How are PSB Alpha LR1 Loudspeakers (2) for bedroom?

J

joebob

Audioholic Intern
Return them. These probably can be categorized into the "cube" category. I also suspect that the specs are overstated as far as extension. I recently replaced B25 rears with the B1s, and my Audyssey XT calibration found the roll-off to be at 90hz, even if PSB states 65hz.

The only real reason I used these is to have the convenient keyhole mounting with lighter weight from the ceiling.

Otherwise, what I basically say every darn time I see a PSB Alpha thread is to avoid them in favor of the Image line. You can get a new pair of Image bookshelves for $259 from either Saturday Audio or DMC Electronics, for example.

I don't know how large of a sum $60 is to you, but it's most definitely worth it in this scenario. Back in the days when these lines were relatively new, the price point difference was much, much more pronounced.

Otherwise, if you are patient, you can every once in a while land a pair of the larger Alphas, the B1s, for about $100 on the classifieds. But, again, the Image upgrade is very well worth it if you are sticking with PSB. It's not even in the same ballpark. I've heard them side by side off the same electronics. If I was blindfolded, I'd probably end up being shocked to find out they were even built by the same manufacturer. JMO and guess.
I have a pair in my family room that I use as surrounds. I was surprised by richness of the sound, given their size. I would certainly not categorize them as cube speakers by any means. As others have suggested, going to a larger size, or moving to the Image line, would work better. Still, these wouldn't be bad for a bedroom setup. I would keep them and try them out. You can always buy something bigger, in the future, and move these to the back.

P.S.
I didn't read some of your responses before I posted. Glad you like them.

Last edited:
Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Sorry Josten, I can't understand why I read the B1 instead of LR1. Me bad. :eek: Unfortunaltey for us Canucks, we're getting the proverbial bone from a price perspective by all countries including Canada.
Old thread resurrection. :D. Hey @3db , my Canton Plus GX surrounds are nice and compact but not the best sound. I've seen PSB Intro LR and Alpha LR1 for sale locally and wondering if they would make an ok side surround? The LR1 would be the better speaker, right? Is there something comparable in the Image line in that size that's worth waiting for?

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Old thread resurrection. :D. Hey @3db , my Canton Plus GX surrounds are nice and compact but not the best sound. I've seen PSB Intro LR and Alpha LR1 for sale locally and wondering if they would make an ok side surround? The LR1 would be the better speaker, right? Is there something comparable in the Image line in that size that's worth waiting for?
I haven’t even heard them but psb is very popular and not a bad choice. If I saw some cheap used I would not hesitate although new is my preferred option. Greetings to 2009 !!!

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Camping has taken me off the audio sites for awhile now and slowly returning to them. Did you get your answer?

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Camping has taken me off the audio sites for awhile now and slowly returning to them. Did you get your answer?
That's ok 3db. I've done a little more research and I think I'm going to spend the extra for a pair of True Mini from Philharmonic Audio. After the front 3, the side surrounds get the most content so it makes sense to me to get something decent. I would opt for the Ceramic Mini but want something compact. I removed the flat panel rear speakers as they sounded crappy and were more of a distraction. When I get new side surrounds I'll probably move the Cantons for front height duty and that should complete the setup.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis