Home Theater Installation Charge?

J

JPW

Junior Audioholic
I’ve been asked to install a home theater in the home of one of my parent’s friends. The home owners are only acquaintances to me, and have agreed to pay me for my time.

So how much should I charge them an hour, what is a fair rate? I realize I’m not a professional installer, but I have run wire and hooked up 7 home theaters. Obviously I don’t want to overcharge them, as I’d like them to refer me to others. Part of this job includes making equipment recommendations, purchasing all the wire & incidentals, and programming a universal remote control. I don’t want to charge a flat rate as I know I will have to continually educate them on how the system works, and correct any snafu’s they cause.

Your advice and suggestions are appreciated.

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
7 Home Theaters in one house?

I hope you mean speakers in 7 rooms and not 7 HT's. If they do want 7 HT's then you should probably leave it up to a pro.

If they want 1 HT and speakers in 7 rooms, you can probably get away with a pretty simple configuration with 1 receiver, 1 zone 2 amp, and impedence matching volume controls. When you start getting into multi zone/ multi source distribution amps with touchpads, it gets a little complicated.

You might consider asking a couple local pro's for their hourly rate. It is probably around $50 / hour. I would charge them around $25-30 since you are an amature and it will probably take you longer to complete the job.

mulester7

mulester7

Audioholic Samurai
JPW said:
I’ve been asked to install a home theater in the home of one of my parent’s friends. The home owners are only acquaintances to me, and have agreed to pay me for my time.

So how much should I charge them an hour, what is a fair rate? I realize I’m not a professional installer, but I have run wire and hooked up 7 home theaters. Obviously I don’t want to overcharge them, as I’d like them to refer me to others. Part of this job includes making equipment recommendations, purchasing all the wire & incidentals, and programming a universal remote control. I don’t want to charge a flat rate as I know I will have to continually educate them on how the system works, and correct any snafu’s they cause.

Your advice and suggestions are appreciated.
.....hmmm, sticky situation of sorts with them being good friends to your parents....I'll offer this for whatever it's worth, probably little....you might consider giving them a rough estimate of how many hours might be involved, and ask them what they think would be a fair hourly rate....a little pressure might shift to them at that point, with your parents being their friends, haha....hang on, surely better suggestions will follow this one......

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
jcPanny said:
I hope you mean speakers in 7 rooms and not 7 HT's. If they do want 7 HT's then you should probably leave it up to a pro.
I think he means that he has hooked up 7 different home theaters, presumably for several different people, in total up to this point. This implies that he's no pro, but he generally knows what he's doing.

Personally, I'd charge $25/hour, minimum 1 hour installments for the snafus and so forth. Plus costs of course.

Buckle-meister

Audioholic Field Marshall
mulester7 said:
...surely better suggestions will follow this one...
No doubt. :D

mulester7 said:
...I'll offer this for whatever it's worth, probably little....you might consider giving them a rough estimate of how many hours might be involved, and ask them what they think would be a fair hourly rate...
I've got a better idea that is very close to Mulester7s:

Do the work for free, but hand them a receipt at the end of the job with what it should have cost them. They'll then appreciate what you've done for them (assuming you're good ;)) and recommend you to others because of your generous gesture.

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
mulester7 said:
.....hmmm, sticky situation of sorts with them being good friends to your parents....I'll offer this for whatever it's worth, probably little....you might consider giving them a rough estimate of how many hours might be involved, and ask them what they think would be a fair hourly rate....a little pressure might shift to them at that point, with your parents being their friends, haha....hang on, surely better suggestions will follow this one......
I think that is a pretty good idea. Why would you think it isn't?

And if they want to pay you, JPW, too little for your time, then you can tell them that they should look for someone else. Just remember, though, if you are way off on the time it will take you, that is your fault, not theirs, so there is a risk with mulester7's plan.

mulester7

mulester7

Audioholic Samurai
Pyrrho said:
Just remember, though, if you are way off on the time it will take you, that is your fault, not theirs, so there is a risk with mulester7's plan.
.....good point, Pyrrho, but I was thinking with 7 installs under his belt, his estimate of the hours it should take probably wouldn't be too far off....and I would pad that estimate a bit I think, so when it takes a little less time, the payee should be elated....keep in mind, a universal remote might have them staring at it like a calf staring at a new gate....tell them what you feel are any merits of the thing, and let them decide if they want to tackle it....I've never seen the merit of dropping $200-$300 for one when I'm one punch ahead picking up individual remotes, but if small kids are involved, maybe....JPW, as to the price per hour you charge, here are factors I would look at....even though I'm sure you're very good at installing, you're not a pro and they know that, this is for side-money, probably cash, which ain't never a bad thing to be handed, they're friends of your parents, you hope for referrals but they probably don't know a lot of people wanting a Home theater install to tell, you enjoy working with sound systems, and we're not talking two months of 8 hours a day....it's for sure going to boil down to it being your call, JPW, and if you ask them what would be a fair rate, I doubt they would risk insulting you or ultimately your parents....JPW, I don't know about you, but 12-15 bucks an hour for about 15-20 hours, "cash", (now think trucks hauling cash to Texas for years to come), would buy this country boy a bunch of hamburgers and fries....

Last edited:
mulester7

mulester7

Audioholic Samurai
Buckle-meister said:
I've got a better idea that is very close to Mulester7s:

Do the work for free, but hand them a receipt at the end of the job with what it should have cost them. They'll then appreciate what you've done for them (assuming you're good ;)) and recommend you to others because of your generous gesture.
.....go polish your bagpipes, the boy needs shoes....I should know....upon discovering shoes at age 17, I knew right-off they were a very good thing....

Last edited:

Buckle-meister

Audioholic Field Marshall
mulester7 said:
...go polish your bagpipes...
:eek:

I once seen the following written:

Do it for free, or do it and charge, but do not charge a little. Doing so undervalues not only your own work, but that of every other doing the same job.

I totally believe this. It maybe sad, but it's definitely true; people value what they have to pay for, regardless of whether or not it was worth it.

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
They can obviously afford it. Don't do it for free.

mulester7

mulester7

Audioholic Samurai
Buckle-meister said:
:eek:

I once seen the following written:

Do it for free, or do it and charge, but do not charge a little. Doing so undervalues not only your own work, but that of every other doing the same job.

I totally believe this. It maybe sad, but it's definitely true; people value what they have to pay for, regardless of whether or not it was worth it.
.....words of wisdom, Buckle, it doesn't surprise me a bit they came from you....and, you never know, the people he is about to do an installment for might very well know some people wanting a similar installment.....

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
mulester7 said:
.....good point, Pyrrho, but I was thinking with 7 installs under his belt, his estimate of the hours it should take probably wouldn't be too far off....and I would pad that estimate a bit I think, so when it takes a little less time, the payee should be elated....keep in mind, a universal remote might have them staring at it like a calf staring at a new gate....tell them what you feel are any merits of the thing, and let them decide if they want to tackle it....I've never seen the merit of dropping $200-$300 for one when I'm one punch ahead picking up individual remotes, but if small kids are involved, maybe....JPW, as to the price per hour you charge, here are factors I would look at....even though I'm sure you're very good at installing, you're not a pro and they know that, this is for side-money, probably cash, which ain't never a bad thing to be handed, they're friends of your parents, you hope for referrals but they probably don't know a lot of people wanting a Home theater install to tell, you enjoy working with sound systems, and we're not talking two months of 8 hours a day....it's for sure going to boil down to it being your call, JPW, and if you ask them what would be a fair rate, I doubt they would risk insulting you or ultimately your parents....JPW, I don't know about you, but 12-15 bucks an hour for about 15-20 hours, "cash", (now think trucks hauling cash to Texas for years to come), would buy this country boy a bunch of hamburgers and fries....
You seem to have changed your mind instead of answering my question, why you thought your idea wasn't very good. I think it is a very good idea.

J

JPW

Junior Audioholic
I've checked with some local installers and they want $75 to $125 an hour. Best Buy & Magnolia want $600 for a basic install with everything provided + extra for anything beyond basic system training and universal remote setup.

I was thinking about $40 to $50 an hour. I'm buying all the cables and accessories, and they are reimbursing me for these, but I still have time involved and I'm not marking them up.

The thing that's killing me is all the phone calls and incidentals. I make a recommendation, then they call me to discuss it 4 to 5 times. I already have 2 plus hours in phone calls logged for this job. They are suppose to have certain things ready for me, and they don't, it just goes on and on.

When they offered to pay me, I asked them what a fair price was, but they didn't know. Now that I'm into it, but haven't hooked everything up, I feel I need to quote them an hourly price in hope that the phone calls and incidentals will stop.

mulester7

mulester7

Audioholic Samurai
Pyrrho said:
You seem to have changed your mind instead of answering my question, why you thought your idea wasn't very good. I think it is a very good idea.
.....Pyrrho, I'll just say your earlier post inspired me....maybe I've done got shy to expressing my opinion at this site....I post hearings from a room with plenty adequate acoustics, and I get told it could not have happened, or google-science says the report is unfounded and worthless 'cause I didn't have blindfolds on listening to A well after B, which "IS" worthless unless there are radical differences....I can't help but wonder if some guys need to get out more and enjoy life, not sitting around so much reading guys who figured out a horsecrap method of getting recognized in a review.......

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
mulester7 said:
.....Pyrrho, I'll just say your earlier post inspired me....maybe I've done got shy to expressing my opinion at this site....I post hearings from a room with plenty adequate acoustics, and I get told it could not have happened, or google-science says the report is unfounded and worthless 'cause I didn't have blindfolds on listening to A well after B, which "IS" worthless unless there are radical differences....I can't help but wonder if some guys need to get out more and enjoy life, not sitting around so much reading guys who figured out a horsecrap method of getting recognized in a review.......
Hey, just because some of your other ideas might not be so good, that doesn't mean your ideas in this thread are bad!

mulester7

mulester7

Audioholic Samurai
JPW said:
I make a recommendation, then they call me to discuss it 4 to 5 times
.....that right there tells me they probably won't be thrilled with 40-50 an hour....they asked the son of their friends to do the install for a reason....

J

JPW

Junior Audioholic
mulester7 said:
.....that right there tells me they probably won't be thrilled with 40-50 an hour....they asked the son of their friends to do the install for a reason....
They asked me because they are impressed with my parents home theater that I setup.

Just to clarify, I'm a 40 year old son. Not some young buck who hasn't been around the block. My time is worth money, and I'd much rather spend time with my family, then setup somones home theater for free. If I can't make money at it, I'll pass on the job.

mulester7

mulester7

Audioholic Samurai
Pyrrho said:
Hey, just because some of your other ideas might not be so good, that doesn't mean your ideas in this thread are bad!
.....hahaha, good one, and you'll be glad to know I'm "not" going to call you a turd....no Sir, know weigh......

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
JPW said:
I've checked with some local installers and they want $75 to $125 an hour. Best Buy & Magnolia want $600 for a basic install with everything provided + extra for anything beyond basic system training and universal remote setup.

I was thinking about $40 to $50 an hour. I'm buying all the cables and accessories, and they are reimbursing me for these, but I still have time involved and I'm not marking them up.

The thing that's killing me is all the phone calls and incidentals. I make a recommendation, then they call me to discuss it 4 to 5 times. I already have 2 plus hours in phone calls logged for this job. They are suppose to have certain things ready for me, and they don't, it just goes on and on.

When they offered to pay me, I asked them what a fair price was, but they didn't know. Now that I'm into it, but haven't hooked everything up, I feel I need to quote them an hourly price in hope that the phone calls and incidentals will stop.
Okay, tell them what the others would charge them (be specific about who would charge what, and what they would deliver for that fee), then suggest your $40-50 per hour. Of course, you will need to be clear about what hours are billable and what are not.

Alternatively, you could suggest that they call these other places to ask what they charge, and then have them suggest what they think is fair in light of what they hear (though don't count on them coming up with the same figure as you if you do this).

Hopefully, you have an idea of what they want in the end, and can make suggestions regarding how it should be done to achieve the desired results. Depending on what they are like, it is often good if you can also explain to them why things should be done one way rather than another.

Also, an agreed upon price before work begins is the only fair way for all parties concerned. Otherwise, someone is likely to feel cheated.

mulester7

mulester7

Audioholic Samurai
JPW said:
They asked me because they are impressed with my parents home theater that I setup.

Just to clarify, I'm a 40 year old son. Not some young buck who hasn't been around the block. My time is worth money, and I'd much rather spend time with my family, then setup somones home theater for free. If I can't make money at it, I'll pass on the job.
.....understand, and thanks for the clarification, but you're still the son of friends who doesn't do installs for a living, and I wouldn't doubt they are thinking they will get out for little compared to using guys who do it for a living....like I said earlier, it's going to boil down to your call, but I'd take a long hard look at 350-400 green ones for 20 or so hours doing something I enjoy....maybe you don't need the green, I don't know......

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis