home audio system for cds

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
+1

Agreed

But I will say that with the TEAC thing up there is nifty it doubles as a DVD player which is pretty useful. I guess it really depends on whether you want to sacrifice your computer for your listening sessions, or just get some long cords so that you are able to listen to your CDs from the listening position and still use your computer.

Also we're all talking about your computer but you haven't told us what you have, which at this point would probably be helpful to know since there are a lot of assumptions being made by us.

J

joshus77

Enthusiast
Thanks for replying!
I believe I need a 2.1 channel system? And the setup would be to have speakers with a listening area in front, so not like a computer setup at all.
My budget.... ah... I wouldn't know where to begin, so this may be WAY too low. Let's keep it under $500?
Is a receiver used for a CD player as well?
Low budget sound you may even want to venture into some of the new sound bars. Since you aren't going for a surround sound they put out nice sound for the cost and u can hook into your computer/PS3/or Xbox and play music through that as a cd player and ipod/mp3 as another option.

I will get ripped on for suggesting this but a 2.1 receiver isn't worth the set up time and I agree speakers would be the best money spent but - this option gives you a third affordable option.

Example
Amazon.com: PYLE PSBV400 6 Way 300 Watt Multi Source Wall Mounted Sound Bar with USB, SD, MP3, FM Tuner and SRS 3D Technology: Electronics

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Well I mean define receiver. I doubt you'll get ripped on since none of us have suggested a receiver after the budget came out. All suggestions after post 6 or 7 have stayed far away from a receiver and even for a CD player.

I still like the logitech system, but then again I haven't heard all the rest of the speakers suggested.

Now if you really want to get ripped start suggesting Bose :D

G

Grador

Audioholic Field Marshall
I wouldn't rip you for that suggestion either. I just don't know if that provides any more sound quality than going the logitech direction, and the lack of upgrade-ability. I'm also starting to think that we might have lost our OP.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Thanks for replying!
I believe I need a 2.1 channel system? And the setup would be to have speakers with a listening area in front, so not like a computer setup at all.
My budget.... ah... I wouldn't know where to begin, so this may be WAY too low. Let's keep it under $500?
Is a receiver used for a CD player as well?
How about most of it free and you pay shipping. I have just the speakers for the college classical music lover.

I have some equipment that needs to find a home.

I have a pair of Jordan Watts Juliet speakers. These are full range 4" drivers, one per box in a reflex enclosure.

You will not need a 2.1 system. These little drivers have good output down to 40 Hz.

For details go to my Jordan Watts page.

You can download a 1970s brochure and see the Juliet.

They are ideal for classical music and I listened to speakers with one of these drivers per speaker in a TL all the way through medical school and residency.

They will play acoustic jazz, but don't even think of showing them rock music. Unless played softly rock and pop music will destroy them.

Playing classical music they will last a life time, unless you oil can the cones, by plugging or unplugging equipment while it is on.

I just demonstrated a pair of Juliets at MISCO who make and design a huge number drivers, and manufacture over a million drivers a year here in Minneapolis.

They were just blown away. They could not believe the clarity of the boys of Worcester Cathedral and the authority of the organ signing the Marion anthems by Elgar.

Next winter I hope Misco will help me develop this driver where I left off nearly 40 years ago now.

I have an Akai receiver that belonged to my father in law and has been unused since my mother in law died.

I have an old TEAC CD player, but I would buy a new one for about $100 that will play computer generated discs.

I am an an age where I have a 50% chance of being dead in the 7 to 8 years.

So it is time to start to find a home for some of the gear that has accumulated.

So let me know if you are interested. I can assure you those speakers sound far better than the vast majority of the bookshelf speakers on the market today. You would have to spend at least a $1000 per pair to best them.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Don't Polk with me.
Why you......:mad::p:D

I wouldn't rip you for that suggestion either. I just don't know if that provides any more sound quality than going the logitech direction, and the lack of upgrade-ability. I'm also starting to think that we might have lost our OP.
I agree, OP, where are you OPPPPPPP????!?!?

Good deal above from TLS guy. If you need to get rid of any other gear I'm interested :D

N

Nolleon

Audiophyte
Ok. Here I am! Sorry it took so long.
1. Thanks for all the suggestions!!! So many suggestions!!!!! :)
2. I'm a ...girl... which may better explain my lack of knowledge
3. I have a Dell laptop for a computer.

Would it be cheapest to use my computer? I am mainly concerned with just listening to cd's, and maybe watch dvd's of performances on my computer (I'm not concerned with picture, really, just sound).
Also, generally, when I listen to recordings I don't sit somewhere else with my computer, I just.... sit and listen, maybe with music score in hand, which is what I do with classical, so having it done through a computer would be just fine.

And as for a subwoofer, I'm not sure what it does, but does it help in your suggestions to know that I do not listen to any electronic music? All classical.. ya know, symphony orchestras and pianos.

Anyways, thanks for all the suggestions! I'll find a store to talk to real life people, too, so I can visualize better how this works. I'm not in too much of a hurry... moving into an apartment in the fall so I got some time.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
1. Being male or female has got nothing to do with it :)

2. I think, based on what you've said, not buying a CD or DVD player would be the best way to go. Finding someone (if you can't do it yourself) to upgrade your audio card is the simplest way to get better sound.

3. I would seriously think about TLS Guys's offer if you don't plan on cranking these speakers. They sound like a great deal and he's only charging you for shipping on all of the items.

4. A subwoofer is there to play all of the lower frequencies that bookshelves and towers weren't designed to. Depending on the quality and design of the bookshelf or tower speaker and then on the quality of the subwoofer, it can take over anywhere from 120Hz to 40hz (this is called the crossover point). The subwoofer itself is usually designed to play frequencies 120 Hz and lower. They really shine right around between 20-80 Hz and it usually takes a well designed sub to play really well 100-120 and then below 20ish Hz.

You won't get that oomph in the lower octaves without a sub (unless you've got some terrific, albeit expensive other speakers).

My own disdain for Dells aside ;), I really think your best bet would be to stick with your computer as your CD player, upgrade your sound card, take TLS Guy up on his offer and have a pretty sweet setup for all or most of college.

G

Grador

TLS Guy, given how much I've learned from you in various threads in the past few weeks, I'm upset I don't live anywhere near you as I cannot imagine how much I could learn in person.

OP, I would take him up on this offer, these will probably be far better than any equipment you're willing to spring for at this time.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

ok I am definitely interested in TLS guy's deal!
In that case I will PM you. I will be happy to help you. I would not use your computer to play your CDs, I would use a stand alone player. Ordinary computers are not the best for classical music. You need a dedicated audio workstation, which is complex. I have never got anywhere with computer sound cards inside the computer. For classical music you need an external digital audio converter. Classical music reproduction is a totally different ball game from the pop/rock world.

I use my computer audio work station to record broadcasts form MPR FM radio and capture internet concerts from the BBC, especially from the PROMS. Above all I use it to archive the many live recordings I made over many years when I did most of the outside broadcast work for the local public radio station.

If you want to watch videos as well then a CD/DVD/BD player is what you need. I just bought a nice Panasonic unit for $89 on Amazon, for my lower level great room.

When I get back to the lake on Tuesday, I will dig out and thoroughly clean up and check out the units, and send you photographs. I will make you up the interconnecting leads. I will need to know how long you want the speaker leads to be. It would be best if you purchase speaker stands for the speakers.

It will be just what a student needs. Simple, straightforward and easy to set up and move.

B

bikemig

Audioholic Chief
For $500, I'd get a decent pair of powered speakers (which combine the amp and the speaker). I like the audioengine A-5s that you can pick up for $300: Amazon.com: Audioengine A5 Powered Multimedia Speaker System (Black): Electronics. The newer A5 plus run $400 and add a remote control (and a few other improvements): Audioengine 5+ - Audioengineusa.com. Some folks like other powered speakers better; I've owned a pair of these for a long time. The folks at Audioengine are good people and I like their products. Skip the CD player. Just rip the CDs on your computer and use that to playback your music. Simply connect the headphone out from your computer to the analog inputs to the A-5s and you're done. Another possibility is to go for these speakers from Kanto: Kanto Speakers | A perfect compliment to your Apple TV, Boxee or Roku media system. It will run you $329 and it comes with an amp that has both digital and analog inputs (which is pretty cool and useful) and a sub out. You can add their sub for $200 and have a complete 2.1 system for $529.

Edit: I listen to a lot of classical music as well. I haven't owned a CD player for a while. It's your call but I think you'll be happier with a computer play back system. The key is to rip your music into a lossless format; you can use Itunes and rip everything into apple lossless (there are alternatives if you don't like going with Itunes).

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

For $500, I'd get a decent pair of powered speakers (which combine the amp and the speaker). I like the audioengine A-5s that you can pick up for $300: Amazon.com: Audioengine A5 Powered Multimedia Speaker System (Black): Electronics. The newer A5 plus run $400 and add a remote control (and a few other improvements): Audioengine 5+ - Audioengineusa.com. Some folks like other powered speakers better; I've owned a pair of these for a long time. The folks at Audioengine are good people and I like their products. Skip the CD player. Just rip the CDs on your computer and use that to playback your music. Simply connect the headphone out from your computer to the analog inputs to the A-5s and you're done. Another possibility is to go for these speakers from Kanto: Kanto Speakers | A perfect compliment to your Apple TV, Boxee or Roku media system. It will run you $329 and it comes with an amp that has both digital and analog inputs (which is pretty cool and useful) and a sub out. You can add their sub for $200 and have a complete 2.1 system for $529.
That's not the way you reproduce classical music by a long shot.

B

bikemig

Audioholic Chief
That's not the way you reproduce classical music by a long shot.
Sure it is and it is a great way to do it. The OP has $500 to spend so that limits his choices. He could also piece together a receiver and speakers for that amount as well if he likes and shops around.

Or are you saying that ripping CDs to a lossless format is not the way to go? I can't imagine ever going back to playing CDs. Itunes (or any other music player) gives you a great front end for playing all your music and provides a database so that you can access your music. Who wants to dig through a few hundred (or thousands) CDs?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Sure it is and it is a great way to do it. The OP has $500 to spend so that limits his choices. He could also piece together a receiver and speakers for that amount as well if he likes and shops around.

Or are you saying that ripping CDs to a lossless format is not the way to go? I can't imagine ever going back to playing CDs. Itunes (or any other music player) gives you a great front end for playing all your music and provides a database so that you can access your music. Who wants to dig through a few hundred (or thousands) CDs?
First of all those speakers are nowhere near adequate, and second it is very hard and expensive to get the required quality from a computer. I know because I have done it.

B

bikemig

Audioholic Chief
The hardware and computer playback are two separate issues.

On the hardward side, I like the audioengines a lot; they are pretty darn good for the money. If the OP wants a receiver and speakers, that's cool and they can be had for close to his budget as well but he'll have to shop around to make that work.

For playback, CD players (and CDs) are going the way of the dinosaurs for lots of good reasons. Heck you can simply stream music via the internet from MOG, Rhapsody, or Pandora and never buy another CD. There are some decent high quality internet classical stations like this from Linn: Music. It streams at 320 kpbs. MOG and Rhapsody do 320 kpbs if you pay for the service. You can listen to any classical station anywhere in the world and some stream at a reasonably high bit rate.

Or you can rip your music losslessly and play it from your computer.

It is neither hard nor expensive to set up a computer playback system. The OP can set up a nice system within his budget.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

The hardware and computer playback are two separate issues.

On the hardward side, I like the audioengines a lot; they are pretty darn good for the money. If the OP wants a receiver and speakers, that's cool and they can be had for close to his budget as well but he'll have to shop around to make that work.

For playback, CD players (and CDs) are going the way of the dinosaurs for lots of good reasons. Heck you can simply stream music via the internet from MOG, Rhapsody, or Pandora and never buy another CD. There are some decent high quality internet classical stations like this from Linn: Music. It streams at 320 kpbs. MOG and Rhapsody do 320 kpbs if you pay for the service. You can listen to any classical station anywhere in the world and some stream at a reasonably high bit rate.

Or you can rip your music losslessly and play it from your computer.

It is neither hard nor expensive to set up a computer playback system. The OP can set up a nice system within his budget.
The problem with computers is the power supply. For classical music an external DAC with its own power supply is mandatory.

Unfortunately the industry is highly pop geared. For the real enjoyment of classical music some fundamental differences of approach are required.

There are very good reasons why physical media are dominant in the classical arena.

B

bikemig

Audioholic Chief
@TLS guy: we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one. I like computer playback systems.

To the OP, if I were setting up a new system for computer audio playback and I could go a bit over your $500 budget, I'd get a squeezebox touch which runs around $300 (sometimes you can get it for a bit less): Amazon.com: Logitech Squeezebox Touch: Electronics. I'd get the Touch rather than a CD player. The Touch sounds great through its analog outputs, it does internet radio well, and makes computer playback a breeze. Just add hardware of choice.

G

Grador

That squeezbox is a terrible idea for someone on a tight budget....

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis