I'm as new as they come, please guide me!

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
It may be a while before I get to 5.1. If so what kind of woofer am I looking at? can i get anything decent for under 200 or is it better to wait and pay more? Or should I get more speakers first? Decisions decisions
You are the decision maker. Now for a subwoofer, I do not recommend
a cheapy subwoofer - I would save up some more. The towers do have
decent bass for their size. What is the size of your room?

Last edited:
zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
its pretty small, roughly 16x13
For that size room, and mainly music - a good 10" or a good
dual 8" sub, can handle and augment the bass of the towers.
It all depnds on how much bass you want. Are you what one
would call a real head-banger, how loud do you plan to listen?

R

raezo

Audioholic Intern
I loveeeee my music and i like it loud. I dont know that I need the bass right away. Since music is my main priority i think my system will end up being 4 of the floor speakers i ordered and then the center from the set. Movies/games are secondary for me. Maybe it would be different with a surround sound setup but in the past i've always had to use a headset to hear footsteps and such so, i wont even use them much for gaming (I make that statement without trying a surround sound setup, obviously). So yeah loud music but if its anything like car audio, id rather finish my highs before going the sub route because the sub can drowned out the highs. The only reason i was questioning a sub next is from other threads i was reading, starting with a good 2.1 setup.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Maybe it would be different with a surround sound setup but in the past i've always had to use a headset to hear footsteps and such so, i wont even use them much for gaming (I make that statement without trying a surround sound setup, obviously). So yeah loud music but if its anything like car audio, id rather finish my highs before going the sub route because the sub can drowned out the highs. The only reason i was questioning a sub next is from other threads i was reading, starting with a good 2.1 setup.
While the Pioneers are budget friendly, they will have better mids
and highs compared to the KLH speakers. The Pioneer's bass will
also be tight and controlled for music. A good subwoofer that is
set-up properly will not drown out the speakers. A lot of that will
depend on the room, placement/set up.

Once you get your speakers and receiver - and get them in place,
then based on max budget, it will be easier to recommend a sub,
and one that should compliment the Pioneer's for music, and not
be more on the boomy/mushy side.

R

raezo

Audioholic Intern
Since the last receiver went off sale, im looking at this one....

DENON AVR-891 7.1 Channel 105W A/V 1.4 3D-Ready Receiver | Accessories4less

I assume the 5 year warranty for 50$ is a must add for a refurbished receiver?

Any quarrels with a better receiver for the price?

Also, this is the speaker wire im currently using..... http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000N7DY9Y/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00 is it sufficient or do I need something better?

Same question for this HDMI cable http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000IJY8DS/ref=oh_details_o00_s01_i00

Last edited:
monkish54

monkish54

Audioholic General
I assume the 5 year warranty for 50$ is a must add for a refurbished receiver?
I would say it's a must add for 90% of electronics sold today. :p

Any quarrels with a better receiver for the price?
I haven't been able to find one from any of the major manufactures. That receiver is a pretty good deal!

Also, this is the speaker wire im currently using..... Amazon.com: RCA AH16100N 100 feet 16-Gauge Speaker Wire: Electronics is it sufficient or do I need something better?
As long as the cable isn't a pain to work with, you're good to go as far as cable is concerned. For the lengths you said you were running your gauge is fine. :D

HDMI cable is more than fine! :D Unless, of course, you want this one. (Pretend it's an HDMI cable and read the reviews)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis