How hot do you run your subwoofers?

timoteo

timoteo

Audioholic General
Thats good to hear. Im glad its not due to a lack of quality bass but that your line arrays are that good. Because everything ive read on those Conquests is really good. Those mains must be pretty incredible, thats awesome!

I live in Whittier. Its not too far from Fullerton in case you dont know where it is. I sometimes do work not to far from Fontana. My buddy is a engineer at the JamesHardie plant near you.

edoggrc51

edoggrc51

Audioholic
Ah very cool! I have family in Santa Fe Springs so I know exactly where Whittier is. Well if you're ever in my neck of the woods and wanna stop by let me know. :)

B

Beatmatcher247

Full Audioholic
I like my JLs 2dB+ on movies and music. It is not neccessary, i just like the low end to be a little more pronounced as my other speakers can be really assertive with the portions above 90hZ.

Cruise Missile

Cruise Missile

Full Audioholic
70°-72°F..... :p

Flat relative to the rest of the speakers.

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
I run my pair of SVS Ultra subwoofers flat. I like deep, natural sounding bass, not excessive bass that should not be there.

Of course, if you listen at very low levels, you might want an increase, but to do loudness compensation right, you would need to be boosting frequencies above just the subwoofer. For that function, using a device (like a preamp) with a loudness compensation circuit will give the best results.

Also, if one's subwoofers are not going low enough, one might miss that deep bass and want to boost it to try to make up for the bass that is absent. That, of course, never works out quite right, as one still is missing the deepest bass and one is getting too much upper bass that way.

theJman

theJman

Audioholic Chief
I have the gain on the sub at about 1 o'clock. The AVR varies; TV watching is usually +4dB, while movies are generally +2dB.

walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
Gain 12 o'clock on all 4 subs. On Pre-Pro -9.5 db. It's a small living room may be 18X18" or even a little less. That's (2) 400 watt subs with (2) 8" drivers and (2) 1000 watt subs with 12" drivers.

D

dad311

Audioholic Intern
I calibrate manually too and typically only run about 1dB hot so that at lower listening levels it still sounds good. I don't drop it down for higher listening levels though :D
Me too. Just a little extra bass and that's all.

timoteo

timoteo

Audioholic General
SFS yeah i have family there as well, my wife went to SantaFeHigh.

If i know im gonna be workin that way in advance i just may hit you up! I always wanted to hear a Conquest & TWO of them would be really cool. Thanks for the invite ill definately keep it in mind!!

timoteo

timoteo

Audioholic General
Wow your runnin dual 15Hs 2dB hot? Thats gotta be pretty powerful. Nice!

Have you watched Thor on it yet? Excellent bass!
JurassicPark on BD is amazing too!

So Matt34, how are you liking your second 15H in the mix? Im sure its just starting to break-in. Are the co-located or are you going for a more flat response?

Im still loving the sh!t out of mine! :)

Matt34

Matt34

So Matt34, how are you liking your second 15H in the mix? Im sure its just starting to break-in. Are the co-located or are you going for a more flat response?

I got Jurassic Park on BD but haven't watched it yet, haven't watched Thor on the system either. I did watch Captain America last night but felt it was missing some ULF. Sounded good otherwise, just a little light on the bass.

I have them in opposite corners now one in the front, other in the back right.

H

Hocky

Full Audioholic

Thor was pretty brutal. I think that my couch was pushed backwards in my room.

timoteo

timoteo

Audioholic General
You nailed CaptAmerica on the head. Excellent sound but definatelt lacking on the low bass. I was a little let down but overall it wasnt bad. Its a really good movie for someone with a good 12" sub. It will push a 10" or 12" nice without overdriving it.

Oh man you gotta watch Thor & JP. The scene when Thor confronts the FrostGiants is pretty amazing! The movie overall was pretty good but the sound is awesome.

JP is just a great classic that has top notch audio. A definate must have.

So you have the 15Hs split up, nice. I actually have a spot that i could place a second as well. Now im considering it for the future. Not sure if the little lady would like it though :( Oh well she'll live!! :)

W

Wills

Audiophyte
I run my subs so they register about 80dB on my spl meter.

bread29

bread29

Junior Audioholic
Sub at 78-80 db on Radio Shack SPL meter. All other speakers: 75db.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis