Home Theater Magazine is dead

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
My thing with the whole "cloud storage" thing is if something someday happened to the company you "bought" a book from you would never be able to recover it. You don't technically "own" the book, you bought the right to view it. I get that amazon may never go away, but anything is possible. Unless my house burns down I'll have my hard copy books. Thieves don't normally steal books. :)

psbfan9

psbfan9

Audioholic Samurai
My wife has a Nook and loves it. Me, not so much. Here are some of my favorite quotes about books;

“If you go home with somebody, and they don't have books, don't f@(k 'em! Don’t sleep with people who don’t read!”

“Not wanting anyone to pop my bubble by speaking to me, I immediately began reading Lesbian Nuns, and that did the trick. No one attempted small talk.”

“You have to remember that it is impossible to commit a crime while reading a book.”

Last edited by a moderator:
Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
My thing with the whole "cloud storage" thing is if something someday happened to the company you "bought" a book from you would never be able to recover it. You don't technically "own" the book, you bought the right to view it. I get that amazon may never go away, but anything is possible. Unless my house burns down I'll have my hard copy books. Thieves don't normally steal books. :)
I am sure you can find extreme circumstances for every situation. As for the book, once its downloaded on a device, you have it on that device. You can back it up just like a normal data file if you are concerned. You don't need to be attached to the internet to read the book, its just its form of digital distrubiton. In the same respect if someone took your book and didn't return it, you would have to buy a new book, not a problem in the digital world as you could just download it again.

I would think that your house has a better chance of burning down than Amazon going away :p The odds of either happening are slim to none, and I am sure the publishers would take responsibility since they are being compensated for the ebook as well.

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
I am sure you can find extreme circumstances for every situation. As for the book, once its downloaded on a device, you have it on that device. You can back it up just like a normal data file if you are concerned. You don't need to be attached to the internet to read the book, its just its form of digital distrubiton. In the same respect if someone took your book and didn't return it, you would have to buy a new book, not a problem in the digital world as you could just download it again.

I would think that your house has a better chance of burning down than Amazon going away :p The odds of either happening are slim to none, and I am sure the publishers would take responsibility since they are being compensated for the ebook as well.

It doesn't work for me personally... not to say it won't for others.

First off, I have to pay for a device, then pay again for the book. A book I don't really own, I just have the right to read it, and not resell or lend it. Quasi lend....OK sure.

I like to read when on a plane. i.e. Lite stuff by Randy Wayne White, I find used for cheap. $0.50 - $2.99
I just looked on Amazon and Ebooks and the cheapest they have is $5.99 and up and they only have around five or six books, out of the 30+ he has written.

The Cloud - What was once old is new again. :)
I remember the days of, "Hey is the server down again?"... "S**t, I was just about to save too."
Now we can sound all trendy and ask, "Is the cloud is down?" and complain about how slow file recovery is.:confused::D

So far for me..... it's just an electronic device to help separate people from their money.:D

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
What would you rather have with you when you find out your public restroom is out of toilet paper? A Kindle or a magazine?

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah, this whole concept of efficient electronic data delivery...odd. TVs? Huh? Sure, they are smaller than hiring a troop of performers, but I just don't get it. And radio? No thank you. I mean, I don't own those songs, and they come over this electronic device. Maybe some people like it, but I think having the band in my car is a lot more convenient. Especially the older bands that I can buy relatively cheap on eBay.

:D

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
What would you rather have with you when you find out your public restroom is out of toilet paper? A Kindle or a magazine?
Spoken like a man who's had one too many bad McMuffins. :p

Besides, isn't that what the senator in the next stall over is for?

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Spoken like a man who's had one too many bad McMuffins. :p

Besides, isn't that what the senator in the next stall over is for?
From the way things seem to be going, they would just continue using the Constitution, but I digress.

G

Goliath

Full Audioholic
I just got an issue of S&V Magazine in the mail. I was a little confused because I don't even subscribe to S&V. :eek: I subscribe to HTM.

Well, it appears the 2 magazines have "joined forces" - so the editor said. :rolleyes:

I glanced at the review of the $2K Marantz 7008 AVR. They showed the usual 2CH 8 ohms/4 ohms & 5CH/7CH 8 ohms power output. But then said "FR, THD, Crosstalk, & SNR were all within usual limits"! :eek:

Translation: they didn't even measure them at all. :mad:

The speaker measurements appeared to look the same...probably less. I was already pissed off at this time so I didn't look closely. :D

Is this the beginning of the end for paper magazines?

Next thing you know, S&V, HTM, & Stereophile will also "join forces" and screw all the measurements to hell. :eek:
I checked their online site and at least online they haven't published any review on the 7008. Could you please tell me what the measurements show for the power into 2 channels and 5? Thanks!

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
Yeah, this whole concept of efficient electronic data delivery...odd. TVs? Huh? Sure, they are smaller than hiring a troop of performers, but I just don't get it. And radio? No thank you. I mean, I don't own those songs, and they come over this electronic device. Maybe some people like it, but I think having the band in my car is a lot more convenient. Especially the older bands that I can buy relatively cheap on eBay.

:D
I thought we were talking E-books?:confused:
TV's it is.
I'm still pi$$ed about TV.
Every time I'd try to kiss Jaclyn Smith from Charles Angels I'd bump my head on the screen.:D

As for efficient data delivery.
My wife has been self employed for about 25 years. She went all 21st century and tried Carbonite.
I read the fine print after she complained how slow it was. After the 35 Gig mark upload speeds are throttled down considerably, from 2MB/sec to 512Kbps. There is another storage threshold where it is slowed to near dial up speed.
Data access isn't always guaranteed.
After the third day of still uploading, I told her I'd go get us an external drive and have it done in a day.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I thought we were talking E-books?:confused:
Well, we were talking about a merger, then electronic media. Things change. :p

To me, it's the same principle, but we can make it closer by talking about streaming shows and songs. Some people want to own multiple objects that each individually serves a single purpose (even if they'll never use it again and have to store it for years), while others are content with only carrying around one object that can replicate all of those individual objects. I used to read a lot and collect books. I still have them all, yet I'll almost surely never open them again. If I were to start reading again, I'd probably go with a combination of an e-reader and physical books. The e-reader would serve most purposes, but sometimes I might not be able to find something or just wouldn't want to risk the electronic device. They aren't mutually exclusive. :)

I'm still pi$$ed about TV.
Every time I'd try to kiss Jaclyn Smith from Charles Angels I'd bump my head on the screen.:D
Better than getting slapped. Okay, maybe not. :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I checked their online site and at least online they haven't published any review on the 7008. Could you please tell me what the measurements show for the power into 2 channels and 5? Thanks!
I'll have to look at home. But it measures like a $1200 Denon. :D Something like 143 WPC x 2Ch 8 ohms, 225 WPC x 2Ch 4 ohms, 103 WPC x 5Ch 8 ohms.

G

Goliath

Full Audioholic
I'll have to look at home. But it measures like a $1200 Denon. :D Something like 143 WPC x 2Ch 8 ohms, 225 WPC x 2Ch 4 ohms, 103 WPC x 5Ch 8 ohms.
That's disappointing. Please double check and let me know. Even a $500 Sony receiver can muster 122 watts into an 8 ohm load into 2 channels and 76 watts into 5 channels. That doesn't sound all too impressive for such a pricey receiver.

I was thinking of getting either this or the X4000 specifically because of the XT32, but if Denon and Marantz are part of the same group then I would assume the Denon X4000 competes inline with the 7008, so I wouldn't expect a change in power output.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai

First off, I have to pay for a device, then pay again for the book. A book I don't really own, I just have the right to read it, and not resell or lend it. Quasi lend....OK sure.

I like to read when on a plane. i.e. Lite stuff by Randy Wayne White, I find used for cheap. $0.50 - $2.99
I just looked on Amazon and Ebooks and the cheapest they have is $5.99 and up and they only have around five or six books, out of the 30+ he has written.

The Cloud - What was once old is new again. :)
I remember the days of, "Hey is the server down again?"... "S**t, I was just about to save too."
Now we can sound all trendy and ask, "Is the cloud is down?" and complain about how slow file recovery is.:confused::D

So far for me..... it's just an electronic device to help separate people from their money.:D
1. You don't have to buy a device, because you probably already have one that will work with it
Don't you already have a tablet or cell phone, both can use the Amazon Kindle App. I use my Ipad more than my kindle?

2. Ok you win the Randy Wayne White Debate LOL, how about the millions of other books out there. :eek: I read the whole hunter games trilogy for like $3.00 when they had a promo. But to address your point, IN GENERAL, books are less expensive than their paper counterpart. Unlike the paper counterpart I always have my cell phone on me, in case I don't have my ipad or laptop with me, you forget your book, your SOL

3. When the cloud actually crashes in the 4+ years I have reading books via kindle, I will agree with you. But my books are already saved to my device, the only time I access the cloud is to transfer them to my new device or order new books.

Just Sayin...:p

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
That's disappointing. Please double check and let me know. Even a $500 Sony receiver can muster 122 watts into an 8 ohm load into 2 channels and 76 watts into 5 channels. That doesn't sound all too impressive for such a pricey receiver.

I was thinking of getting either this or the X4000 specifically because of the XT32, but if Denon and Marantz are part of the same group then I would assume the Denon X4000 competes inline with the 7008, so I wouldn't expect a change in power output.
I'll check. It's no secret that Marantz & Denon measure the same when rated the same. That's why I buy Denon. Better bang for buck. :D

G

Goliath

Full Audioholic
I'll check. It's no secret that Marantz & Denon measure the same when rated the same. That's why I buy Denon. Better bang for buck.
Thanks. The only reason I even considered the Marantz was because of the look. :D Not because I think there is any inherent sound quality difference. Although the aesthetics may play a part in perceived improvement in sound quality over the Denon, so I suppose I shouldn't complain if I do get a free boost. ; - )

I saw on HTM the Onkyo NR828 scored well in the measurements and that's a mid-range receiver. I assume it's right up there with the X4000 and Marantz 7008. The NR929 competes against the Denon feature-wise and I have a feeling it can deliver more power. But then again, an extra few watts here and there is like spitting into the wind.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Okay, here are the power outputs for the SR7008:

2Ch 8 ohm: 148W
2Ch 4 ohm: 216.8W
5Ch 8 ohm: 111.5W
7Ch 8 ohm: 82.2W

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Well, we were talking about a merger, then electronic media. Things change. :p

To me, it's the same principle, but we can make it closer by talking about streaming shows and songs. Some people want to own multiple objects that each individually serves a single purpose (even if they'll never use it again and have to store it for years), while others are content with only carrying around one object that can replicate all of those individual objects. I used to read a lot and collect books. I still have them all, yet I'll almost surely never open them again. If I were to start reading again, I'd probably go with a combination of an e-reader and physical books. The e-reader would serve most purposes, but sometimes I might not be able to find something or just wouldn't want to risk the electronic device. They aren't mutually exclusive. :)

Better than getting slapped. Okay, maybe not. :D
Good point. I just deleted a bunch of archived TV shows for the very reasons you state. I'm just weird with the ebook thing. Everything else I'm ok with. Well, I do have blu-rays for the quality. If I got the same quality with streaming (Vudu is close, but expensive) I'd go that route. Reading things on a screen sometimes hurts my eyes. I stare at a computer 10 hrs a day at work as it is.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
Give me a good book or mag ( real ) any old day.. A person looks pretty stupid setting on the throne holding a ipad.:D, it's about as dumb as a person in a stall taking a # whatever talking on a cell phone...

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis