Home Theater Installation Charge?

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
JPW said:
I’ve been asked to install a home theater in the home of one of my parent’s friends. The home owners are only acquaintances to me, and have agreed to pay me for my time.

So how much should I charge them an hour, what is a fair rate? I realize I’m not a professional installer, but I have run wire and hooked up 7 home theaters. Obviously I don’t want to overcharge them, as I’d like them to refer me to others. Part of this job includes making equipment recommendations, purchasing all the wire & incidentals, and programming a universal remote control. I don’t want to charge a flat rate as I know I will have to continually educate them on how the system works, and correct any snafu’s they cause.

Your advice and suggestions are appreciated.
How about $250 up front; $50 per hour for every hour thereafter, billed in 15/30 minute increments, plus materials, and not to exceed $500/$750/$1000 etc... Only you can guess how long this job will take, and seeing how they've already called you multiple times, should be willing to pay a small up front fee.

My contract for subcontractors reads very similar... "$250 for the first hour, $59 for each additional man hour, plus materials. XX day warranty - warranty work done at the above rate over xx days.

Forget referrals. People appreciate it more when they pay and feel they've received good service in the end. There's no such thing as a free lunch. Your parents friends will feel they always owe something to your folks if you do it for free. That's not good business.

Last edited:
D

df4801

Banned
The best rate I could find was $400 for the initial recommendations and "engineering" or plan layout of the system, then $85/ hr for install.
Some places wanted $125/hr or ($175/hr for a 2 man team).

I would tell them that this is what the going rate is, then tell them you will do it for 1/2 of that.

You should let them know what it costs and that you are giving them a discount.

Dan

Dan

Audioholic Chief
Why don't you look at it another way, since you are devoting significant time to this. I assume at age 40 you have a regular full time job. What are you paid an hour there? If you have a demanding job, your free time is valuable to you and worth getting paid what you would if you put in extra hours at your real job. This logic might fail if there is a great discrepancy in your career and this side light... for instance if you were a neurosurgeon.

xboxweasel

xboxweasel

Full Audioholic
I am a licensed electrician. I hate doing stuff on the side for other people. My time after working hours is precious (regardless if I waste it sitting at my computer) and I'd like to think worth a lot.

But when people want my "services" and I say $20 under the table they get all worked up about it. Naturally, I'd like more. I'm not a charitable organization. I need shoes too. The last job I did, took me 3 days to complete (weekend hours) and all I got was $300 for it. I busted my back for them, and every time I turned around there was _MORE_ for me to do. And when I was done they were all upset at the cost. To hell with them if they don't like my meager rate. Let them find someone else that will do it for less.

If you have the tools and skills to do what these people want them charge them accordingly. Provide your rate up front, not after you are done the work. Maybe see if you can get paid in installments. Before, during, and after the job is done. Maybe 25%/25%/50% of estimated about. And don't do too many favors. Word gets out and everyone wants a favor.

PS: if you get the job and it's good pay do you need assistance? :D

J

JPW

Junior Audioholic
Update: I emailed them and quoted the rates from a few local installers I spoke with. Then I told them my rate was $40 an hour + materials. That's a fair rate considering all the factors. As I haven't heard back from them yet, I'll keep you posted on their response.

C

corey

Senior Audioholic
JPW - It sounds like it's too late for my advice, but this could apply to future situations too:

Give them some free time, up front. Give them a place or two to shop & some idea of what to buy. The amount of time you spend on this depends on your relationship - good friends of your parents should get a few hours, friends of your friend's friend should get a few minutes.

After giving them some of your time, explain that you'll be happy to continue to help them for free, in your spare time. Spare time is what comes after family, work, recreation; let them know when you think you might have some. If they would prefer not to wait until then, they can pay your rate.

I do the above for computer stuff, which I earn my living at, & it works for me. YMMV

A seperate issue, especially with family/friends and HT. Make sure they get stuff they can use. I sold my sister-in-law & her husband some of my old stuff; TV, Receiver & DVD Player - and set it all up for them. This was the setup that my wife & 5 year old had no trouble using correctly. To this date all they can do is watch cable & listen to sound from the TV; anything else, like playing a dvd or listening to audio thru the receiver, requires a call to me.

highfihoney

highfihoney

Audioholic Samurai
if they are friends of your family stay away from installing anything,maybe help them pick the gear out but other than that no sale.

the problem with doing any type of work (paid or otherwise) for friends of your family is that it has a chance to come back & cause problems with friendships,not worth a few bucks.

highfihoney

highfihoney

Audioholic Samurai
corey said:
A seperate issue, especially with family/friends and HT. Make sure they get stuff they can use. I sold my sister-in-law & her husband some of my old stuff; TV, Receiver & DVD Player - and set it all up for them. This was the setup that my wife & 5 year old had no trouble using correctly. To this date all they can do is watch cable & listen to sound from the TV; anything else, like playing a dvd or listening to audio thru the receiver, requires a call to me.
this is exactly what i was talking about,friends of my family got in way over their head & bought a mid level ht rig & never understood how to operate it right from the start,i tried to educate them in a few areas on how to use the system & remote,after months of helping them understand & use their system they lost the remote:rolleyes:

now they bought a programable remote & instead of sitting down & figuring out how to use the new remote.......ring ring.....ring ring........argh !,were stuck........help, so now i inherited the new remote & all its programming, after programmig the remote & showing them how to use it everything was fine for a few days then ring ring.............ring ring........argh! the ht wont work help! every time they use the system they switch the remote into another mode that wont operate the system & once again instead of learning the system i get the call,every time its a simple problem like switching the source on the remote.

i'll bet ive spent 100 hours helping them with their system & no amount of helping them is enough,the last time i helped them i no sooner then got home & the phone was ringing,.....were lost again,how can we switch from cd to dvd!

dont do it man!

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
Harmony remotes, guys. Your grandmother can operate the HT system with one.

J

JPW

Junior Audioholic
jonnythan said:
Harmony remotes, guys. Your grandmother can operate the HT system with one.
I couldn't agree more. Harmony is the only way to go and I've already recommended they buy one.

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
JPW said:
I couldn't agree more. Harmony is the only way to go and I've already recommended they buy one.
Just last night, the cat blocked the signal to the receiver, so when we went from "Watch TV" to "Watch a movie," the receiver didn't switch to the right input. My girlfriend was at a loss, and I just told her "press the help button." Ten seconds and three yes/no questions later, everything was fine. It's crazy. The thing says "Is the Receiver on?" "Is the receiver on the DVD input?" If you select "No," it puts it on the DVD input and asks if that fixed the problem. The thing is crazy cool.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis