How are Cinemas supposed to stay in business when they don't even provide a high quality experience?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
That's a theater issue. If I go to a theater and the PQ or SQ aren't good, I will tell them and I won't go back. Fortunately, we have some good theaters in the area. Only one Dolby Cinema screen so far, but that's the one I go see the big movies on...like Solo tomorrow :) Though it is $20 per ticket.
Ironically, there were issues with the speakers at the theater when I went to see Solo. It was very specific and seemed to be a driver issue (sounded like a damaged voice coil on one or more speakers). I mentioned it to the management that if I am paying a premium to see a film in the Dolby Cinema theater, I expect things to be working properly. They mentioned they were aware of the issue and they ended up giving us free passes.

Darenwh

Darenwh

Audioholic
I suspect the OP was at Stone Crest Mall in Lithonia, GA. Don't go back there. Over all, nearly everything you want to go to that part of town for will be worth the extra drive (and it's a long one) to another mall such as Mall of Georgia or Perimeter Mall. Stone Crest did not start out all that great when I moved to GA 8 years ago and it has gone down hill quite a bit. Really, being from the Midwest, having lived in several states out West, in the North East, and overseas, Georgia ranks at the bottom of the barrel for good service, cleanliness, taking care of the retail locations, etc... This place just does not have a strong work ethic and the majority of the people have little self respect or respect for others. Even Mall of Georgia and other premium mall areas in this state really don't stand up very well to other places I have been. Still trying to escape this place but with 18 years in my company it's hard to just leave it all behind. Very, Very tempted to let it go to get out of this state...

FYI, I live in Covington and will never go to Stone Crest area for anything. I am happy to drive the extra distance to get to a better class of service even if that class does not live up to my expectations. Yes, I drive right past Stone Crest (only about 8 miles from my house) nearly every time I go to those other locations that are 20+ miles from my house...

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
I've had very good customer service in some of the shops such as Zales, the stone had fallen out of my wife's engagement ring and I took it up there to get it repaired, apparently I'd forgotten to get a warranty on it at the time of purchase (they always have a lifetime warranty on diamonds but she wanted saffires instead for ethical reasons). Rather than charge me the cost of the repair, she pulled some strings and allowed me to purchase the warranty way past the cut off date. Prior to the movie I had dinner at the Olive Garden near the mall and received excellent service from the wait staff. Even dumped what looked like a whole box of Andes mints at our table post meal (which made my chocoholic wife very happy).

The selection at some of the stores is lacking however, including the zales, but I wouldn't paint customer service quality with such a broad brush. I don't mind driving further, but I am generally very busy and short on time so I didn't have a choice but to go to Stonecrest or the north Dekalb AMC.

What part of the Midwest are you from? I grew up in Indiana and spent a year near Nashville for a job. I do agree lots of things in Georgia suck, I could probably make an entire separate thread describing the things I dislike about it.

I suspect the OP was at Stone Crest Mall in Lithonia, GA. Don't go back there. Over all, nearly everything you want to go to that part of town for will be worth the extra drive (and it's a long one) to another mall such as Mall of Georgia or Perimeter Mall. Stone Crest did not start out all that great when I moved to GA 8 years ago and it has gone down hill quite a bit. Really, being from the Midwest, having lived in several states out West, in the North East, and overseas, Georgia ranks at the bottom of the barrel for good service, cleanliness, taking care of the retail locations, etc... This place just does not have a strong work ethic and the majority of the people have little self respect or respect for others. Even Mall of Georgia and other premium mall areas in this state really don't stand up very well to other places I have been. Still trying to escape this place but with 18 years in my company it's hard to just leave it all behind. Very, Very tempted to let it go to get out of this state...

FYI, I live in Covington and will never go to Stone Crest area for anything. I am happy to drive the extra distance to get to a better class of service even if that class does not live up to my expectations. Yes, I drive right past Stone Crest (only about 8 miles from my house) nearly every time I go to those other locations that are 20+ miles from my house...
Sent from my LM-X210(G) using Tapatalk

Darenwh

Darenwh

Audioholic
I've had very good customer service in some of the shops such as Zales, the stone had fallen out of my wife's engagement ring and I took it up there to get it repaired, apparently I'd forgotten to get a warranty on it at the time of purchase (they always have a lifetime warranty on diamonds but she wanted saffires instead for ethical reasons). Rather than charge me the cost of the repair, she pulled some strings and allowed me to purchase the warranty way past the cut off date. Prior to the movie I had dinner at the Olive Garden near the mall and received excellent service from the wait staff. Even dumped what looked like a whole box of Andes mints at our table post meal (which made my chocoholic wife very happy).

The selection at some of the stores is lacking however, including the zales, but I wouldn't paint customer service quality with such a broad brush. I don't mind driving further, but I am generally very busy and short on time so I didn't have a choice but to go to Stonecrest or the north Dekalb AMC.

What part of the Midwest are you from? I grew up in Indiana and spent a year near Nashville for a job. I do agree lots of things in Georgia suck, I could probably make an entire separate thread describing the things I dislike about it.

Originally from Columbus, OH. It got too crowded for me so moved to Wisconsin (Milwaukee area) which I loved and hope to move back to soon, though I will likely be closer to the middle or northern part of the state. Wisconsin has better food at restaurants (especially non-chain) and they are less expensive. The Midwest in general has far better drivers... (How can these people not even know how to use a four way stop?). Better outdoors areas (Lakes, Rivers, Parks, etc...) and museums for less money. Also, much cleaner with far less garbage just thrown in the roads... (Ever notice how you can tell you reached the border of Georgia by the change in the amount of garbage on the side of the road?) I've been here 9 years and still have not found a reason to like this state.

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
It's cheap? But so is the Midwest lol.
Originally from Columbus, OH. It got too crowded for me so moved to Wisconsin (Milwaukee area) which I loved and hope to move back to soon, though I will likely be closer to the middle or northern part of the state. Wisconsin has better food at restaurants (especially non-chain) and they are less expensive. The Midwest in general has far better drivers... (How can these people not even know how to use a four way stop?). Better outdoors areas (Lakes, Rivers, Parks, etc...) and museums for less money. Also, much cleaner with far less garbage just thrown in the roads... (Ever notice how you can tell you reached the border of Georgia by the change in the amount of garbage on the side of the road?) I've been here 9 years and still have not found a reason to like this state.

H

Hobbit

Senior Audioholic
I went and saw Infinity War in IMAX at a local Regal theater. It was great experience. The picture, sound, and even comfort were great.

I do think tickets prices are highway robbery. I never get concession, mostly because they don't have much I like.

But I enjoy the experience of some movies on the big screens.

hemiram

hemiram

Full Audioholic
I avoid the consession stand for a couple of reasons:

1. I think the popcorn blows. Awful, and awfully expensive.
2. At my age, drinking something is an almost sure bet to be squirming by the end of the movie.

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
Yeah, I've been meaning to check out an Atmos film at the Dolby cinema at Regal but it's about a 40 minute drive from me, plus Atlanta traffic is hell. Do you know if Dolby Cinemas are check and held to rigous standards/calibration like THX and IMAX? I think the biggest problem is lots of "regular" Cinemas fail to keep on top of their systems. This is especially an issue with older Cinemas.

One other thing I've noticed when watching movies at a cinema vs at home is how big of a difference Atmos makes. Even with non Atmos tracks using DSU, that "bubble" of sound you get with the overhead speakers just sounds so much more realistic, and even with large surround arrays found in theaters, it just doesn't compare to having real overhead speakers.

Dolby Cinemas have overhead speakers and surrounds. The Dolby Cinema where I live has high quality speakers. However, its extremely loud, the bass shakes the theater.

Some of Dolby Atmos speakers placements doesn't make sense to me. Sounds do move around, however some of the sound placement doesn't make sense and is gimmicky. For example, you can't place a telephone ringing above you. Or why would the sound of a helicopter move from right surround, back, to left surround, that to me is odd sound placement and kind of gimmicky. No doubt it will dazzle you and show you what object audio is capable, however the sound mix can become of the star of show and not the movie itself. Sound mixers have to be careful with those mixes because sounds can easily take you out of movie as opposed to adding realism to it.

In the home speaker placement is even more challenging. Why have all those ceiling speakers that Dolby Atmos calls for if you don't have seat in those areas. Most home theaters, unless they are dedicated theater rooms, will not have multiple rows of seats like in the commercial theaters. In ceiling speakers must be a huge compromise, they must be wrought with imaging problems, with sound just firing straight down.

I have always contended that Dolby Atmos is not really a mass market technology, even though it's marketed as such. Dolby Atmos hardware and software are niche products. Its very expensive too!

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
Not really. A large amount of new content is mixed in Atmos, and I have a 5.1.2 system at home. Definitely a major improvement to traditional 5.1/7.1, and I wouldn't ever go back. Certainly not a gimmick. I have regular bookshelves mounted to my ceiling, and they keep up just fine with my bed channels.
Dolby Cinemas have overhead speakers and surrounds. The Dolby Cinema where I live has high quality speakers. However, its extremely loud, the bass shakes the theater.

Some of Dolby Atmos speakers placements doesn't make sense to me. Sounds do move around, however some of the sound placement doesn't make sense and is gimmicky. For example, you can't place a telephone ringing above you. Or why would the sound of a helicopter move from right surround, back, to left surround, that to me is odd sound placement and kind of gimmicky. No doubt it will dazzle you and show you what object audio is capable, however the sound mix can become of the star of show and not the movie itself. Sound mixers have to be careful with those mixes because sounds can easily take you out of movie as opposed to adding realism to it.

In the home speaker placement is even more challenging. Why have all those ceiling speakers that Dolby Atmos calls for if you don't have seat in those areas. Most home theaters, unless they are dedicated theater rooms, will not have multiple rows of seats like in the commercial theaters. In ceiling speakers must be a huge compromise, they must be wrought with imaging problems, with sound just firing straight down.

I have always contended that Dolby Atmos is not really a mass market technology, even though it's marketed as such. Dolby Atmos hardware and software are niche products. Its very expensive too!

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
I see maybe a movie or two a year at my local AMC. I just can not afford it, or the expense of drinks and popcorn, especially if I'm paying for my whole family.
I can't believe this. How much is a ticket, if you don't mind me asking?

Anyway, I always though that cinemas make money on overpriced pop-corns and beverages (and being first to show a film). As I said many times before, I'm not a "all about immersion" kinda guy, I go to movies for different reasons. I will avoid 3D, 4D, Extreme and such theaters. In my city you still have a lot of different cinemas. Open air (sometimes even free admission), typical, center of the city old cinemas, small art cinemas, museum cinemas...

Number one reason to visit the cinema for me is to see something you'll have a hard time seeing otherwise like some European national cinema flick that gets very limited release.

I've noticed here in AH people mostly watch big block busters and, don't get mad, but I think those are little children movies. (Avengers?? The difference between what you guys watch and listen is light years huge. Very strange to me. Like wearing Brioni to McDonalds or having a New Balance shoe on one foot and a plastic bag with marbles and dung on the other). That's the reason I stopped my "movie recommendation" thread.

This is also what makes a difference in how you judge a cinema. Last movie I saw had a 2.1 speaker system set in front of the canvas which was rather small in a less than 40 seats cinema. Boredpanda web site lists this as one of the most beautiful cinema around the world:):) It was a Sicilian Ghost Story by Fabio Grassadonia. Getting this movie in some other form will be a pain.
1529911800137.jpeg
Also, it is a night out. That's why I go to movies even though I have a projector (but no atmos, surround and such...)

BTW, the conditions of reproduction was one of my favourite topics back in my PhD days, so I can recommend a book if it interests the OP:
1529912521420.jpeg
It is not about how to set it up and it is mainly theoretical, which, I know by now, translates to drivel for the most of you. It is about several different aspects of the phenomena of affordable home-cinema and its repercussions.

Last edited:
S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall

Anyway, I always though that cinemas make money on overpriced pop-corns and beverages (and being first to show a film). As I said many times before, I'm not a "all about immersion" kinda guy, I go to movies for different reasons. I will avoid 3D, 4D, Extreme and such theaters. In my city you still have a lot of different cinemas. Open air (sometimes even free admission),typical, center of the city old cinemas, small art cinemas, museum cinemas...

Number one reason to visit the cinema for me is to see something you'll have a hard time seeing otherwise like some European national cinema flick that gets very limited release.

I've noticed here in AH people mostly watch big block busters and, don't get mad, but I think those are little children movies. (Avengers?? The difference between what you guys watch and listen is light years huge. Very strange to me. Like wearing Brioni to McDonalds or having a New Balance shoe on one foot and a plastic bag with marbles and dung on the other). That's the reason I stopped my "movie recommendation" thread.

This is also what makes a difference in how you judge a cinema. Last movie I saw had a 2.1 speaker system set in front of the canvas which was rather small in a less than 40 seats cinema. Boredpanda web site lists this as one of the most beautiful cinema around the world:):) It was a Sicilian Ghost Story by Fabio Grassadonia. Getting this movie in some other form will be a pain.
View attachment 24702
Also, it is a night out. That's why I go to movies even though I have a projector (but no atmos, surround and such...)

BTW, the conditions of reproduction was one of my favourite topics back in my PhD days, so I can recommend a book if it interests the OP:
View attachment 24703
It is not about how to set it up and it is mainly theoretical, which, I know by now, translates to drivel for the most of you. It is about several different aspects of the phenomena of affordable home-cinema and its repercussions.
Average ticket price today is $10.00, so, taking my wife, son, and daughter-in-law to the cinema and purchasing drinks and popcorn for all, it's a $70.00 expense. Now, add 2 granddaughters, another son, and his girlfriend and I'm out about $140.00. On essentially a fixed income that sort of expenditure represents my entire monthly discretionary budget if I wanted to balance my budget without any savings for the month. A better solution is just to buy the movie for about $20 and then trade it later at the half price book store. At any rate, today I look for cost free entertainment where I can find it. Living in Louisville, KY, a convention city, there's lots of free entertainment, music concerts galore.

Last edited:
killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
Average ticket price today is $10.00, so, taking my wife, son, and daughter-in-law to the cinema and purchasing drinks and popcorn for all, it's a $70.00 expense. Now, add 2 granddaughters, another son, and his girlfriend and I'm out about $140.00. On essentially a fixed income that sort of expenditure represents my entire monthly discretionary budget if I wanted to balance my budget without any savings for the month. A better solution is just to buy the movie for about $20 and then trade it later at the half price book store. At any rate, today I look for cost free entertainment where I can find it. Living in Louisville, KY, a convention city, there's lots of free entertainment, music concerts galore.
It's never that expensive here. If you don't mind going on Tuesday, it's 2,5$ a pop and that's a multiplex. The most expensive ticket is Gold Class and that's with your own recliner and some food and drinks included. You should all come spend your retirement here and help our economy.;)

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
$10 would be good. Average price around here is $12-14 for the bigger theaters (non matinee) and $20 for the special screens. That's $50 for TWO of us before I've even set foot in the building if I preorder to get seat selection.

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
Not really. A large amount of new content is mixed in Atmos, and I have a 5.1.2 system at home. Definitely a major improvement to traditional 5.1/7.1, and I wouldn't ever go back. Certainly not a gimmick. I have regular bookshelves mounted to my ceiling, and they keep up just fine with my bed channels.

I'm not saying Atmos in itself is a gimmick, however a sound mixer could misuse the object audio palette, which in my opinion, could make it seem gimmicky. BTW, it could be done (gimmick) with 5.1 and 7.1 discrete mixes as well, that was kind of happening with some of the early surround music mixes.

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General

Anyway, I always though that cinemas make money on overpriced pop-corns and beverages (and being first to show a film). As I said many times before, I'm not a "all about immersion" kinda guy, I go to movies for different reasons. I will avoid 3D, 4D, Extreme and such theaters. In my city you still have a lot of different cinemas. Open air (sometimes even free admission), typical, center of the city old cinemas, small art cinemas, museum cinemas...

View attachment 24702

View attachment 24703
It doesn't sound like you're having a lot of fun at the movies. :)

W

Winkleswizard

Audioholic
Both the Regal and Cinemark closest to me have reserved reclining seats. And except for being loud when we had more forward seating for The Last Jedi, the sound has been quite good.

Still I make better, cheaper, healthier popcorn at home and, hard to beat the convenience too! Except for the socialization aspect, it does look like a dying industry. The next big tech change is VR. Once movies go there, suspect the interest in going to the theater will likely plummet as I can choose whether I have a more private or group experience.

Should add something about this to KEW’s “old fart” thread :D...

Ww

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
:D
Funny you should say that. No, I do have fun. I just avoid blockbusters and I'm fine.
Do you have a Dolby Cinema in your area? If so, just one day checkout one of those lame blockbusters just for the experience.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Do you have a Dolby Cinema in your area? If so, just one day checkout one of those lame blockbusters just for the experience.
Dobly Cinema is the one that is $20 a ticket and after seeing a few big movies in it, I don't mind paying it for those kinds of "should see in the theater" kind of blockbusters.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
Thank you for the effort. I do have an IMAX with all the top notch stuff. The latest. Here, check. I remember my GF falling asleep during Avatar. :D:D:D I fell in love with her all over again.

Right now, as I write this, the little angel is telling me; "don't say what you think, be polite, take it down a notch..." And the little devil is telling me; "let it rip, who cares..."

It really doesn't impress me. My feeling is that it's getting in the way of the movie. For me, it's all just gimmicks. Nothing of value.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis