I'm as new as they come, please guide me!

R

raezo

Audioholic Intern
Hello all, Ryan here!

Over the last week or so I have been trying to decide what to do as far as a sound system. After coming here and poking around I basically am throwing all I read out the door as it seems there is expert advice to be had on this forum.

I am basically looking for a budget system that will still be music to my ears. I basically am a gamer and all this will be hooked to my computer. I play games, listen to music and watch movies all from my computer. This will currently just be a setup for my bedroom that plugs into my sound card but will move to a living room setup in months to come (college student).

Sound Card: ASUS PCI 5.1 Channel Sound Card XONAR_DG

My sound components are very old and probably not great but my receiver is a Pioneer VSX - 3800 I have two pyle 3 inch and two klh floor standing speakers (they have a tweeter, 3 inch speaker, 10 inch sub and a sound hole) in each. I have no clue on the model of the klh, I looked but im not seeing any. Got them as a best buy deal a long time ago. Basically I just run from the cd out to the speaker hook up on the soundcard 3.5mm or whatever it is.

Music is 75% of what this will be used for. If my receiver is good enough to do the job then that will be great. If I should just totally start from scratch then so be it. If I can offer any more details to help you best identify my sound needs, please let me know!

I appreciate any and all help/advice.

Thanks everyone!

monkish54

monkish54

Audioholic General
Hello all, Ryan here!

Over the last week or so I have been trying to decide what to do as far as a sound system. After coming here and poking around I basically am throwing all I read out the door as it seems there is expert advice to be had on this forum.

I am basically looking for a budget system that will still be music to my ears. I basically am a gamer and all this will be hooked to my computer. I play games, listen to music and watch movies all from my computer. This will currently just be a setup for my bedroom that plugs into my sound card but will move to a living room setup in months to come (college student).

Sound Card: ASUS PCI 5.1 Channel Sound Card XONAR_DG

My sound components are very old and probably not great but my receiver is a Pioneer VSX - 3800 I have two pyle 3 inch and two klh floor standing speakers (they have a tweeter, 3 inch speaker, 10 inch sub and a sound hole) in each. I have no clue on the model of the klh, I looked but im not seeing any. Got them as a best buy deal a long time ago. Basically I just run from the cd out to the speaker hook up on the soundcard 3.5mm or whatever it is.

Music is 75% of what this will be used for. If my receiver is good enough to do the job then that will be great. If I should just totally start from scratch then so be it. If I can offer any more details to help you best identify my sound needs, please let me know!

I appreciate any and all help/advice.

Thanks everyone!
What's your budget, my man? :D

R

raezo

Audioholic Intern
Well the stuff that I have been reading about in the 500$ range with all the sales seems like what im looking at but..... I dont want to say 500 and if I said 550, it would make a critical difference, if you know what I mean?

I feel like there is so much to learn as im reading through all these posts. A little overwhelming....lol.

If I could have the best options in the 500-600$ range for say a 5.1 setup and a 2.1 setup eventually going to a 5.1 that would probably be most helpful. As I was reading it seems for music a 5.1 is not actually as beneficial.

Also, the VSX-3800, is it viable or should I just start fresh?

monkish54

monkish54

Audioholic General
I feel like there is so much to learn as im reading through all these posts. A little overwhelming....lol.
If you need anything explained or clarified, that's what we're here for!

As I was reading it seems for music a 5.1 is not actually as beneficial.
It can be. I've heard great things about Multi Channel music. That said, it gets much more expensive (unless you get budget 5.1).

Also, the VSX-3800, is it viable or should I just start fresh?
I'd start fresh!

How do you intend to hook up the receiver to your sound card? RCA to 3.5mm jack?

R

raezo

Audioholic Intern
Yes, I see there are some better options through a usb mixer type adapter but lets start rca to 3.5mm.

monkish54

monkish54

Audioholic General
Yes, I see there are some better options through a usb mixer type adapter but lets start rca to 3.5mm.
I'd stick to RCA to 3.5mm. Once more money comes along, I'd upgrade my sound card. :D

Where will these be placed? Desk?

adwilk

adwilk

Audioholic Ninja
Hmmm... Broad question for sure... You honestly have a ton of options in your price range. I'm a big fan of spending all your money now on a nice pair of speakers and then upgrading from there. IE, adding a sub, surrounds, etc. Your receiver will probably be fine for what you're after, but it doesn't have a subwoofer pre-out limiting your options later.

Upgrading just for the sake of upgrading can be a never ending worm can- You have gear now, what do you feel like you're missing? What do you want from a setup that yours doesn't do now? Having a plan for improvement is a good idea. Perhaps we can better help you if we have a better idea what is you want to accomplish than just "better". Make sense?

R

raezo

Audioholic Intern
These can literally be placed anywhere in my room. I wish I had the measurement to my room better. My desk is a small desk literally my 24 inch monitor is maybe 10 inches shy of being as wide as the desk. I have dressers and night stands all around from placing speakers or mounting on walls or room for sitting on the floor (I am making my room sound bigger than it is).

My reason for upgrading is honestly the KLH's are old and seem to be deteriorating sound wise. The pyle's were just a quick addition, they really don't sound great. The KLH's sounded better alone.

My initial thought was to go on Amazon and get something like.....

Onkyo HT-S3500 5.1-Channel Home Theater Speaker/Receiver Package

Then after reading and researching more and more, I feel like I want to commit more because my money can be better spent, if that makes sense.

I love music, I want it to sound good. I watch movies and game all with the same sound. If this receiver will get me by for a little while then i'll use it for now but I want to have a goal in mind of what to move to later say a month or few down the road.

Am I clarifying for you or just rambling? Super novice here.

monkish54

monkish54

Audioholic General
These can literally be placed anywhere in my room. I wish I had the measurement to my room better. My desk is a small desk literally my 24 inch monitor is maybe 10 inches shy of being as wide as the desk. I have dressers and night stands all around from placing speakers or mounting on walls or room for sitting on the floor (I am making my room sound bigger than it is).

My reason for upgrading is honestly the KLH's are old and seem to be deteriorating sound wise. The pyle's were just a quick addition, they really don't sound great. The KLH's sounded better alone.

My initial thought was to go on Amazon and get something like.....

Onkyo HT-S3500 5.1-Channel Home Theater Speaker/Receiver Package

Then after reading and researching more and more, I feel like I want to commit more because my money can be better spent, if that makes sense.

I love music, I want it to sound good. I watch movies and game all with the same sound. If this receiver will get me by for a little while then i'll use it for now but I want to have a goal in mind of what to move to later say a month or few down the road.

Am I clarifying for you or just rambling? Super novice here.
Nope, you're good to go.

I'd certainly recommend you upgrade your receiver. That thing is ancient, and you can buy new receiver for pretty cheap.

Ok, $500 for a pair of speakers and a receiver.

In theory you could buy a pair of $500 speakers, and upgrade the receiver in a month, etc., but my recommendation for a $500/pr, is probably going to be the same as my recommendation for a $300/pr.

Let me look at some of the deals going around. :D

monkish54

monkish54

Audioholic General
I was considering recommending these:

RS334, but Audioholics reviewed them and I'm not too impressed.

Of the other options I saw that are worthy, I'd say it's between:

Q100

and

SP-FS52

R

raezo

Audioholic Intern
Based on the price and they match my furniture better, the SP-FS52 seem good. What about as far as a new receiver?

H

hizzaah

Full Audioholic
Good choice! There's a matching center, surrounds and sub for those if you decide to move to 5.1 in the future.

R

raezo

Audioholic Intern
monkish54

monkish54

Audioholic General
The receiver he suggested is already up $50 from last night.
Awwww man! That receiver was sweet! Maybe I can find it elsewhere. I'll take a look. I might be able to get them to lower the price, if you're willing to buy it today?

Also, the matching set is the best way to go for these floor speakers, when i continue into completing my 5.1?
Yup. You can either get another pair of towers, a pair of the BS-22, or a pair of the BS-41 for surrounds. :D Don't get the sub. There is better to be had for the money.

Any suggestions on a good budget sound card?
Yes. Don't buy one. :p A budget sound card might be a somewhat better than yours, but no budget sound card I have seen has a decent FR. If you want a sound card upgrade that will actual be a good performer, hold out for a good, idk, $200 sound card. (All the good sound cards I have seen are in that price range)

That said, maybe someone knows of a budget sound card that has a good FR, S/N R. etc. That would be amazing, as I'm looking for one too! ;)

EDIT: Ignore this part. I is moron. xD

Last edited:
BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Don't waste a single cent on new Sound Card !!!!
Unless you get one with Dolby Digital Live/DTS Live - these sometimes called a bit differently, but the is simple: They take the surround sound from games and make into digital signal which receiver can decode

I think Asus DG doesn't do it, again this will matter only for games. Most movies with surround sound already in right format

So my suggestion is this:
You already ordered very good speakers. You can connect it now this way:

Asus DG->your old Receiver -> Pioneer speakers only
detach anything else... Leave some room (2-3ft) from each side of speaker then you place them

If you want 5.1 - You will to change your Receiver - Ether one from AC4L - 250-300 should get you pretty decent model.

Now if music and movies are more important to you - I'd connect pc optical to new AVR

The will be NO difference at all if you connect to Optical on the mobo or the soundcard.
I connected $150 DAC and my $400 studio monitors (see sig) to such port on my Asrock mobo and quality is excellent, since PC is doing absolutely nothing to sound, but passing it thru

monkish54

monkish54

Audioholic General
The will be NO difference at all if you connect to Optical on the mobo or the soundcard.
I connected $150 DAC and my $400 studio monitors (see sig) to such port on my Asrock mobo and quality is excellent, since PC is doing absolutely nothing to sound, but passing it thru
What was I thinking!?

I apologize. You're right.

When you use digital the receiver will use its internal DAC and you will bypass the poop DAC on your sound card.

If you upgrade your receiver (which you should, IMO) you can use HDMI. :D

R

raezo

Audioholic Intern
I'll pick up the receiver in the next few days. Then a subwoofer to get a 2.1 going? It may be a while before I get to 5.1. If so what kind of woofer am I looking at? can i get anything decent for under 200 or is it better to wait and pay more? Or should I get more speakers first? Decisions decisions

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis