In-Ceiling Surround Speaker

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
What if let's say that I choose B5 as the surround speaker, can it hang on the ceiling with some brackets or metals, would it be too heavy to hang it on the ceiling like that?
Sure, it can be suspended from the ceiling. But, I haven't seen any brackets for that purpose before, so I don't know if they're available. If you do find or make them, ensure they are mounted to a ceiling joist, just as you would mount them to a wall stud.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
What if let's say that I choose B5 as the surround speaker, can it hang on the ceiling with some brackets or metals, would it be too heavy to hang it on the ceiling like that?
IMO, the toughest part is finding the right bracket that can support the weight. I didn't look up the weight, but I wouldn't be surprised if the extremely popular OmniMount ceiling brackets (which I currently use) weren't strong enough.

Try these, if you are willing to drill right into the speakers. rmk recommended these to me, as he uses them.
http://www.htd.com/speaker-cables-accessories/Wall-Mount-Speaker-Brackets/BR1-Heavy-Duty-Brackets

Just for reference, these were the instructions given to me by PSB for drilling. HOWEVER, they are for the previous generation of Images, namely the B25;
PSB said:
Thank you for your recent request via the PSB Speakers website.

The Crossover is mounted on the Terminal Cup with those speakers. The
only thing we recommend is removing the woofer before drilling, so it
does not get damaged. Also you can then clean out the saw dust from
drilling.

The best place if attaching to the back of the speaker would be just
above the terminal cup.

Best regards,

PSB Speakers

E

echoesian

Audioholic Intern
I think I'll go for bookshelf speaker for my surround for quality and performance purpose. As I know there are 3 types of surround speakers, dipole, bipole and direct radiating, so which one is more suitable for my situation please???

E

echoesian

Audioholic Intern
Today just went to order the Image series speakers but I'm still in dilemma on choosing either in-ceiling or the bookshelve speakers for surround. I saw the B5, it's very heavy I'm also concern on where to locate the speaker bracket that is suitable for B5

P

PearlcorderS701

Banned
To the OP:

Based on looking at your sketch, it seems our rooms are very similar -- almost frighteningly so! I also have in-ceiling surrounds, as they were there when we bought the house (considered an upgrade in our neck of the real estate woods; see my signature). There's no problem with the distance or positioning, as 'Rat said, but you just need to adjust everything in your AVR or processor to compensate...in other words, make sure your distances are correctly set as well as the channel level balance so one surround doesn't sound "hotter" than the other, etc.

EDIT: I see you decided to perhaps go with bookshelves or satellites for the surrounds; if you do go the in-ceiling route, I'd suggest looking at SpeakerCrafts, as are in my ceiling -- I was advised these are pretty premium as far as in-wall/in-ceiling loudspeakers go.

Don't do the behind-couch bookshelves on stands; I went down this route in our last apartment and they were constantly getting knocked into and all other kinds of stuff -- especially if they border an area that's constantly being walked past.

E

echoesian

Audioholic Intern
I wonder the PSB CW60R in-ceilings would be comparable with your SpeakerCraft?? If yes, I will just pull the trigger and choose the in-ceiling instead...

Yeah I agree if we have the bookshelves at the back, if peoples are walking by, the sound will be disturbed then.

P

PearlcorderS701

Banned
I wonder the PSB CW60R in-ceilings would be comparable with your SpeakerCraft?? If yes, I will just pull the trigger and choose the in-ceiling instead...
I'm sure they are, but I am uncertain for sure.

Yeah I agree if we have the bookshelves at the back, if peoples are walking by, the sound will be disturbed then.
It would be worse and beyond the "sound being disturbed" -- the entire speaker can come off the stand if someone hits it with enough force!

I had some kind of double-sided tape my insaller used on my previous system attached to my Polk R15 surrounds on their Sanus stands, so the speakers never physically fell off -- but they were definitely hit by people passing them as it was the area they had to walk past to get to the bathroom and rest of our apartment. Don't do bookshelves on stands behind a sofa...

E

echoesian

Audioholic Intern
I'm still undecided between bookshelf speaker mounted on wall or bipole mounted on wall or in-ceiling speakers...

P

PearlcorderS701

Banned
If you do the speakers mounted on the wall, how do you plan on running the wire?

P

PearlcorderS701

Banned
That's really going to be an eyesore -- do you have any way of covering them up? Are you planning on painting them? Have you considered in-wall wire runs?

E

echoesian

Audioholic Intern
Temporary will cover it with maybe white paint or plastic cover, will eventually run it in-wall maybe end of year together with renovation, any idea aside from running it in-wall?

P

PearlcorderS701

Banned
Temporary will cover it with maybe white paint or plastic cover, will eventually run it in-wall maybe end of year together with renovation, any idea aside from running it in-wall?
Your idea of using the plastic cover or white paint is OK -- try to run them up as far as you can to your ceiling trim, and try and run the rest of the slack along that trim.

E

echoesian

Audioholic Intern
No, the only eyesore is on the wires which are on the same wall as the speakers. After that the wires will penetrate into the plaster ceiling and from there run to the front...

P

PearlcorderS701

Banned
Oh, you mean you are going to run the wire along the ceiling trim?

E

echoesian

Audioholic Intern
No, it is actually above it because I'm using plaster ceiling, so the wires penetrate it on a small hole and running on top of it all the way to the front....

P

PearlcorderS701

Banned
Well, whatever you decide to do, don't let speaker wire just hang from a wall or ceiling -- that's the worst eyesore in this entire hobby...;)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis