How hot do you run your subwoofers?

H

Hocky

Full Audioholic
After having a debate with my friend who runs his subwoofer at a level that I think is way beyond unacceptable and he insists is pretty average, I was curious to see some responses from the group. What level do you run your subwoofer(s) at relative to the rest of the system? Personally, my F212 is set at about +2db.

timoteo

timoteo

Audioholic General
After YPAO sets mine & i double check with an SPL meter these are my settings:
Mains 0dB
Center -1dB
Surrounds -1.5dB
Sub#1 (80hz-50hz) -3dB knob on sub at 9 o'clock
Sub#2 (50hz-16hz) -3dB knob on sub at 9 o'clock

I have my LFE signal being split to 2 subs. 1 does mid-bass & the other handles deep bass. Just so you understand the above explanation.

What is your F212's volume set at? That can make all the difference as to how loud the -3dB in the receiver gets you.

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
I think any answer to this thread needs to be in relation to the rest of your speakers.

H

Hocky

Full Audioholic
I think any answer to this thread needs to be in relation to the rest of your speakers.
Exactly. Relative to a perfect world flat response 20-20k, how hot is the bass is the question. In my case, +2db from "flat."

H

Hocky

Full Audioholic
From a calibrated "flat"?
Audyssey's sub level setting is a bit odd some times, but I'd say your calibrated and left alone answer is probably close enough to flat. Mine is +2db based on average 20-80 vs 80-1000.

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
Yeah, that's all I meant ;)

+2 from an Audyssey or self-calibrated method as opposed to "setting all the channels to 0 and the sub to +2."

R

robc1976

Audioholic
Gain contol on Sub is about 30-35% and audyssey sets mine to -11.5 wich is almost maxed out and I turn it up to -8.5 or -8

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
Flat but on bass heavy material I might turn it down -2. Witch might actually be closer to flat since I calibrate manually with a radio shack SPL meter.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I calibrate manually too and typically only run about 1dB hot so that at lower listening levels it still sounds good. I don't drop it down for higher listening levels though :D

timoteo

timoteo

Audioholic General
With each of my previous AVRs including my current one, i let the auto calibration set the trim. Then i go back & check with my RS spl meter making minor adjustments. Typically i have always turned the sub(s) down anywhere from 1-3dB because at reference volume the subs would distort a bit. But with the subs i have now, i am able to leave the trim where it should be & hit reference levels with ease.

So i dont run subs hot, i either run them at reference or slightly under.

cerwinmad

cerwinmad

Full Audioholic
i am a bit of a bass head plus my velodyne CHT-10R has to keep up with my CV VE12's, so i run the mains at 0db, center at 0db, surrounds at +3db and sub to +6db with the volume set at midway exactly, and dsp set to jazz (no bass boost) sometimes i set it to movie mode (boosts lower output). hey i love the bass!!! plus the VE-12's are very clear, and the onkyo amp i have is not able to really push the 12 inch drivers, although it does a decent job!!

timoteo

timoteo

Audioholic General
Conquest'S? Plural?
Wow dual ported 18" subs & you still rum them hot. Thats a LOT of bass. Suprised your house is still standing:)

I read a lot on the Conquests. I wish Epik still made them.
What do you think of them? Are they musical?

edoggrc51

edoggrc51

Audioholic
Conquest'S? Plural?
Wow dual ported 18" subs & you still rum them hot. Thats a LOT of bass. Suprised your house is still standing:)

I read a lot on the Conquests. I wish Epik still made them.
What do you think of them? Are they musical?
Ya, a twin pack of those monsters. :) My room tends to suck up the bass, plus the open layout of our home doesn't help either.

They're ok for music. XT32 really helped bringing up the SQ. But I generally just use my mains for music.

timoteo

timoteo

Audioholic General
May i ask what it is about the dual Conquests that makes you still run your mains full range for music?

I ask because i used to have dual Earthquake subs (12") that i absolutely loved for movies. But when it came to music i felt there was a little missing. Once i sold them & got my HSU subs i came to really appreciate what good subs do for music. Because they sound so good with music i actually listen to more music than i used to. Movies you ask?....Scary powerful!!! :)

So im wondering if you have a similar experience. Then i wonder if its the sub itself that isnt musical or the size of the driver that handicaps it since music tends to need a light, tight cone for quick & accurate transients. Anyways, since i really liked what i read & saw on the Conquests, I'd love to hear first hand the +s & -s of the design. I've always wondered why the model was discontinued as well. Non the less, what a great looking beast of a sub!!!

edoggrc51

edoggrc51

Audioholic
To be honest it's not so much about the sub. I'm running a pair of LS6 line arrays as my mains. They have incredible extension, so much so that I really dont feel the need to run a sub for music playback.

Where in LA County are you located??

avnetguy

avnetguy

Audioholic Chief
I run an REW house curve and have 3 additional filter settings off that to select from based on the material. Two are for HT, zero and +3db and two for music, zero and -3db with a steeper low freq roll off for the music. For some music I run direct with no sub and just let the towers handle the low end.

Steve

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis