little EQ can deliver excellent results. I'd give a thumbs up to twin Ultras or twin Rythmik FV15HP for sure! Keeping four subs under $4000 is tough, so I've got no problem at all with the twin SVS Ultra subs as planned ;)

As for the 9 speaker setups, I personally don't think they're worth it AT ALL. If you set up your surround speakers properly (meaning three feet above seated height and NOT at ear level like so many people do), you already get height info from your surrounds. And again, with proper placement of the fronts an surrounds, the "wide" speakers add nothing. It's all nonsense to try and add another checklist item to receivers is all. There are no discrete 9 or 11 channel recordings for the home. So it's all just matrix algorithms and guess work and zero benefit. Stick to 7 speakers. And even that's highly debatable unless you have AT LEAST a 4 foot gap between the back of your seats and the back wall, and more like a good 7 feet or more to really be of any value to the sound.

timoteo

timoteo

Audioholic General
Dual PB-13Ultras is a big waste of money in that room. I would definately get Dual Rythmik FV-15HPs. You'd get equal if not better performance & save a few hundred in the process. Depending on the finish & color of the driver the price ranges from $1199-$1449ea. You could save yourself some serious cash without ANY sacrifice. The larger driver doesnt have to work as hard too. They even offer piano black in those numbers mentioned. Use the saved money on a measuring/EQ system!!

I know this is again off topic but just had to mention it!!

96cobra10101

96cobra10101

Senior Audioholic
My Denon is 11.2 capable so I am doing that setup. With maybe a couple more subs. Anyways, if 9.2 is what you want, try it out, or atleast what your pockets allow you too. Yes sure, you can def waste some money, but who cares. Not like your buying $1000 a foot cables, or cd enhancers, and hopefully not paying retail for Monster brand cables. Worse case scenario you set your receiver back to 7.2 mode and put some new speakers in your den.

F

Fowl

Audioholic
Thanks for all the comments guys. My HT room was actually smaller,12x15x10 initially, but some suggestions made to me by other board members made me ask my wife - who is in the construction field- to make it a bit larger. Thus the new size.

When I made the room larger I moved from the PB12's to the ultras as this would not break my budget. I was going to get the Aperion Verus Grand Towers, but also made a change and will try out the new Ascend Sierra Towers along with the matching Center channel.

I don't think I will ever get this chance in my lifetime again to build a new home and have 15k to spend on HT so I want to do it right. Thus my question if 9.2 is worth it.

From the answers, it would appear not. So here is a list of the things I will get for the HT room.

Marantz SR6006 or Yamaha RXA 1010
GIK Acoustic Panels
Ascend Sierra Towers and Center
Ascend CMT 340 for and L&R Rear
HTM 200 for L&R Surround
Samsung PN64D8000
2 SVS Ultras 2
Oppo BDP-93 ( used for cd player as well)
Emotiva XPA3

Any suggestions that you would like to make will be well appreciated as it never hurts to make a better choice.:D

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
Thanks for all the comments guys. My HT room was actually smaller,12x15x10 initially, but some suggestions made to me by other board members made me ask my wife - who is in the construction field- to make it a bit larger. Thus the new size.

When I made the room larger I moved from the PB12's to the ultras as this would not break my budget. I was going to get the Aperion Verus Grand Towers, but also made a change and will try out the new Ascend Sierra Towers along with the matching Center channel.

I don't think I will ever get this chance in my lifetime again to build a new home and have 15k to spend on HT so I want to do it right. Thus my question if 9.2 is worth it.

From the answers, it would appear not. So here is a list of the things I will get for the HT room.

GIK Acoustic Panels
HTM 200 for L&R Surround
Samsung PN64D8000
2 SVS Ultras 2
Emotiva XPA3

Any suggestions that you would like to make will be well appreciated as it never hurts to make a better choice.:D
I was going to say, get room treatments and two kick assa subs. Looks like you're covered. Should turn out to be a fantastic home theater.

Why not get the HTM-200 for Sides also? Remember to mount this speaker horizontally to get more even dispersion in the room.

Last edited:
T

templemaners

Senior Audioholic

GIK Acoustic Panels
HTM 200 for L&R Surround
Samsung PN64D8000
2 SVS Ultras 2
Emotiva XPA3

I'm not sure why you are getting HTM-200's for L/R surrounds when the CBM-170 SE's are the same price right now. Is it a placement issue due to the rear port (that was an issue when I was shopping for surrounds)? I think I'd rather have CMT-340's on the surrounds and 170SE's in the back, or maybe just even 170SE's for the 4 surround/back channels

You also might want to look into media servers if you listen to a lot of music in there.

F

Fowl

Audioholic
I'm not sure why you are getting HTM-200's for L/R surrounds when the CBM-170 SE's are the same price right now. Is it a placement issue due to the rear port (that was an issue when I was shopping for surrounds)? I think I'd rather have CMT-340's on the surrounds and 170SE's in the back, or maybe just even 170SE's for the 4 surround/back channels

You also might want to look into media servers if you listen to a lot of music in there.
Thanks, I will keep that in mind when I email Dave at Ascend.

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
MTM surrounds make no sense to me. Stick to TM or coaxial surrounds IMO.

I would get some Philharmonic 2 speakers and some Philharmonitor 1 surrounds to go with them

I would only get large QRD diffusion panels and bass traps. No first reflection absorption. That will just narrow the soundstage.

I would still get four subwoofers for most even bass response. the FV15 non HP arent a bad idea. Four of them will match the output of two svs subs, outdo the extension but with much better in room response.

Also put some serious thought into the room design if possible. Tall, diffuse ceilings if possible, hard flooring, flexible wall construction.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
My family room is 20' x 18' x 10' ceiling. I think 5.1 is good.

Quality over quantity. :D

I also think 2 Philharmonic 2 front L/R, plus 3 Philharmonitor bookshelf speakers for C/SL/SR plus 2 - 4 subs (like the $500 Rythmik FV12 sub) would be fantastic.

You're looking at $2K + $1.2K for 5 speakers + $1K for 2 subs or $2K for 4 subs.

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
if this is a brand new room why not go acoustically transparent screen and use an identical matching center speaker

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis