Integra DHC-80.3 and MP4A Apple Lossless?

pbc

pbc

Audioholic
Has anyone tried playing .mp4a files from iTunes off of a DNLA server/drive off the Integra 80.3?

I copied all my songs from iTunes onto a Western Digital My Book Live drive hooked up to my router. The Integra 80.3 just wouldn't play the files. It could see them, and when I tried to play it would just show the name of the song/artist and album art but refused to play it, and kept skipping to the next and next and next song.

The manual says it can play .mp4a files, but I'm not sure if in fact there are different "formats" within mp4a and in fact it won't play the Apple Lossless version.

I guess I could try and convert all the files to FLAC, but a) I'm not sure if there is a program that can do an entire library relatively easily and b) would need to change from iTunes to some thing else that could be read from an older iPod (which I think is too old to be rockboxed).

Unless there was a way to keep the files in Flac, and still easily use iTunes to upload to the iPod?

But was curious first about whether anyone is playing the Apple Lossless files on their 80.3's or equivalents?

Thanks!

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Has anyone tried playing .mp4a files from iTunes off of a DNLA server/drive off the Integra 80.3?

I copied all my songs from iTunes onto a Western Digital My Book Live drive hooked up to my router. The Integra 80.3 just wouldn't play the files. It could see them, and when I tried to play it would just show the name of the song/artist and album art but refused to play it, and kept skipping to the next and next and next song.

The manual says it can play .mp4a files, but I'm not sure if in fact there are different "formats" within mp4a and in fact it won't play the Apple Lossless version.

I guess I could try and convert all the files to FLAC, but a) I'm not sure if there is a program that can do an entire library relatively easily and b) would need to change from iTunes to some thing else that could be read from an older iPod (which I think is too old to be rockboxed).

Unless there was a way to keep the files in Flac, and still easily use iTunes to upload to the iPod?

But was curious first about whether anyone is playing the Apple Lossless files on their 80.3's or equivalents?

Thanks!
Your confusion comes from fact that Mpeg4 is both media container and compression codec, but mp4 (and mp4a) container is not limited to mpeg4 codec, in fact it can contain many different audio/video codecs inside
MPEG-4 Part 14 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The fact 80.3 supports mp4a container doesn't necessarily means it would support much less used Apple Lossless codec (which is next to none-existing outside of Apple world)

So unfortunately you have only two solutions: convert all music from mp4a/alac to flac files and keep 2 copies or convert all to WAV files which I believe naively supported by itunes and 80.3. Ether way size of your music library is going to double.

B

bikemig

Audioholic Chief
I suspect the problem may be with how you are streaming music wirelessly to your av receiver. Try a direct connection (rather than a wireless one) and connect a computer, an iPod, or a hard disc (the AV receiver I believe from the specs supports this, Products) and see what happens with your apple lossless files. Apple lossless is, I think, a good format and iTunes a good interface; I wouldn't give up on it so quickly.

I would do some research and google around. There may be some software solutions to help you out if you wish to stick with iTunes and DNLA.

Last edited:
H

Hobbit

Senior Audioholic
The fact 80.3 supports mp4a container doesn't necessarily means it would support much less used Apple Lossless codec (which is next to none-existing outside of Apple world)
Apple at it's finest.... ConverterLite, which is freeware, worked well converting my fiance's files. I just coppied her files to 320bps mp3. IMO, this is plenty. I left the originals alone.

pbc

pbc

Audioholic
Your confusion comes from fact that Mpeg4 is both media container and compression codec, but mp4 (and mp4a) container is not limited to mpeg4 codec, in fact it can contain many different audio/video codecs inside
MPEG-4 Part 14 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So unfortunately you have only two solutions: convert all music from mp4a/alac to flac files and keep 2 copies or convert all to WAV files which I believe naively supported by itunes and 80.3. Ether way size of your music library is going to double.
This is what I was wondering (i.e., just because the 80.3 says it can play mp4a doesn't mean it can play Apple Lossless mp4a!).

Oh, yea... Software wise I think Foobar could do alac->flac conversion (not otherway around) and dBpoweramp should it both ways

In fact several AH forums members highly recommend dBpoweramp

Or you could just use scripts :)
Some Useless Information: Convert ALAC m4a to FLAC with tags, artwork and lyrics
conversion - Can Apple Lossless audio be converted to FLAC with no loss of fidelity? - Super User
Will have a look at these.

I suspect the problem may be with how you are streaming music wirelessly to your av receiver. Try a direct connection (rather than a wireless one) and connect a computer, an iPod, or a hard disc (the AV receiver I believe from the specs supports this, Products) and see what happens with your apple lossless files. Apple lossless is, I think, a good format and iTunes a good interface; I wouldn't give up on it so quickly.

I would do some research and google around. There may be some software solutions to help you out if you wish to stick with iTunes and DNLA.
What do you mean by "how you are streaming"? I will see if I can upload a few songs to my older iPod in lossless and play it through the 80.3. Right now i upload in 256k (or 320k) to the iPod, can't recall, and that plays fine through the 80.3.

I'm not married to iTunes, but do like the versatility the iPod gives me as I can throw it into my car when needed. Though I'm guessing there are inexpensive media players that are as good that can do the same thing.

Was simply curious to know if anyone has had success with DNLA and Apple Lossless through the 80.3, as it would save me a lot of time/hassle! :)

pbc

pbc

Audioholic
Looks like Foobar may be a good option compared to iTunes from what I'm researching. Light weight, and can sync to iPods. I believe it can also convert ALAC to FLAC.... hmmm...

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis