Holy Smokes Is this Real?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
It is real. It is known to live there and is photographed regularly according to the news. It is named "The Hunchback".

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
You know I was not joking about only going out knee deep in the ocean. Last time I was in the ocean in New Smyrna Beach I got a bit bolder. Went out to a little above chest deep. Turns out, less than 50-60 yards from where I was at, a boy from Indiana was bit on his knee by a baby shark. Luckily, he survived and all. However, where there is a baby shark there is a mommy shark. Yet, there I was being a bit bolder and looking like a sitting duck so to speak. So now I only go knee deep. That way, I will have a running chance!

Cheers,

Phil
Yeah, I love to swim out past the point where I can't even touch the bottom! A real feeling of being out of your element! Yes, it's a bit scary, but it is very fun. I have also had the opportunity to swim in the Carribean, just stop the boat and jump out, out between the American Virgin Islands and the British Virgin Islands.

1 time I went swimming in the Gulf of Mexico right at daybreak, and we had all these little fish jumping out of the water and zipping right by our faces.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
It is real. It is known to live there and is photographed regularly according to the news. It is named "The Hunchback".
Yeah, just seen something on my local news about it. Lots of people going there to see it. Sadly, it is creating dangerous situations. So wildlife officials are trying to educate people as to the real dangers. Their goal is not to euthanize that gator.

I just wonder how really big he is and what he weighs. Can't even imaging what kind of biting force that big dude has. Sure wouldn't want to be the one finding out.....LOL!!!! I bet he could hold his own against any of the bigger salt water crocs out there.

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Yeah, I love to swim out past the point where I can't even touch the bottom! A real feeling of being out of your element! Yes, it's a bit scary, but it is very fun. I have also had the opportunity to swim in the Carribean, just stop the boat and jump out, out between the American Virgin Islands and the British Virgin Islands.

1 time I went swimming in the Gulf of Mexico right at daybreak, and we had all these little fish jumping out of the water and zipping right by our faces.
If the water is very clear I may give it a go. But, you can bet I won't be too far from safety. That is how I roll........LOL!!!! They say Bull Sharks have the highest levels of testosterone than any other animal on the planet. I venture to say that may be very well true. That is, until they measure BOTH of my ex-wives.......LOL!!!!! Things may turn out a bit different. :D:D:D:D

Cheers,

Phil

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
A big part of me wants to believe it is real. But, there is just something about it that is odd. The gator just does not look to be in proportion. Some people have gotten very good at photo shopping. Perhaps, it is real. The article mentions 14', but I am not so sure about that part of it. If the gator is real he would be bigger than that. Just saying.........

Cheers,

Phil

PS Could you even imagine how strong that gator's bite would be? I sure wouldn't want to find out! Grizzly bears can smash a bowling ball! Gators are said to have a stronger bite. Holy smokes!

Cheers,

Phil
It's real and part of the exaggeration is the way the picture is taken. There's a thing fishermen do when getting selfies of them and their catch. They will hold the fish out in front of them which makes it appear much larger. We tend to jokingly crucify our friends who do that.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
You know I was not joking about only going out knee deep in the ocean. Last time I was in the ocean in New Smyrna Beach I got a bit bolder. Went out to a little above chest deep. Turns out, less than 50-60 yards from where I was at, a boy from Indiana was bit on his knee by a baby shark. Luckily, he survived and all. However, where there is a baby shark there is a mommy shark. Yet, there I was being a bit bolder and looking like a sitting duck so to speak. So now I only go knee deep. That way, I will have a running chance!

Cheers,

Phil
I don't swim past knee deep in the ocean if I don't have to unless it's with a mask and fins at the least, and I've pretty much outgrown such adventure. Here, they report when sharks are abundant in the area being they have aerial coverage of everything these days. We used to spearfish a lot back in the day but that gets old after awhile too.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Down here we tend to get a lot of folks from other places in the country, who will move onto a lake or river, and they become what we jokingly call, "alligator whisperers." They will feed them and become the experts on the matter to all their unwashed friends and relatives, and then their fluffy dog ends up getting eaten. They're easy to spot. They will have a sunburned stripe, between the top of their knee socks and the bottoms of their Bermuda shorts.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
When an alligator is on it's feet like in that photo, they can run surprisingly fast. Sad thing is, now with such exposure and curiosity around the animal, it will likely have to be removed or destroyed to save stupid people from themselves.

I should also mention that my post no way indicate that I am anything of a wildlife adventurer. Most of the time, we have to watch for it and we rarely go it alone and we're very familiar with where we live but we avoid these things if we can. Best policy has always been, just to move on to where it's safer unless you plan on killing and eating something like that. Sharks. . .I can't see fishing for them and most of us from here don't. For one, they contain higher levels of mercury and are known not to be very healthy to eat unless you were starving or something. Still, there is more suitable things in the ocean to eat on any given day.

I've survived here and enjoyed being outdoors but like anywhere else, you kind of have to be aware and not do stupid things. The idiots who wrestle gators for show almost always end up getting bit eventually and their the supposed experts.

Last edited:
speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
When an alligator is on it's feet like in that photo, they can run surprisingly fast. Sad thing is, now with such exposure and curiosity around the animal, it will likely have to be removed or destroyed to save stupid people from themselves.
Yeah, they can move fast when need be. But, this dude looks so confident I doubt that there is much that scares him. Hopefully, he will not have to be euthanized. I respect wildlife and do so by keeping my distance. Even in Africa, the lions can look so tame and laid back. But, get off of that jeep and you will find out first hand just how untamed they really are. The same goes w/Polar bears. Many think that they are so cute and cuddly. However, Polar bears are very fierce and will eat you alive! They will do so w/o any reservations.

Cheers,

Phil

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
I now live in the city. Once the state started to become overdeveloped, I lost interest in hunting, and all the places we used to be able to roam became private properties and off limits. All the free lakes and ponds became waterfront property and a place for septic tanks to leach into. The people poison all the vegetation because it's icky on their feet and they replace the natural shore with trucked in beach sand. These gators are quickly running out of places to go, which is evident in the OP photo.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I now live in the city. Once the state started to become overdeveloped, I lost interest in hunting, and all the places we used to be able to roam became private properties and off limits. All the free lakes and ponds became waterfront property and a place for septic tanks to leach into. The people poison all the vegetation because it's icky on their feet and they replace the natural shore with trucked in beach sand. These gators are quickly running out of places to go, which is evident in the OP photo.
And then people wonder why they have gators in their yard/pool/kitchen. YOU encroached on THEIR home lol.

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/24254754/ns/us_news-weird_news/t/whoa-woman-finds--foot-alligator-kitchen/#.WIEHsfkrKUk

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
LOL I like the bottle save in the madness there....gator ain't gettin' mah drink!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis