I want to turn certain speakers off sometimes

S

scarecrow

Audioholic Intern
I have a yamaha rxv650 and when I play 7-channel stereo I'd like to be able to turn off the center and back rears. I can turn them down, but no I want to turn them completely off. Do I have to go and unplug the speakers. They should have ways to disengage/ turn off speakers manually, does anybody know how I can turn certain speakers off through this model? Comments are appreciated, thanks.

Jase

Jase

Junior Audioholic
Does it not give you the option to listen to 5ch Stereo either as a mode or just by switching OFF the Surround Backs? As for the Centre, I doubt if you can switch if off for that mode unless you go into the main setup menu and tell it you have no Centre speaker at all. The drawback to this is that it will apply to all modes and will probably only let you select Large speakers as an option for the fronts.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I would have to ask why.

You can switch it to stereo, which only runs audio through the front two main speakers. But, the point of 7 channel stereo is to run stereo evenly through all speakers in an accurate L/R orientation. If you are facing the front of the room, then this should properly sound like stereo, but will envelop you all around.

I wouldn't consider 4 channel stereo as a feature I would want - what next? 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 channel stereo with and without an active LFE output? I think it just starts getting into overkill for a personal preference.

You can get relay switches if you want that will open and close the physical audio path to the speakers. It's a low voltage contact, so you would wire it in, then flip a switch and the speakers would cut off and then on.

Nomo

Nomo

Audioholic Samurai
I don't believe you can literally turn them "off" in 7ch. The best you can do is turn their levels down to 0% by using the arrow keys on the remote while in 7ch mode.

A

av_phile

Senior Audioholic
This is one of the arguments to having separate amps for each channel, as you get the convinience of turning off unwanted channels in any mode. Lacking in such flexbility, I guess you would need some kind of switch along the audio path to the speakers to do that. I know there's not much logic in setting the receiver to 7.1ch stereo and wanting to switch off some channels. Might as well go to direct, 3.1, 5.1 etc stereo modes. Am sure you have your reasons.

S

scarecrow

Audioholic Intern
I can turn them off via on-screen display! and then turn them back on via on screen display, when I need to. I wanted to cut off all channels except l+r surrounds for sleeping because I can't do it any other way and the neighbours can even get disturbed by just the centre being on sometimes. Thanks for the help. There's only 2 chnl streo or 7 chnl stereo and the unit will go to 1,2,3,4,5,6, channel stereo instead of 7 channel stereo because it reads what speakers are plugged in and only utilizes them, so bmxtrix it actually does what you were saying there and I can turn them on or off(regardless of what's plugged in or what the machine reads) so there's actually no downfall at all, and you guys helped me figure that out, I didn't realize that, so I owe you guys a coffee. Thanks.

Last edited:
zipper

zipper

Full Audioholic
I may be a bit late for a response but if your remote has an "effect" button on it you can switch from any sound field to 2-ch stereo by using this button.................subwoofer will still work in this mode if you are using one.

D

Dolby CP-200

Banned
You need to set you’re home cinema, up with an array of matching amplifiers matching loudspeakers for the fronts LCR and array of subs and surrounds with a few Behinger DCX2496.

With this rather affordable loudspeaker management system you can monitor any single channel whether it be the LF or HF of an independent channel, by selecting the mute button then mute the channels that you don’t wish to hear, so that you can monitor the channel of you're desired choice.

Right now I’m monitoring the monaural surround and a small song called “Oh Father” by Madonna on DVD-RW. I find it quite relaxing listening to the ambient echo over the arrays of JBL control 1 that line the sidewalls.

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Yamaha settings

For watching movies at night, try the following:
1. Turn down the volume
2. Try the "night mode" or dynamic compressions settings on your Yamaha so there wont be loud peaks on the soundtrack.
3. If that doesn't work, get a pair of headphones.

The surround back channels in perticular aren't used much and there isn't much 6.1 or 7.1 source material. The center channel is important for dialog and when it is disabled the sound goes to the left and right mains. Your neighbors hear the total SPL level or the sub, not a perticular speaker.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis