Home Theater in a Condo - Help Sound Proofing

K

kevin82287

Audiophyte
Hello everyone,

I just bought a 2 floor, middle unit condo and I'm going to be putting in a 5.1 HT system downstairs in the living room. The room is pretty good size, measuring 18' x 11'. Fortunately, I only have 1 neighbor ( the maintenance guy uses the unit to my left as storage). My dilemma is that the wall that I will be putting the TV on is next to is a shared wall with my neighbor. I wanted to get some feedback on what I can expect as far as sound proofing that wall to the best of my ability.

1) There is an 8" concrete firewall with a layer of sheet rock on the shared wall. How is the concrete wall as far as sound proofing goes? I've spoken to a few people who live in the condos and they claim they never hear anything, but of course I doubt they have a HT system like the one I want to have.

2) Would it be worth putting up another layer of sheet rock on that wall for additional sound proofing? Is there a special kind of sheet rock that is made for this?

3) From what I have read the sub is the biggest issue. It seems the general consensus is to place rubber pads underneath the legs to reduce vibrations. Is there anything else that can be done to help with the low frequencies?

The plan is to have laminate flooring in this room and from what I've read I should get decent rug to absorb the sound. Also, there is a glass sliding door to the left of the shared wall and I'll be getting a thicker style drapes to help as well.

Thanks for your help!

johndoe

johndoe

Audioholic
There are drywall-like products made for sound attenuation. I think one of them is called quietrock or something like that. On their website you can get details of different partition assemblies and their (laboratory tested) tsc ratings. Bear in mind that the attenuation rating (tsc) number is only tested for middle frequencies (125-4000Hz) and the lab conditions are far from realistic. The heavy mass of the concrete (btw, is it concrete or concrete block?) wall will likely help with the bass, but you probably should add another one-sided wall that doesn't touch the demising wall, keep the studs a couple of inches away from the original layer of drywall. Don't forget to caulk all around the perimeter. And if you use batt insulation, DON'T overstuff the wall cavity. It's counterproductive.
Home Depot/Lowe's don't carry quietrock and the such, as far as I know.

Some people have opted to stay away from huge subwoofers and add tactile transducers to their furniture in similar situations.

B

bpape

Audioholic Chief
The concrete wall will do a decent job of isolating you. Understand though that for deep sub frequencies, there are other paths of transmission. Do you have shared floor or ceiling joists? That's a prime path. Does the unit have a basement or is it slab construction? Bass can flank through a solid slab that's shared by the 2 units.

Bryan

just-some-guy

just-some-guy

Audioholic Field Marshall
also consider. go talk to your neighbor.

if they seem friendly enough, tell them your plan. and ask what days/times it would be ok to crank it up. and do some testing. have someone crank it up, while you and neighbor listen in their place. you may be suprised in that its not as loud as you thought. and/or, it doesn't bother them that much. and/or they are not home much, or are nice enough to deal with it for a few hours a week.

if they don't seem friendly. find out what the sound laws are where you live.
chances are you can crank it some times and not get in trouble. even if you are pissing off the neighbor.

Whitey80

Whitey80

Senior Audioholic
As mentioned, Auralex Gramma pads and MoPads do help. You don't need to hassle with online ordering though, I treated my whole theater room with Auralex products from a local Guitar Center store.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis