In search of Turntable

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
besides the image was relevant and at least mildly amusing, i usually poop on most parades
The image was irrelevant to this thread as the OP was looking for advice in acquiring a turntable and not some dim witted attempt at humour putting down his interest. Show some respect for others even if you fundamentally disagree.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Thats a personal choice. I don't see any cons in doing that.

However, that Thorens turntable in the link may have a floating plinth (plinth is the structure that has the motor, platter, and tone arm mounted to it and is resting on springs) hence the wide box around the unit. I maybe wrong on the floating plinth thing so if anyone knows for sure, please chime in
I've got one of those in the basement!
It looks like the platter and the arm are floating, but the motor is not (at least the spindle that drives the belt in not - I believe this spindle is the motor shaft). That kind of makes sense for a belt drive, since one of the features is to have the motor isolated from the arm/platter.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
The image was irrelevant to this thread as the OP was looking for advice in acquiring a turntable and not some dim witted attempt at humour putting down his interest. Show some respect for others even if you fundamentally disagree.
dear 3db, it appears to me that someone did rain on your parade, but it wasn't me. it seems like if you are too sensitive and can't take a light hearted poke at this unique hobby... :)
i didn't called you names, so please try to be more of you suggestion = more respectful

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
I sincerely hope the OP will be satisfied with his selection. I purchased my first turntable to fit a price point. This was just plain stupid. I took home a turntable that was not what I really wanted. Buying less than what you want is an expensive mistake, in that you will not be satisfied and therefore will eventually spend more than needed if you had just saved for the turntable you initially perceived would satisfy. At any rate, I eventually was satisfied with a Sony PS-4750, which I have enjoyed now for about 37 years. My only concern is I can not replace the stylus for my cartridge should it be damaged, since a replacement is no longer available. I paid $300 for my turntable back in 1979 so I suppose this would equate to about a fifteen hundred dollar expense today. I'd be hard pressed to part with that much, nevertheless, considering a turntable could last a lifetime, might be something I'd still consider.

OP, you might want to buy a used luxury turntable off eBay, perhaps like the one I have. You'll get high quality at a fraction of the cost of most any new decent turntable. I looked at eBay today and saw a mint Sony PS-4750 for about $500USD. Just look at the sellers return policy.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis