I Hate Best Buy Deals

D

DuluthMN

Audioholic Intern
Ok, if you read my previous post you would see that after 5 pages of great advice I found my receiver. Well, while I was ordering my wonderful wife showed me the Best Buy sale paper from the Sunday News Paper. So now I am torn between which one.

Onkye HT-RC160 $240 Shipped to my door

OR

Denon AVR391 $199 at Best Buy and as low as $150 on eBay...

After researching the Denon it appears it has everything that I require in an AVR, and another member mentioned in my previous thread that Denon were built to last. Just wanted to get everyones input...

D

DuluthMN

Audioholic Intern
Get the Denon.
But not from Ebay.
Is the only difference the number of speakers that can be connected? Are there any more major differences between them?

So it seems the Denon is the way to go...

EDIT.... Nevermind, the Denon will not work! I need component hook ups for the Wii so that I can use the surround sound for the Wii... So looks like the Onkye is the way to go...

Last edited:
highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Ok, if you read my previous post you would see that after 5 pages of great advice I found my receiver. Well, while I was ordering my wonderful wife showed me the Best Buy sale paper from the Sunday News Paper. So now I am torn between which one.

OR

After researching the Denon it appears it has everything that I require in an AVR, and another member mentioned in my previous thread that Denon were built to last. Just wanted to get everyones input...
If a warranty means anything to you, don't buy anything on ebay. For that matter, most e-tailers aren't authorized by many companies to sell their products and online sales are prohibited by the dealer agreement. The warranty won't be covered in all but a few cases.

OTOH, for $150, why care? If it breaks, just throw it away and buy another, right?

anamorphic96

anamorphic96

Audioholic General
Is the only difference the number of speakers that can be connected? Are there any more major differences between them?

So it seems the Denon is the way to go...

EDIT.... Nevermind, the Denon will not work! I need component hook ups for the Wii so that I can use the surround sound for the Wii... So looks like the Onkye is the way to go...
You don't need componet inputs to get surround sound from your Wii. Just plug in the audio portion to the receiver and engage the Dolby Pro Logic II.:)

I would also look at the next model up with Denon. AVR-591/1611. The Audyssey system alone is worth the money.

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
WTF?:confused:

1) Component is a video connection, not audio. Wii does not have this connection. rgb

2) Wii has composite. r/w=audio y=video

To get surround, use PLII as recommended in previous post.

N

Nugu

Audioholic
The Wii does use Component. You just have to buy a after market cable to use it. It's required to get the 480p resolution.

However, I don't think the Wii outputs anything other than Stereo.

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
The Wii does use Component. You just have to buy a after market cable to use it. It's required to get the 480p resolution.
Tried my best to look at pics of the back panel on the net before I posted. Still think the OP has component and composite confused.

D

DuluthMN

Audioholic Intern
Tried my best to look at pics of the back panel on the net before I posted. Still think the OP has component and composite confused.
You are wrong sir, I do not have component and Composite confused. Well, a week ago I had them confused, but not after joining this site.

I was going to order the Wii aftermarket component cable and that was my reasoning for saying that the Denon would not work. But now that I realize the Wii is only capable of 480, I am not determined that being concerned with componet in's on an AVR is actually that critical.

Do you all agree or not?

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
You are wrong sir, I do not have component and Composite confused. Well, a week ago I had them confused, but not after joining this site.
My assumption was based on your claim of component supporting audio.

I was going to order the Wii aftermarket component cable and that was my reasoning for saying that the Denon would not work. But now that I realize the Wii is only capable of 480, I am not determined that being concerned with componet in's on an AVR is actually that critical.

Do you all agree or not?
I would agree. However I am not a gamer, so a Wii itself is not critical.

N

Nugu

Audioholic
Remember it only outputs 360p with the RGB cables. It's almost a jump from VHS to DVD quality.

Neither one of those receivers look all that appealing to me. If you don't mind buying a refurb take a look at accessories4less. They're a authorized Onkyo seller so you get a 1 year warranty.

You could get a refurb Onkyo TX-SR508 7.1 for 210$ shipped. 3-D ready, 80w, and lots of connections.

If you do buy a Onkyo be aware they run hot. Do not put it in a enclosed cabinet. (I actually have 2 small DC fans blowing air over my 607)

Last edited:
Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
Remember it only outputs 360p with the RGB cables. It's almost a jump from VHS to DVD quality.

Neither one of those receivers look all that appealing to me. If you don't mind buying a refurb take a look at accessories4less. They're a authorized Onkyo seller so you get a 1 year warranty.

You could get a refurb Onkyo TX-SR508 7.1 for 210$ shipped. 3-D ready, 80w, and lots of connections.

If you do buy a Onkyo be aware they run hot. Do not put it in a enclosed cabinet. (I actually have 2 small DC fans blowing air over my 607)
OP just experienced a problem with a display model tv, pretty sure he will forgo the refurb. I would.;)

anamorphic96

anamorphic96

Audioholic General

Do you all agree or not?
If you wanted the receiver to upscale the image to 1080p. Then yes componet inputs will be needed. The 1911 will do this.

D

DuluthMN

Audioholic Intern
If you wanted the receiver to upscale the image to 1080p. Then yes componet inputs will be needed. The 1911 will do this.
Holy crap man, I would hope for over $500 dollars it would also make my breakfast... Way too much for me too spend. But thanks anyway.

F

farout

Audioholic Intern

OR

farout here i agree dennon made to last. even the older ones which i own. they are even better with solid and quality parts i most of their products.

digicidal

digicidal

Full Audioholic
Holy crap man, I would hope for over $500 dollars it would also make my breakfast... Way too much for me too spend. But thanks anyway.
Sweet... I guess the Denon I just picked up will make me lunch and dinner too then... I have to remember to ask it. :)

I guess the most salient question I can think to ask is: are you using the Wii solely for playing games, or are you also using it as a DVD player and/or Netflix/Streaming frontend? If it's just games - maybe you have better ones than the ones I have for my Wii but I don't think the extra resolution will get you much (OK smoother versions of 1990 PC graphics perhaps - but nothing is going to make it look like a PS3/XBox360).

On the other hand, if you are using it for DVD playback or media streaming - then I would say the difference would be worth it. Of course, I'd also say that spending $250 on any network capable BR player would get you much, much, MUCH more. ;) (Did I say 'much'?)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis