Help with Subwoofer decision

J

Jon5783

Audioholic Intern
I am wondering if there are any subs out there that are in the $300-$400 price range that will out perform the B&W ASW1000. I have been talking with a buddy of mine that is willing to sell his ASW1000 but we haven't discussed price.

I am only looking to spend less than $400 and was wondering if there is anything else that would be a better use of my money. Currently i have a 40W 8" altec Lansing computer sub that I am perfectly happy with when watching movies (probably because i haven't heard better) but it is lacking when listing to music. I have read some reviews that the ASW1000 isn't that great for music and that its response is very dependent on room placement. My only problem is that i only have two places to put it (within cabinet behind TV, at the rear corner of my room)

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Who in their right mind uses a 40W, 8" sub?! You should drive to your friend's house right now, with cash in hand.

:p :D

M

myke

Junior Audioholic
Trust me the computer sub is not cutting it. If you are happy with it you will be super happy with one of the others. I dont know anything about the B&W sub but for your range of 3-400 you have a few options if you bought brand new. Read through the forums. I have been on the hunt for one myself. Im just trying to decide what I really want my budget to be and how fast I want it sitting in my living room is the problem...:D

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I think that he should upgrade tonight. I bet that he could be to his friend's house in, hmmm, 50 minutes. :D

Kidding aside, that computer sub is actually pretty impressive - but mostly only when it's fed a Dolby Digital bitstream. For analog audio feeds, it's not the best, though, and certainly not up to par with a "real" sub like the B&W, SVS, or the like. However, it's probably more of a sub than most people think of for computer speakers.

I have an impression that one of the things that holds that sub back, as well as any other one, is locating it in the cabinet behind the TV.

Jon - have you tried your current sub in the rear corner of the room?

jliedeka

jliedeka

Audioholic General
For less that $400, you could get a Hsu STF-2 shipped to your door. I haven't tried that one but am considering it for a bedroom system.

Jim

J

Jon5783

Audioholic Intern
Jon - have you tried your current sub in the rear corner of the room?
I have not tried to move it. But I know i won't be ultimately satisfied with this sub. For now its not worth the time...(in my wifes opinion). I'll probably just leave it there until I get a new one.

My speakers sound great when they are cranked up but then the sub distortion is noticeable. I have been turning off the sub when I listen to music at high levels

I have been looking at the 1200 watt rms 8" Polk from newegg thats only $350 but its reviews said its no better than a computer system subwoofer which I thought was odd due to the huge power output.Does anyone have any experience with this sub (Polk DSW Micro-Pro 1000) I also read a review about the B&W ASW1000 that said it was great for movies put lacked the punchy bass.. Should I look at sealed enclosures for the punchy bass?

Last edited:
adwilk

adwilk

Audioholic Ninja
That poor B&W sub, has it just been sittin in the computer room ever since the arrival of the Ultra? Thats just sad.

OP, the B&W will destroy the Polk at the same price point. I have yet to hear a Polk sub that I thought was worth even half of what they cost.

The B&W seems like a good deal... offer him about 20 less. I hear he's a pushover. Take some veggie corndogs to sweeten the deal a bit.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Sadly, the Morningstar Veggie Corndogs have been discontinued. I think that I might now begin to weep...forgive me.

Back to the sub talk...

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
HSU and eD both have subs in that price range and either will crush the B&W across the board.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Jon - you might want to also consider getting (or building) a product like the Subdude or Gramma from Auralex. There's been a decent amount of discussion on those here lately.

J

Jon5783

Audioholic Intern
So I moved my sub to the rear of my room

Now I know i need a better sub.. I moved the sub to every position in my room from the wall enclosure behind my tv and the sub sounds worse!! the Sub cannot reproduce any sort of kick-drum without it sounding muddy... And now it is not as loud as it was in the enclosure. I will be showing pictures later.. I am now serious about a new sub... well i was before but now I want one today!!!:D

J

Jon5783

Audioholic Intern
Well

50 minutes away... :D
We still haven't discussed price... my wife can be over in 15 minutes.. I'm sure she will love to pick it up. hehe.. She's just been dying for a new sub..:D

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
We still haven't discussed price...
No, we haven't. I'm more focused on if it's a good match for you. I'm still waiting for rnatalli to explain the comment about the other brands crushing the B&W. I don't want you to get a sub that you don't like.

She's just been dying for a new sub..:D
I imagine that it's all she talks about. :D

EDIT: I just PM'd rnatalli about this thread.

J

Jon5783

Audioholic Intern
Will the eD A3-250 sub crush the ASW100 b&W?

I have been looking at the A3-250 and was wondering if anyone has any experience with this sub.. I would want the A3 over the A2 versions because of the better woofer even though its more than i want to spend ($400).

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
You're not getting many responses here. Have you been able to find some good info in articles or on other sites?

J

Jon5783

Audioholic Intern
I'm thinking of just splurging

No one seems interested in this thread. I should add some excitement!! Well thats not going to happen. I have been reading reviews and comparing subs for the past week. I should just go with the SVS PC12-NSD, Approx. $620 with shipping:My Dad seems pretty happy with his older lowest-level SVS cylinder from about 5 years ago .

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis