In search of Turntable

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
So I have been thinking about buying a turntable for quite a while and now I have some spare money to get one. So I would like to get best turntable for 500€ from European market, if I can get good solid unit for under that, great.

I would like to have unit with dust cover if possible. This will be my first turntable and I know next to nothing about them, so something easy to use would be nice. I appreciate good sound quality, reliability and simple looks. Will be connected to my Marantz SR7008 if that matters.

Thank you already.

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Owners manual page 47 shows phono inputs, I believe these are what you mean and are needed?

Looking up those tt's and I have no idea what are differences between them.. Different arms and stuff, but what should I be looking for? What would suit me best if I want most accurate sound with easy use?

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Owners manual page 47 shows phono inputs, I believe these are what you mean and are needed?

Looking up those tt's and I have no idea what are differences between them.. Different arms and stuff, but what should I be looking for? What would suit me best if I want most accurate sound with easy use?
Excellent. Than you're all set to choose the table you like best.

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Excellent. Than you're all set to choose the table you like best.
Well there lies the problem, how do I know what tt would suit me best? For my eyes all of those look good, not? Price varies quite a lot between some units, for sure there is differences between them. But what to look for?

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

So most important part is cartridge? How about tonearm? As those seem to be what vary the most.. How do I know what is good on those and what is not? Or is there something else I should take in consideration?

I'm so helpless with tt's.. It is like a another world.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
For carts, I have a hard time paying much more than $100 or $150.

Luckily, there are 2 carts right at the $100 range or a little less that are "giant killers"

*Shure M97xe
*Ortofon 2M red

These perform well above budget. Many of the Pro-Jects come stock with the 2M Red

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

For carts, I have a hard time paying much more than $100 or $150.

Luckily, there are 2 carts right at the $100 range or a little less that are "giant killers"

*Shure M97xe
*Ortofon 2M red

These perform well above budget. Many of the Pro-Jects come stock with the 2M Red
Cool, thanks for this information!

Should I look for different tonearms, or does it matter at all? And I believe 2m Red comes with good stylus so I dont need to worry about that? And is it true that I should change stylus every couple of years?

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Then there is more questions to come.. Speed.. Is 33 and 45 enough? Or should I look for table that includes 78 as well? If I'm correct 78 is so rare that I shouldn't be concerned, right? Seems to add around 100€ price if the 78 speed is included.

When looking for listed companies it would be easiest for me to get Pro-Ject tt's. Debut Carbon (DC) with 2m Red would cost 400€. This looks pretty good?

And oh how good would 1Xpression Carbon Classic look from Pro-Ject.. Price would go up to 800€ though.. If it was 500€ I would most likely buy one already!

EDIT: Is there any tt's to consider with wood finish in my price range? One of those would look really nice.

Last edited:
3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Unless your into collecting 78s, I would not look for a turntable that offers that seed. Stick with 33 and 45. I'm with slipperybidness on the cartridge. I'm using an Ortofon 2M Red and its great budget cartridge sound better than it should for the money. Tonearms are very crucial and ProJect with their carbon fiber units offer great performance even on their entry level tables.

The frequency of changing the stylus depends on how often you play albums. I haven't changed mine in over 3 years and I play at least one record a week if not more.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Thats a personal choice. I don't see any cons in doing that.

However, that Thorens turntable in the link may have a floating plinth (plinth is the structure that has the motor, platter, and tone arm mounted to it and is resting on springs) hence the wide box around the unit. I maybe wrong on the floating plinth thing so if anyone knows for sure, please chime in

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Thats a personal choice. I don't see any cons in doing that.

However, that Thorens turntable in the link may have a floating plinth (plinth is the structure that has the motor, platter, and tone arm mounted to it and is resting on springs) hence the wide box around the unit. I maybe wrong on the floating plinth thing so if anyone knows for sure, please chime in
Well my only goal is to change the look of table. With wood around and correct finish it would look really nice I think. :) There are some really nice wood finish tables but you double the price that way..

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Well my only goal is to change the look of table. With wood around and correct finish it would look really nice I think. :) There are some really nice wood finish tables but you double the price that way..
The fit and finish on the Pro-Ject Debut (see my avatar) is top notch! It isn't a wood finish, but it does look classy.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I really like this but its garish .. this is from Rega

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

The fit and finish on the Pro-Ject Debut (see my avatar) is top notch! It isn't a wood finish, but it does look classy.
I have seen some live and yes they do look nicely done, but I would like it with wood finish. :) And thats why I plan to do "cover" with wood around the tt.

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Did you see this one?
http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/crosley-finally-putting-out-a-decent-table.96058/

As far as looks, seems to fit the bill. That's about all that I know about it though.
Cant see them selling in europe for that unit tho, and seems to fall a bit behind Pro-Ject if I'm correct? :)

This project how ever looks amazing: http://www.ikeahackers.net/2014/09/ikea-lagan-turntable-plinth.html Don't know if it would be worth it tho? Maybe diy tt? If that is any way cost effective?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis