How do I get separate sound to work with HDMI connection on TV?

A

AlexBabich

Audiophyte
Hi,
I am new to this forum.
My problem is a bit complicated. I run a church media ministry.
I have a set up with a PC (HP desktop, Windows 7) and a video camera (Canon Vixia G10) connected to an HDMI switcher (4x4 matrix, Monoprice) and then CAT6-HDMI baluns to a TV (Philips, I believe 55", maybe this one: 55PFL5706/F7) which is about 100 feet away from the camera. The camera has a built-in microphone and I can hear the sound from the camera mic when I select the camera as the signal source. However, the camera mic sound quality is very poor so I decided to connect the sound from a separate amplifier (amplifies the sound from the stage mics) to the TV. I have RCA cables run from the amplifier to the TV and then a 3.5mm stereo adapter which I plug in the back of the TV. The inscription next to the jack says: PC/HDMI 4 AUDIO IN (http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/electronics/detail-page/c26-B004SP10NO-2-l.jpg). My camera is plugged in the HDMI 4 channel but I get no sound with the video. I already tested all the little obvious issues and nothing comes up. My assumption is that either the camera audio and the amp audio interfere or that the TV is not enabled to play a separate audio source with HDMI by default.
I have a SONY 32 inch TV at home and I tested the same scenario but using DVD player as the video input. The sound comes from the DVD and not from the aux audio. Makes me believe that it's an options issue, however, I could not find the option (to enable separate sound with HDMI) on either Philips or Sony TV.
Can someone elucidate this problem for me? I would appreciate any help. Thanks

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Welcome to the forum!

On your Philips, it looks like you need to select "PC" as the source to get it to use the analog audio inputs along with the HDMI 4 video input (page 44 of the owners manual in the Troubleshooting section). Have you tried that already?

If you have tried that already, have you plugged the analog input from those mics into any other source to verify that the mics and cables are all working properly?

A

AlexBabich

Audiophyte
Thanks Adam,
I will look into this tonight. Looks like selecting PC instead of HDMI 4 may resolve the issue. I will let you know.
Alex

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis