is 2Hz/4Hz worth additional $600/$900???

C

copmagnet82

Junior Audioholic
If I were buying a sub it would be the SVS PB 13 Ultra.
that's a massive and pretty impressive sub :cool: ...the only thing is, if I actually bought something of that size, I'd get killed with it by my wife

...that is, if she actually managed to lift an object that's 40lbs heavier than she is :D

C

copmagnet82

Junior Audioholic
gotcha, lol, I figured, but wasn't sure what OP was standing for, lol

J

JonnyFive23517

Audioholic
that's a massive and pretty impressive sub :cool: ...the only thing is, if I actually bought something of that size, I'd get killed with it by my wife

...that is, if she actually managed to lift an object that's 40lbs heavier than she is :D
Your wife is tiny! Lol. Get that woman some cheeseburgers ASAP.

B

Basshead81

Audioholic
What's the deal? Keep in mind a pair of subs only gets you +3db in theory you get better sound, but not always and not without proper placement.
Worst case scenario adding a second will only yield +3db at the LP...if both subs are located within a 1/4 wavelength of eachother +6db will be had.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord

You probably should get a sealed sub then. Get the better deal between the SB13 and the ML1500X.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Worst case scenario adding a second will only yield +3db at the LP...if both subs are located within a 1/4 wavelength of eachother +6db will be had.
Below the 1/4 length threshold you do get a greater boost, but above that you don't always get 3db. Of course getting it on the lower end is exactly where it's wanted. The real results I've seen in testing come from the 3rd sub where you really see a greater smoothing effect. Seriously all this sub talk is giving me an itch to build another one.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Below the 1/4 length threshold you do get a greater boost, but above that you don't always get 3db. Of course getting it on the lower end is exactly where it's wanted. The real results I've seen in testing come from the 3rd sub where you really see a greater smoothing effect. Seriously all this sub talk is giving me an itch to build another one.
That's what I'm doing. You should too. My drivers should arrive sometime in mid to late February.

B

Basshead81

Audioholic
Oh yea build another!!! I added a 3rd psa sub not to long ago and it smoothed the response nicely. I also did see a 3-4db bump in headroom but even if I did not gain anything it would be no big deal because I very seldom listen above reference anyway.

C

copmagnet82

Junior Audioholic
After reading all this, do you guys feel it's possible to build a good performing sub that will perform equally to the big name subs? I am pretty handy and it wouldn't be a major challenge to build a box. I'm more concern about picking the right amp and driver. Once all said and done, I could probably build 2 or 3 of them for the price of 1 big name unit :rolleyes: :confused: ...but again, will I get quality bass out of a DIY sub?

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Without question yes, but don't forget that that you still need to add amplifiers to whatever sub you build. Plus the sub needs to either be a fairly tried and true design or carefully modeled in order to get the most out of DIY.

C

copmagnet82

Junior Audioholic
Yeah, that's the thing; I wouldn't really know which amps and drivers are good.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Yeah, that's the thing; I wouldn't really know which amps and drivers are good.
Just start a new thread in the DIY section detailing what your budget is, room size, what you listen to, how loud, how big your room is, and what performance goals you'd like to hit.

S

scramblers283

Audiophyte
I think its always better to divide your budget between 2 or 4 subs rather than spending it all on 1 expensive sub.

C

copmagnet82

Junior Audioholic
While I do feel that it's good to have two subs to keep it balanced, I always put quality over quantity ;) .

...with that being said, my wife just approved a higher budget and is okay with me getting two subs :) ...the only thing is, she wants me to get the piano black finish. So, now I'm sort of back to square one. I am now between getting an SVS SB13-Ultra and ML 1500X in piano black. Price for two ML's $3800.00, price for two SB13's $3000.00. Seems like a no-brainier, right??? ...well, not quite. Here's my new dilemma. SVS is front firing, ML can be either front or down firing. So, my question is: are there any benefits of front vs down firing?

ousooner2

ousooner2

Full Audioholic
No.

Wait.

1. Kid/dog/whatever can't poke the cone if it's down-firing.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
If it were me, I would go for some gloss black Rythmik E15s over either, but between the SB13 and ML1500, I would probably swing for the SB13 because my guess is it will have lower THD for most of the same output levels. SVS does a beautiful job of keeping that THD low.

C

copmagnet82

Junior Audioholic
SVS has a smaller woofer (13" vs 15") and more powerful amp; would that translate to less THD? I'm assuming a more powerful amp would help with THD, although not all power is created equal.

So, does front or down-firing configuration help or hurt ...or is it pretty much what ousooner2 said?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis