HT Ragazine's Top 20 DVDs

H

hopjohn

Full Audioholic
Each year in August HT Magazine publishes it's top 100 DVDs List. Well, this year they changed up their format and grouped DVDs in several categories. They were the following: Best TV on DVD, Best Music, Best Extras, Best Video, Best Audio, and Best Overall, and one dumb category for good DVD packages, for not so good movies.

First off, why bother devoting the time and space to packages for crap movies? If Revenge of the Vampire Dinosaurs is in a special gold tin set, with loads of extras, it's still crap in a shiny package.

My biggest gripe however, is with the best Audio DVD choices. Here is the best Audio DVDs they chose ranked in order from 20 to 1, with 1 being the best followed by my comments as to why I agree or disagree and my ranking.

20. Daredevil - Good enough action picture, but doesn't really come to mind as a mind numbing audio expeience. At least it's high on the list, but it doesn't make my top 20. Dropped

19. X2 X-men United - Love the movie, love the comic, love the actors, love the actors they chose to play the parts. A wonderful audio experience during Professor X's whispering into everyones minds, and the many battle scenes, also don't forget the exploding dam. Movin up. (17)

18. Apollo 13 DTS - Light ojn overall surround experience outside of the few rocket takeoffs, which are nice, but the lack of quantity is enough to warrant concern. Sorry, just off the list. Dropped

17. Pirates of the Caribbean - Good, movie, some worthy audio, but not deserving of the list. Dropped

16. Twister SE DTS - Well underated here, c'mon their f-in tornados. (4)

15. Desperado Superbit - Convincing war scenes, Top 20? Dropped

14. Speed 5 Star Coll. - Keanu Reeves and Movies don't mix, but this has some good audio Top 20? Dropped

13. Cast Away - WTF?!!! Not even top 40. Dropped, Kicked, Slammed

12. Matrix Reloaded - Did HT Mag have to group these together to strengthen their stance? Where's the orginal Matrix?, with audio as good and a plot to boot. Dropped

11. Matrix Revolutions - see #12 Dropped

10. Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones. Reference Material, no problem with it being here. The pod scene is becoming classic amongst HTers. (7)

9. Gladiator - More reference stuff, love the discrete DTS (6)

8. Patriot Superbit - Good, even great but not at #8. (13)

7. Lord of the Rings Two Towers - This one deserves to be higher up than its predecessor. Again grouping like sequels, what are the odds? (12)

6. Lord of the Rings Fellowship of the Ring - see #7 (14)

5. Black Hawk Down Superbit - Earplugs anyone?, this one rattles your fillings, It may deserve an even higher ranking. (3)

4. T2 Exteme Edition - with T3 out is this this he final DVD release of T2? Anyway.. it my be a lttle overated at #4, but is very solid reference material. Oh yea... and where is T3 on the list? (15)

3. U-571 - DEEP Bass, but are these DVDs only a Subwoofer test? A little high at #3 (16)

2. Master and Commander - Incredible Canons that rock your boat and house, but little else impresses in the remainder of the film. Just not enough going on for it to be rated #2. Newer doesn't mean better. (20)

1. Saving Private Ryan DTS - Wow they managed not to screw up the #1 choice, you'd be hard pressed to find a better sounding DVD. (1)

Other DVDs that SHOULD have made the cut.

Independence Day (5)
End of Days (10)
Bad Boys II (17)
Jurassic Park Trilogy (11)
Terminator 3 (9)
True Lies (8)
Kill Bill (18)
LOTR Return of the King (2)

Rock&Roll Ninja

Rock&Roll Ninja

Audioholic Field Marshall
They forgot the superbit DTS of Bram Stoker's Dracula. Not much in the way of a .1 channel but the surround mix far exceeds 16 of their top 20.

zipper

zipper

Full Audioholic
Good list.I love Independence Day but thought it could've been a little better,audio wise.The shoot-out at the end of "Open Range" is stellar.Not just the shots,which are cool,but the way they echo. if you haven't seen this yet,crank it up when you do.Unfortunately,for audio spectacle,there isn't much in the rest of the movie.

W

Westrock2000

Junior Audioholic
Haha I was thinking True Lies too. I have the Laserdisc, and man the Harrier scene is just freaking sweet!

Days Of Thunder is also very convincing, but I don't know, comparing my DVD to my LD, it just seemed the louder I turned up the DVD, it just got louder it didn't get "involving" like the LD. But still a damn fun movie either way...nothing like the sound of engines blasting.

What about something with great music, like some of the Vangelis music, like Blade Runner or 1492: Conquest Of Paradise?

Is there a DVD of The Memphis Belle? Again the engine thing is always good, especially good old fashioned props. :)

The first true "Hi-Fi" I ever heard, was on a friends brothers system...big 7 foot Martin Logans, playing T2. Man that mini gun was just so sweet....hearing the bullets hit the ground individually (well sorta :D )....really got me interested.

I hear The Matrix in Laserdisc. I think I may try and find that one.

U

Unregistered

I agree with most of your comments. However, Cast Away deserves a high ranking. The plane crash into the ocean was extremely intense. The screaming engine plunging into the water near Tom Hanks was deafening. In terms of intensity, this scene is second only to the D-Day Invasion in the opening of Saving Private Ryan.

The rest of the Cast Away had incredible ambiance of wind, waves and other island sounds to capture the sense of solitude. While the remainder of the film is devoid of explosions, without a high-end audio system, this movie loses a significant portion of its impact.

I only own a few DVDs that possess excellent audio/video or a fantastic story. It is nice to have a few of these films on hand to share with friends/family.

Third Element
Saving Private Ryan
Cast Away
Gladiator
Bugs Life
Monsters Inc.
XMEN
The Good The Bad and The Ugly
Ground Hog Day
Gattaca

I had been considering buying some of the higher definition “Superbit” films, but will probably just wait for HD DVD. I wish I had Third Element and Gattaca in the “Superbit” format.

Allen

D

DSMCasey

Junior Audioholic
Where's Pearl Harbor? I mean come on, DTS, great sound... lots of planes, bombs, etc. Also where is Gone in 60 Seconds?

-Case

Malakei

Malakei

Junior Audioholic
Kill Bill????? So cut.

Yes I hear days of thunder, Pearl Harbor and Gone in 60 should be creepin' up there.

Where is the new Top Gun 6.1 DTS? I just bought it and it soudns awesome with the exception of a few parts and I think that I just dont have my speakers set up right for it. I Have a centre for my rear centre and the vocals/music come too strong in some of the songs in the movie. It will be like one guitar or one synth sound blaring my rear centre haha. Other then that its spectacular. Master and Commander sounded awesome, definately one of the best couple audio scenes ive heard but the movie itself is missing quite a bit. I do agree with dropping cast away, mr hanks only movie i would buy based on the premise of surround would be forrest gump which would probably be pretty good in dts during the war.

TWISTER in 6.1 is my next hunt. If anyone knows where to find it even in 5.1dts for a good price could you let me know?

Cheers

Malakei

Malakei

Junior Audioholic
third element?

And whats this movie Third element you guys are talking about? I've only ever seen the 5th element.

H

HoneyMan

Enthusiast
Master & Commander
Star Wars Episode II
Fight Club (believe it or not)
The Village

I thought Lord of the Rings and 5th element sounded poor

Rock&Roll Ninja

Rock&Roll Ninja

Audioholic Field Marshall
Appearently this is a "Top 20 LFE tracks" rather than best sound overall.

L

Leprkon

Audioholic General
You get some excellent quality sound in King Arthur, Stargate, Courage Under Fire, the Fifth Element (it's amazing how the first black planet response seems to run right up to your face but not go all the way past to the rear surrounds), the 13th Ghost (marginal movie but excellent sound) and the two Mortal Kombat movies (again marginal movies, but great sound). Pale Rider has some extremely subtle effects that mimic real life.

I completely agree that Matrix 1 should be on, and the others off. Speed on laserdisk was good (don't know about DVD)

Wasn't the Pod Scene in Star Wars Ep 1 ? with the screaming yippie kid ? would rather see Ep 2 on the list than Ep 1... JarJar doesn't sound good no matter how many channels..... :D

nick_danger

nick_danger

Audioholic
Has anyone even seen a DTS version of True Lies? Did/Does/Will one ever exist? It's one of my favorite movies of all time and I'd like to get the best version...

D

DNelms

Enthusiast
nick_danger said:
Has anyone even seen a DTS version of True Lies? Did/Does/Will one ever exist? It's one of my favorite movies of all time and I'd like to get the best version...
I have True Lies DTS on Laser Disc and it does sound very good, unknown if there is a DVD release. I have to say that there are so many great sounding discs out there. Give Yellow Submarine a listen.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
Here's a good list - they are all DTS ES Discrete 6.1 to keep your head spinning and heart pounding...

Austin Powers in Goldmember
Bad Taste
Beastmaster
Blade 2
Blade Trinity
Bones
Butterfly Effect, The
Can't Stop The Music
Chicken Run
Contamination
Day of the Dead
Dead & Buried
Dirty Dancing: Ultimate Edition
Evil Dead, The
Fast Company
Final Countdown, The
Final Destination 2
God Told Me To
Gladiator (2-disc only)
Haunting, The
Highlander
Highlander 2: The Quickening
Hills Have Eyes, The
Leatherface: Texas Chainsaw Massacre III
Lord Of The Rings: The Fellowship Of The Rings, The: Extended Edition
Lord Of The Rings: The Return of the King, The: Extended Edition
Lord Of The Rings: The Two Towers, The: Extended Edition
Man Who Fell to Earth, The
Maniac
Mask: SE, The
Neon Genesis Evangelion: End of Evangelion
Open Water
Opera
Q: The Winged Serpent
Running Man, The
Rush Hour 2
Saw
Seven: Platinum Series
S1mone
Standing in the Shadows of Motown
Stargate: Ultimate Edition
Stir of Echoes: SE
Stunt Man, The
Suspiria
Texas Chainsaw Massacre, The
Top Gun: Special Collector's Edition
Venom
Vigilante
Watcher in the Woods, The

Don't forget all the excellent Pixar movies. Has anyone cranked up Disney's Fantasia 2000 "Whale Scene"? Don't blow your sub!

J

JP_Silver_S2k

Audioholic Intern
Malakei said:
Kill Bill????? So cut.

Yes I hear days of thunder, Pearl Harbor and Gone in 60 should be creepin' up there.

Where is the new Top Gun 6.1 DTS? I just bought it and it soudns awesome with the exception of a few parts and I think that I just dont have my speakers set up right for it. I Have a centre for my rear centre and the vocals/music come too strong in some of the songs in the movie. It will be like one guitar or one synth sound blaring my rear centre haha. Other then that its spectacular. Master and Commander sounded awesome, definately one of the best couple audio scenes ive heard but the movie itself is missing quite a bit. I do agree with dropping cast away, mr hanks only movie i would buy based on the premise of surround would be forrest gump which would probably be pretty good in dts during the war.

TWISTER in 6.1 is my next hunt. If anyone knows where to find it even in 5.1dts for a good price could you let me know?

Cheers

go into your system set up menu on your reciever and bring your rear surround down by atleast -1.5db and bring your front center up +.5 to +1.0db

J

JP_Silver_S2k

Audioholic Intern
I agree Top Gun SCE: 6.1 DTS is a must have for any home theater!! that and gladiator are my 2 favorites in HT

MasterChief

MasterChief

Junior Audioholic
Im gonna have to go get a copy of Top Gun SCE i bet it sounds incredible. What do u guys think is the best DTS ES discrete movie? I only own a couple but i rented Open Water LOL wat a waste of 6.1. why would they use it there and not for other awesome movies :confused:

MasterChief

MasterChief

Junior Audioholic
Nice its a future shop on sale 15.99 and free shipping LOL i think i ll just go pick it up :D cant wait.

Malakei

Malakei

Junior Audioholic
adjusting my receiver

i would have adjusted my surround settings and i guess its not much of a bother i was just too lazy to switch them back for my majority of other movies. but it only makes sense to turn them down if the rear centre is too loud. i think it might be because i have an actual centre as my rear as apposed to a typical surround, might make the vocal ranges come through more and have the effect of being too loud. i will fiddle with settings when i get time :D

S

SIC DETH

Audiophyte
GODZILLA is one of the best Ive heard.Go pick it up at Wal-Mart for $5.50.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis