Holy Smokes Is this Real?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Looks real. Ever seen the show Swamp People? Fun show. They pull them out of the water regularly in the 10+ ft lengths and have pulled some that were like 15ft and ~1K lbs. That one looks to be older and probably in the 12ft+ range.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
LOL thought at first you got some threat or something for signing out....he's a cutie. If you play golf in Florida watch the water hazards....

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Looks real. Ever seen the show Swamp People? Fun show. They pull them out of the water regularly in the 10+ ft lengths and have pulled some that were like 15ft and ~1K lbs. That one looks to be older and probably in the 12ft+ range.
Yeah John Swamp People is a good show. I agree in that they have caught some rather BIG gators, but I have NEVER seen one this BIG. I would venture to say this one is 14' plus and at least 1,300-1,400 pounds. What in the heck has that thing been eating? Oh I know? He has been eating that Kimber Cable BS numnutts is trying to support........LOL!!!!!!!! That explains why the gator is so BIG. All of that BS!

Cheers,

Phil

Last edited:
speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Why do you say this? Is gator's tail something of a premium cut when having reptiles as your diet?
All I can say is that gator tail is absolutely delicious! Got to try some a good while back and I was quite impressed. No, it is not a regular part of my diet, but given the chance I can eat some every once in a while. To me, it tastes just like Chic Fil-A chicken nuggets. Maybe a bit richer in flavor if you will. Honestly I never thought that in a million years I would ever eat gator tail.

Cheers

Phil

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
All I can say is that gator tail is absolutely delicious! Got to try some a good while back and I was quite impressed. No, it is not a regular part of my diet, but given the chance I can eat some every once in a while. To me, it tastes just like Chic Fil-A chicken nuggets. Maybe a bit richer in flavor if you will. Honestly I never thought that in a million years I would ever eat gator tail.

Cheers

Phil
Yup, it's good. I have also had BBQ gator legs, good stuff! Also, gator sausage, but it needs to be ~50% pork added--gator doesn't have enough fat to make a good sausage.

Dunno though, a gator that old and big may not be as good eating, but I don't know enough about it to know for sure.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Yup, it's good. I have also had BBQ gator legs, good stuff! Also, gator sausage, but it needs to be ~50% pork added--gator doesn't have enough fat to make a good sausage.

Dunno though, a gator that old and big may not be as good eating, but I don't know enough about it to know for sure.
Honestly, I think that I will stick to just gator ail. Not brave enough to try the legs. Might give the sausage a try if I am ever given the chance. Can't even begin to imagine how much gator tail is on that big dude......LOL!!!!!! :D:p:p:D

Cheers,

Phil

Last edited:
Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
Folks, just came across this when I signed out of my yahoo email. Is this for real? If so, that is one sucker I would never want to run into.......LOL:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/massive-alligator-strolls-casually-past-192632905.html

That is a lot of gator tail though.......LOL!!!!!! :eek::eek::cool::eek::eek:

Cheers,

Phil
Phil & MrBoat
MrBoat is in the Tampa area and I think this video was shot in the Tampa area.
Perhaps MrBoat can comment on the authenticity of the video.
I have seen a lot, and I mean a lot, of forced perspective videos and pictures that can make an ordinary sized animal seem like Godzilla. This fat boy may be genuine or a very clever video edit.. But, I live in the Arizona desert. I'm the last guy you could ask.

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
LOL thought at first you got some threat or something for signing out....he's a cutie. If you play golf in Florida watch the water hazards....
I have played on courses at a Disney property that had gators in the water hazards. Also played in Mexico where they had them in the ponds, but they also had iguanas of unreasonable size (there's a Princess Bride reference there somewhere). Makes the golfin' interesting

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Phil & MrBoat
MrBoat is in the Tampa area and I think this video was shot in the Tampa area.
Perhaps MrBoat can comment on the authenticity of the video.
I have seen a lot, and I mean a lot, of forced perspective videos and pictures that can make an ordinary sized animal seem like Godzilla. This fat boy may be genuine or a very clever video edit.. But, I live in the Arizona desert. I'm the last guy you could ask.
Personally, I don't think that it is real. If it is, then I would hate to meet that gator's father..............LOL!!!! :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Cheers,

Phil

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
The canal I used to fish in had a 16' gator in it. Our boat was 12'. When I used to go down to the Everglades as a boy, a friend of mine's father, who used to take us all there hunting, would take a stick, crawl in their den, get them to bite down on it, drag them out, roll them over on their back and rub their belly until they fell asleep. Then he would slide off of the beast, lull us into a mode of safety, then clap his hands and the damned thing would come alive and scare the holy hell out of us and we'd all go running every different direction.

My brother got barred for life from a bar for letting a 5' gator loose in the women's restroom. I have a long history with the critters. The show swamp people is highly exaggerated. They excite those gators into a frenzy for the show. Most of the times, unless they are really stuck in the grass, you can ease them right up to the surface and shoot them before they even stir or before they see you good. You can see this on the show actually. The more calm you keep them, the more tender the meat. At least that's what we were told.

I caught one that an eagle had dropped and it had holes in it from the eagles talons. I brought it home, crammed some Neosporin in the wounds and it recovered. Went to let it go and it wouldn't leave and kept finding it's way back to my house. Finally had to drive it about 10 miles out of town.

One of alligators favorite things to eat, believe it or not is. . . . marshmallows.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
The canal I used to fish in had a 16' gator in it. Our boat was 12'. When I used to go down to the Everglades as a boy, a friend of mine's father, who used to take us all there hunting, would take a stick, crawl in their den, get them to bite down on it, drag them out, roll them over on their back and rub their belly until they fell asleep. Then he would slide off of the beast, lull us into a mode of safety, then clap his hands and the damned thing would come alive and scare the holy hell out of us and we'd all go running every different direction.

My brother got barred for life from a bar for letting a 5' gator loose in the women's restroom. I have a long history with the critters. The show swamp people is highly exaggerated. They excite those gators into a frenzy for the show. Most of the times, unless they are really stuck in the grass, you can ease them right up to the surface and shoot them before they even stir or before they see you good. You can see this on the show actually. The more calm you keep them, the more tender the meat. At least that's what we were told.

I caught one that an eagle had dropped and it had holes in it from the eagles talons. I brought it home, crammed some Neosporin in the wounds and it recovered. Went to let it go and it wouldn't leave and kept finding it's way back to my house. Finally had to drive it about 10 miles out of town.

One of alligators favorite things to eat, believe it or not is. . . . marshmallows.
Wow! All I can say is that YOU my dear friend is a much braver man than me......LOL!!! I prefer to be in water that I can clearly see what is in it. The dark water is a BIG time no go for me. Even when in the ocean I do NOT go out past knee deep. I much prefer to take in the scenery if you know what I mean.....LOL!!!!! :):):):)

Cheers,

Phil

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Wow! All I can say is that YOU my dear friend is a much braver man than me......LOL!!! I prefer to be in water that I can clearly see what is in it. The dark water is a BIG time no go for me. Even when in the ocean I do NOT go out past knee deep. I much prefer to take in the scenery if you know what I mean.....LOL!!!!! :):):):)

Cheers,

Phil
We had a lot of respect for them. Just knowing about them we knew how to avoid them. I've spent most of my life here outdoors in it, and not so much as a close call with them. We used to wade fish a lot of the lakes around here, have bass on the stringer and have water moccasins tugging on the fish trying to take them from us. This place is tame now to the point of being ruined, never to return. I'm glad I got to live in the last of what wild remained here. Wish my kids could have experienced what I have.

I have a Jamaican friend who is my die-hard fishing buddy. We have been wading in Tampa Bay countless times and now we both have boats but that wasn't always so. First time I took him, we're wading along and this huge Manatee glides up on us and I know what it is, but my buddy doesn't, and all he sees is this giant shadow approaching. About that time, the Manatee turns and slaps the water with it's tail, drenching the both of us. My buddy, who is easily twice my size, pushes me between him and the shadow. I said, "wtf!" He says, "You're the crocodile m-f'r and I can't run in this muddy sh*t!"

Here's a picture of me wading back behind the boat with my cast net over my shoulder going for mullet in Tampa Bay.

Here's the same area and notice the fin sticking up. It's about a 10' Bull shark. We just keep our senses about us. I have had them approach before and a good shot on the snout with the butt of a fishing rod changes their mind quickly to the other direction.

Only time you really have to worry about gators is if they have young around. You can tell when they are in that kind of aggression mode. They just want you to go away and you just do.

I've seen so many incredible things here. Lived from the land a good part and appreciated every bit of it and hopefully left it as good or better than I found it.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
We had a lot of respect for them. Just knowing about them we knew how to avoid them. I've spent most of my life here outdoors in it, and not so much as a close call with them. We used to wade fish a lot of the lakes around here, have bass on the stringer and have water moccasins tugging on the fish trying to take them from us. This place is tame now to the point of being ruined, never to return. I'm glad I got to live in the last of what wild remained here. Wish my kids could have experienced what I have.

I have a Jamaican friend who is my die-hard fishing buddy. We have been wading in Tampa Bay countless times and now we both have boats but that wasn't always so. First time I took him, we're wading along and this huge Manatee glides up on us and I know what it is, but my buddy doesn't, and all he sees is this giant shadow approaching. About that time, the Manatee turns and slaps the water with it's tail, drenching the both of us. My buddy, who is easily twice my size, pushes me between him and the shadow. I said, "wtf!" He says, "You're the crocodile m-f'r and I can't run in this muddy sh*t!"

Here's a picture of me wading back behind the boat with my cast net over my shoulder going for mullet in Tampa Bay.

Here's the same area and notice the fin sticking up. It's about a 10' Bull shark. We just keep our senses about us. I have had them approach before and a good shot on the snout with the butt of a fishing rod changes their mind quickly to the other direction.

Only time you really have to worry about gators is if they have young around. You can tell when they are in that kind of aggression mode. They just want you to go away and you just do.

I've seen so many incredible things here. Lived from the land a good part and appreciated every bit of it and hopefully left it as good or better than I found it.
I have seen on TV where Bull Sharks can swim in fresh water. A fisherman found a very small bull shark in my neck of the woods just last year. I live very close to the Ohio River. They have also been found in the Mississippi River as well. To me, that is a bit scary as I used to swim in the Ohio River. I wouldn't swim in it now for a million dollars!

I used to chat w/a guy from Australia. We got to talking one day about Crocodiles. He told me that there is a BIG difference between a crocodile or salty and an alligator. Both in aggression and size. Basically, he said that salt water crocodiles will just flat out eat you-everything! Humans are certainly on the menu.

The thing that caught me off guard was when we discussed Crocodile Dundee albeit Paul Hogan. I always have likes the Crocodile Dundee movies myself. But, my friend told me most people in Australia hate him. Not really sure why. But, I found that to be a bit shocking. I have actually watch that movie lately.

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I'm pretty sure that is real.
A big part of me wants to believe it is real. But, there is just something about it that is odd. The gator just does not look to be in proportion. Some people have gotten very good at photo shopping. Perhaps, it is real. The article mentions 14', but I am not so sure about that part of it. If the gator is real he would be bigger than that. Just saying.........

Cheers,

Phil

PS Could you even imagine how strong that gator's bite would be? I sure wouldn't want to find out! Grizzly bears can smash a bowling ball! Gators are said to have a stronger bite. Holy smokes!

Cheers,

Phil

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
A big part of me wants to believe it is real. But, there is just something about it that is odd. The gator just does not look to be in proportion. Some people have gotten very good at photo shopping. Perhaps, it is real. The article mentions 14', but I am not so sure about that part of it. If the gator is real he would be bigger than that. Just saying.........

Cheers,

Phil

PS Could you even imagine how strong that gator's bite would be? I sure wouldn't want to find out! Grizzly bears can smash a bowling ball! Gators are said to have a stronger bite. Holy smokes!

Cheers,

Phil
Did you see this story? Had to be TX :rolleyes:

Likely gonna win the Darwin Award!

http://www.complex.com/pop-culture/2015/07/man-mocks-gator-gets-eaten-texas

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Did you see this story? Had to be TX :rolleyes:

Likely gonna win the Darwin Award!

http://www.complex.com/pop-culture/2015/07/man-mocks-gator-gets-eaten-texas
Yeah, I did read something on this. It was a different article. Seen it on yahoo or on FB. What an idiot! Larger gators are very dangerous no doubt. It almost sounds like when he jumped in the water he practically landed on top of the gator. Very sad indeed. This the perfect example why I only swim in water where I can clearly see what is in it. However, I do like the song "Old Black Water". That is as close to dark water as I am getting.....LOL!!!!! :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
You know I was not joking about only going out knee deep in the ocean. Last time I was in the ocean in New Smyrna Beach I got a bit bolder. Went out to a little above chest deep. Turns out, less than 50-60 yards from where I was at, a boy from Indiana was bit on his knee by a baby shark. Luckily, he survived and all. However, where there is a baby shark there is a mommy shark. Yet, there I was being a bit bolder and looking like a sitting duck so to speak. So now I only go knee deep. That way, I will have a running chance!

Cheers,

Phil

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis