What's your opinion of the new VTF-3HO ?

• Love it, looks like a blown V8 engine!

Votes: 14 21.5%
  • Still pending, can't decide. Waiting on Craig's shootout.

Votes: 18 27.7%
  • Wife would leave me regardless of what I thought, not an option.

Votes: 11 16.9%
  • Hate it, belongs in a bathroom or next to a washing machine.

Votes: 22 33.8%

• Total voters
vinyl

vinyl

Enthusiast
Peter Marcks said:
Please keep in mind that turbocharger is not required,
Required for optimum performance, otherwise why implement it? Nevertheless, not a deal breaker for me if so inclined.

race4aliving

race4aliving

Audioholic
I know it works great but...it looks like the dishwasher from the Jetsons.
or like else someone said make the ports out carbon fiber.then bolt on some zoomy headers and a blower drive

K

kingtut

Junior Audioholic
w/out the turbo, the HO looks pretty good. w/the turbo, it looks like some kind of industrial appliance.

B

bandit

Audioholic
In case any one is wondering - I have WAF opinion that I can throw in.

She is wondering if it runs on NOS? might go well with aluminum pipes and flames I saw mentioned earlier.

K

---k---

Junior Audioholic
I just want to point out, I'm not crazy about the appearance of the typical cylinders.

The simple plain boxes look great to me.

F

fergusonv

Audioholic
I think the idea of the turbo was a very good one and was implemented well but that does not change the fact that it's pretty ugly.

M

Manic Miner

Junior Audioholic
I showed my girlfriend a Pitcure of the HO with the turbo, her reply was "You are NOT buying that thing!". I think it is a good thing that the turbo is detachable :)

There is an art to making a small subwoofer that has high power output and linearity. Oh, I'm sorry that was off-topic wasn't it. :)

K

---k---

Junior Audioholic
Hey, I'm not about to put Steve Callas's 6'tall DIY monster in my room based purely on size/looks. But, that doesn't mean that it is a bad sub. Just the opposite. Usually, the less WAF appeal, the more monsterous the sub is!

S

silversurfer

Senior Audioholic
Definitely looks better from the front than the rear. Also, you NEVER want to cover the ports with fabric on any sub.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
Manic Miner said:
I showed my girlfriend a Pitcure of the HO with the turbo, her reply was "You are NOT buying that thing!". I think it is a good thing that the turbo is detachable :)
show her a pic of the HSU without the turbo ... buy it ... then say "look!, free stuff"

majorloser

majorloser

Manic Miner said:
Snap-On Tools :eek:

Would she want to use the turbo?

majorloser

majorloser

Clint DeBoer said:
There is an art to making a small subwoofer that has high power output and linearity. Oh, I'm sorry that was off-topic wasn't it. :)
GO STAND IN THE CORNER!

mandatory banning

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
Hey, are we all in agreement that it looks better than this?

Mr. Lamb Fries

Mr. Lamb Fries

Full Audioholic
Manic Miner said:

Tell her the turbo vibrates uncontrollably;)

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Buckeyefan 1 said:
Hey, are we all in agreement that it looks better than this?

Ok, I have seen this pic many times. What subwoofer is that?

SheepStar

J

JonnyOzero3

Audioholic Intern
I voted that I love the looks, but as I've just recieved mine I would like to elaborate and say i will have to agree that it looks better in person. It is damn imposing in the room - I really had no idea it would be this big. the turbo does have an interesting appearance, but it has a novelty factor as well. all told though, fit and finish are good and the sub gets the job done in an excellent manner. I have no complaints. Would I prefer to own something that is made of indonesian endangered redwood coated with ancient roman crystal? Sure, it'd look nice, but I don't want to pay for the better finish at the moment. The black actually matches my Ascends perfectly. I think Dr. Hsu & co. balanced aesthetics vs cost into the cost vs performance equation very well.

That said, I think my room would be a better fit for a pair of TN-1220HO's (new version) laying on their sides behind my front row. THAT would be perfect for me. (Peter and the good doctor...are you listening ;))

shokhead

shokhead

Audioholic General
Sheep said:
Ok, I have seen this pic many times. What subwoofer is that?

SheepStar
Is that a blowup that does it all while riding in your vacant passenger seat?

spyboy

spyboy

Junior Audioholic
Being single, I don't have to answer to anyone. I happen to like the "equipment look" and I use my main speakers without their grill cloths. They sound better that way too. So, my forthcoming HO's with Turbos won't surprise anyone.

Also, my 65 inch Toshiba CRT-RPTV is SO prominent, nobody can take their eyes off it. At the pre-order price of $1,900/pair delivered, I don't think anything can touch them when it comes to bang for the buck.

Jon

Good luck trying to get the 1220 revived. Not that I wouldn't like to see that happen. I just think that the competition pretty much killed that. Hope I'm wrong.

S

saintb

Audiophyte
Buckeye,

I think you need more choices than these 4:

-Love it, looks like a blown V8 engine!
-Still pending, can't decide. Waiting on Craig's shootout
-Wife would leave me regardless of what I thought, not an option.
-Hate it, belongs in a bathroom or next to a washing machine.

Choices like.

-Its pretty cool
-Appearance doesn't matter for subs

Your 4 choices are a little extreme, IMO. As a Sociologist and an HO owner I feel there is some middle ground to this appearance discussion. Personally, I love it w/o the turbo... and the appearance of the turbo has grown on me. So, I would say it is "pretty cool".

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis