How are PSB Alpha LR1 Loudspeakers (2) for bedroom?

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Would you be avoiding a restocking fee if you don't open the boxes? I'm just trying to understand why you still have closed boxes of new speakers. :D

I don't have any experience with those, but I'll make a comment. Based on the frequency specs for those speakers, I'd set the crossover frequency to at least 100 Hz, maybe higher. Let your ears by the judge, but they are reportedly down 3dB at 100 Hz and down 10dB at 90 Hz.

H

Hanif

Audioholic Intern
Would you be avoiding a restocking fee if you don't open the boxes? I'm just trying to understand why you still have closed boxes of new speakers. :D

I don't have any experience with those, but I'll make a comment. Based on the frequency specs for those speakers, I'd set the crossover frequency to at least 100 Hz, maybe higher. Let your ears by the judge, but they are reportedly down 3dB at 100 Hz and down 10dB at 90 Hz.
restocking fee = correct lol

I had the Polk RTi6s but they were too big for my room and din't need the extra bass from them
at least with these speakers I can place them on my TV Stand

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Return them. These probably can be categorized into the "cube" category. I also suspect that the specs are overstated as far as extension. I recently replaced B25 rears with the B1s, and my Audyssey XT calibration found the roll-off to be at 90hz, even if PSB states 65hz.

The only real reason I used these is to have the convenient keyhole mounting with lighter weight from the ceiling.

Otherwise, what I basically say every darn time I see a PSB Alpha thread is to avoid them in favor of the Image line. You can get a new pair of Image bookshelves for $259 from either Saturday Audio or DMC Electronics, for example.

I don't know how large of a sum $60 is to you, but it's most definitely worth it in this scenario. Back in the days when these lines were relatively new, the price point difference was much, much more pronounced.

Otherwise, if you are patient, you can every once in a while land a pair of the larger Alphas, the B1s, for about $100 on the classifieds. But, again, the Image upgrade is very well worth it if you are sticking with PSB. It's not even in the same ballpark. I've heard them side by side off the same electronics. If I was blindfolded, I'd probably end up being shocked to find out they were even built by the same manufacturer. JMO and guess.

H

Hanif

Audioholic Intern
I'm in Canada and rather buy locally

I live in Ontario

H

Hanif

Audioholic Intern
I might return these for the Alpha B1s or should I save up for energy rc10s

H

Hanif

Audioholic Intern
OK right now this fits my budget and bedroom size...
so I am keeping them
maybe later I will use them as rears

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
The temptation was too great, wasn't it? Those boxes sitting so close with new speakers inside... :D

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
I might return these for the Alpha B1s or should I save up for energy rc10s
The PSB Alpha B1 speakers are perfectly adequate for your bedroom, they are great speakers, and at $200 cdn for the pair, it is a good value. Keep them. :)

Cheers,

Bob

Note: I live most of my life in Canada, so I know. ;)

H

Hanif

Audioholic Intern
The sound is great! I am going to save up for the center channel

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
The sound is great! I am going to save up for the center channel
Excellent! I'm very glad that you like them. That's all that matters, after all. I'm happy that you decided to take the chance and open those boxes.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Return them. These probably can be categorized into the "cube" category. I also suspect that the specs are overstated as far as extension. I recently replaced B25 rears with the B1s, and my Audyssey XT calibration found the roll-off to be at 90hz, even if PSB states 65hz.

The only real reason I used these is to have the convenient keyhole mounting with lighter weight from the ceiling.

Otherwise, what I basically say every darn time I see a PSB Alpha thread is to avoid them in favor of the Image line. You can get a new pair of Image bookshelves for $259 from either Saturday Audio or DMC Electronics, for example.

I don't know how large of a sum $60 is to you, but it's most definitely worth it in this scenario. Back in the days when these lines were relatively new, the price point difference was much, much more pronounced.

Otherwise, if you are patient, you can every once in a while land a pair of the larger Alphas, the B1s, for about $100 on the classifieds. But, again, the Image upgrade is very well worth it if you are sticking with PSB. It's not even in the same ballpark. I've heard them side by side off the same electronics. If I was blindfolded, I'd probably end up being shocked to find out they were even built by the same manufacturer. JMO and guess.
I agree with you that the Image B15s are a better speaker but I certainly would not place the Alpha B's into the "cube" category. They were rated very highly by Stereophile Magazine. I also wouldn't put a lot of stock in Audessy's setting either as far as PSB's speaker s extension goes. As you know, bass response is also very dependent on the dimensions of a room and the location of the speaker relative to the listening position.

In doing a comparison between the two, the enclosure sizes between the Alpha and the Image series are quite close.

http://www.psbspeakers.com/products/Alpha-Series/Alpha-B1-Monitor
http://www.psbspeakers.com/products/Image-Series/Image-B15-Monitor

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
I agree with you that the Image B15s are a better speaker but I certainly would not place the Alpha B's into the "cube" category. They were rated very highly by Stereophile Magazine. I also wouldn't put a lot of stock in Audessy's setting either as far as PSB's speaker s extension goes. As you know, bass response is also very dependent on the dimensions of a room and the location of the speaker relative to the listening position.

In doing a comparison between the two, the enclosure sizes between the Alpha and the Image series are quite close.

http://www.psbspeakers.com/products/Alpha-Series/Alpha-B1-Monitor
http://www.psbspeakers.com/products/Image-Series/Image-B15-Monitor
Hey 3db. Please note the OP bought the LR1s, and not the B1s. I shared my experiences with the B1 only to highlight my suspicion of overrated extension. Here is the page for the LR1. I never said that the B1 could probably be considered as a cube; I was referring to the LR1. Note the 3.5" driver, and stated 100hz rolloff.

http://www.psbspeakers.com/products/Alpha-Series/Alpha-LR1-Monitor

As for Audyssey's inaccuracy due to room interaction, I should let you know that I have bought no less than 11 PSB speakers in just the last two years, having setup HTs in no less than 3 rooms during that time. In my PSB theater's current dedicated room, I have literally hundreds of pounds of fiberglass and mineral wool treatments, and that's not including the more "home-friendly" treatments.

Also consider that XT, in my configuration, runs no less than 160 sweeps over 8 positions for the 2 Alphas I own.

Tangential arguments aside, my only real point I offered, and I've done so consistently and innumerably, is to always choose the Image line for the dollar, as long as you have access to US prices.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Hey 3db. Please note the OP bought the LR1s, and not the B1s. I shared my experiences with the B1 only to highlight my suspicion of overrated extension. Here is the page for the LR1. I never said that the B1 could probably be considered as a cube; I was referring to the LR1. Note the 3.5" driver, and stated 100hz rolloff.

http://www.psbspeakers.com/products/Alpha-Series/Alpha-LR1-Monitor

As for Audyssey's inaccuracy due to room interaction, I should let you know that I have bought no less than 11 PSB speakers in just the last two years, having setup HTs in no less than 3 rooms during that time. In my PSB theater's current dedicated room, I have literally hundreds of pounds of fiberglass and mineral wool treatments, and that's not including the more "home-friendly" treatments.

Also consider that XT, in my configuration, runs no less than 160 sweeps over 8 positions for the 2 Alphas I own.

Tangential arguments aside, my only real point I offered, and I've done so consistently and innumerably, is to always choose the Image line for the dollar, as long as you have access to US prices.
Sorry Josten, I can't understand why I read the B1 instead of LR1. Me bad. :eek: Unfortunaltey for us Canucks, we're getting the proverbial bone from a price perspective by all countries including Canada.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Sorry Josten, I can't understand why I read the B1 instead of LR1. Me bad. :eek: Unfortunaltey for us Canucks, we're getting the proverbial bone from a price perspective by all countries including Canada.
No worries. Yeah, I've stated before, most likely to you as well, that it doesn't seem right that you Canucks do not enjoy better pricing, with the greater value of government sponsored NRC research, when it was with your dollars that funded the institution to begin with.

anamorphic96

anamorphic96

Audioholic General
Well he has one of the best budget subs on the market so if he sets things up correctly he should get some pretty respectable sound.

To the OP use a crossover point between 100 and 120hz and you should be golden. You might want to get yourself an SPL meter from Radio Shack or some other local merchant so you can balance things out correctly.

Enjoy. The PSB's are a real nice speaker.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis