In-Ceiling Surround Speaker

E

echoesian

Audioholic Intern
Currently, I'm looking to buy a 5.1 home theater set and I have shortlisted the PSB Image Series because of the budget and also best bang of buck reason. But here is the dilemma, I prefer to have ceiling speakers as the surround but I do not want to sacrifice for the performance. The main reason for ceiling speaker is that I do not want to have wires laying on the floor and also does not want to have speaker stand since there are kids around and my wife does not like as well. Anyone can give some ideas of some good ceiling speakers, how about the PSB CW60R ???

Or should I use the PSB B4 or B5 and mount on the rear top corners of the walls? I also heard that if mount on the rear top corner, it will be more flexible as the viewing location can be moved closer or far to/from the TV. And I also thought that I could use the B4/B5 for stereo in case I need to change/upgrade in the future?

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
From a pure performance perspective, I'd certainly go with the B4/B5 option over in-ceiling. Plus, they should be easier to install and you can also experiment with location. If the B4's or B5's are acceptable to your wife, I'd definitely go that route.

How far is your seating position from the back wall? Is it right against the wall, or is there any space between it and the back wall? I'd avoid putting the speakers right into the corners, if possible.

E

echoesian

Audioholic Intern
From a pure performance perspective, I'd certainly go with the B4/B5 option over in-ceiling. Plus, they should be easier to install and you can also experiment with location. If the B4's or B5's are acceptable to your wife, I'd definitely go that route.

How far is your seating position from the back wall? Is it right against the wall, or is there any space between it and the back wall? I'd avoid putting the speakers right into the corners, if possible.
Yeah that's why my viewing location is actually about 7' apart from my back wall, I cannot afford to mount it on the stand in the middle open spaces there. With such a distance, if I mount the B4/B5 on the top back corners, isn't the sound effects is not optimal because they are too far away? Or is there a way to increase the rear speakers volume on the AVR so that it's even out with the front speakers?

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
Yeah that's why my viewing location is actually about 7' apart from my back wall, I cannot afford to mount it on the stand in the middle open spaces there. With such a distance, if I mount the B4/B5 on the top back corners, isn't the sound effects is not optimal because they are too far away? Or is there a way to increase the rear speakers volume on the AVR so that it's even out with the front speakers?
Can you mount them on the side walls, slightly behind (1 or 2 feet) your viewing position? There are guides on the audioholic website - complete with sketches - for speaker placement. Perhaps you should refer to those for guidance.

A

allargon

Audioholic General
Can you mount them on the side walls, slightly behind (1 or 2 feet) your viewing position? There are guides on the audioholic website - complete with sketches - for speaker placement. Perhaps you should refer to those for guidance.
Exactly...the same in-wall/in-ceiling guide specifically mentions using in-ceilings for the back surrounds in a 7.1 format and using in-walls (even behind the listener) for the 5.1 surrounds.

http://www.audioholics.com/tweaks/do-it-yourself-diy-topics/in-wall-speakers

E

echoesian

Audioholic Intern
No I'm not able to because behind the sofa, it is a open are for walkway, there is also no walls on the side, the only choice is put on the stand but with this way it is not that nice and also block the walkway

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
No I'm not able to because behind the sofa, it is a open are for walkway, there is also no walls on the side, the only choice is put on the stand but with this way it is not that nice and also block the walkway
Well, if you can post a photo or a sketch, it might be easier to offer some advice.

E

echoesian

Audioholic Intern

This is my living hall, there is a two steps stair that is connecting to the dining hall. The distance between the TV and the sofa is 10' and the distance between the sofa and the back wall is 8'.

AVRat

AVRat

Audioholic Ninja
The surrounds in those locations will work just fine. Yes, the receiver has the ability for you to sound balance the setup.

E

echoesian

Audioholic Intern
The surrounds in those locations will work just fine. Yes, the receiver has the ability for you to sound balance the setup.
But the distance between the sofa and the surround speakers is 8 feet! Are you sure the surround sound will be optimal in this setup?

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
But the distance between the sofa and the surround speakers is 8 feet! Are you sure the surround sound will be optimal in this setup?
Setting the distance in your AVR will compensate for that. Plus, mounting to that wall is fine, but I'd move them away from the corners a bit.

E

echoesian

Audioholic Intern
Setting the distance in your AVR will compensate for that. Plus, mounting to that wall is fine, but I'd move them away from the corners a bit.
Sorry, you move the surround speakers to close to each other?? What is the reason of doing this?

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
Sorry, you move the surround speakers to close to each other?? What is the reason of doing this?
Because the closer you are to boundaries the more that certain bass frequencies will be exaggerated. I only mean a foot or two away from the corners, not to have them close to each other.

G

GordonW

Enthusiast
I think some pretty good guidance has been given here.

However, there are some good ceiling speakers out there... in this case, there is a good option for wall-mounting small cabinets, but in some cases, it's just not practical. In that case, a good ceiling speaker (especially one with an aimable tweeter) can do wonders. I've used some of the higher-end Boston and Tannoy units for this purpose... they did very well. Truthfully... if you get the surround speaker in a good location, relative to the listeners (above and behind), as long as you don't just use junk back there, and it timbre-matches the fronts decently well, you should be able to make it work quite well...

In essence... don't throw out the idea of ceiling-mount, if it saves you from worse options...

Regards,
Gordon.

E

echoesian

Audioholic Intern
Looks like Dolby and DTS are suggesting the rear speakers should be placed behind the listener's ear about 110 degree. My rear speakers would be more than 110 degree in this case.... any negative effects of exceeding the 110 degree that is suggested from both standards?

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
Looks like Dolby and DTS are suggesting the rear speakers should be placed behind the listener's ear about 110 degree. My rear speakers would be more than 110 degree in this case.... any negative effects of exceeding the 110 degree that is suggested from both standards?
That's the ideal placement. But, sometimes we have to compromise. It will depend on your priorities. Sure, that back wall is not the ideal location, but it's not bad per se. If you want to conform with the Dolby and DTS recommendations, it looks like the in-ceiling speakers are your only option. I just prefer the flexibility of the bookshelves.

S

s52e368

Full Audioholic
i just picked up the UAC8.2 and UAC6.2 pairs from emotiva they are stunning. cant wait to get install them.

E

echoesian

Audioholic Intern
So, for performance is Bookshelves? and for aesthatic purposes is in-ceiling?

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
So, for performance is Bookshelves? and for aesthatic purposes is in-ceiling?
I guess it comes down to personal preference.

I believe that the bookshelves would provide better inherent sound quality than in-ceiling speakers. However, they would be placed in a compromised position. You can position the in-ceiling speakers wherever you want.

In the end, you'll have to make your own decision.

E

echoesian

Audioholic Intern
I guess it comes down to personal preference.

I believe that the bookshelves would provide better inherent sound quality than in-ceiling speakers. However, they would be placed in a compromised position. You can position the in-ceiling speakers wherever you want.

In the end, you'll have to make your own decision.
What if let's say that I choose B5 as the surround speaker, can it hang on the ceiling with some brackets or metals, would it be too heavy to hang it on the ceiling like that?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis