Help me connect: Watch cable tv & listen to music @ the same time..

E

Eaunatural

Audiophyte
As the title says, I would like to be able to watch hd cable tv (mute) while i'm playing music through my AVR whether it's radio, ipod dock or cd, simultaneously. I would like to be able to watch TV without having to turn the AVR everytime. Please advise me on the best connection setup.

My system is as follows: Samsung 40" 1080P LCD TV, Yamaha 663 AVR, Pioneer DVD/CD and HD Cablebox. All have HDMI.

Thank you!

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
Most receivers will play the last used video source when switching to an audio only source. You may need to use analog connections for you DVD/CD player to be able to have this work. Hook the DVD/CD player to the CD in (analog or SPDIF) on the back of the receiver and while watching HD Tv switch to the CD and the video should stay on the screen.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
This is not a problem if you do your video switching via the TV and your audio switching by the receiver. I do this although for other reasons. Namely, I don't like to HAVE to use the receiver for all my TV watching.

Sometimes it's internal speakers, crappy as they are, are more than sufficient for what I'm watching. I don't need the news in 5.1

I simply run the red/white analog audio to the TV from each source and keep the volume down when I use the receiver. I don't even needthe receiver on when doing this. The "real" hi fi audio is run dierctly to the receiver.

N

newaudiofile

Audioholic
As was reply by the first post you can do this easily. I also have a yammy. I dont know about your.
i have connected my music to CD input of the AVR. When I press the CD button when watcing tv the picture is there but I can listen to music.
I have connected everything to AVR in this case.

E

Eaunatural

Audiophyte
thank you very much everyone for your replies!

just so there's no confusion, can someone please list the complete proper setup of my components. i have 3 HDMI cables to use and additional rca cables that came with the devices. i greatly appreciate it!

a) TV
b) AVR
c) Cablebox
d) DVD/CD Player

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
Cable box - HDMI to AVR HDMI 1 input
DVD/CD - HDMI to AVR HDMI 2 input
DVD/CD - Analog to AVR CD in
TV - HDMI from AVR to TV

That should do it. Hope that explains it well enough.

E

Eaunatural

Audiophyte
Cable box - HDMI to AVR HDMI 1 input
TV - HDMI from AVR to TV

That should do it. Hope that explains it well enough.
This wouldn't work because everything still went to the AVR. And the AVR only plays one input at a time. i.e. DTV/Cable or CD/Music

I had to go another route to get everything to work the way I wanted to. This is what the final connections looked like:

Cable Box - HDMI into TV
DVD/CD - HDMI into AVR
AVR - HDMI2 into TV
TV- RCA Audio out into AVR

-This allows me to watch cable tv with the AVR on or off.
-Watch cable tv on mute while listening to AVR audio from any source (ipod, radio, cd)

B

bongobob

Audioholic
This wouldn't work because everything still went to the AVR. And the AVR only plays one input at a time. i.e. DTV/Cable or CD/Music

I had to go another route to get everything to work the way I wanted to. This is what the final connections looked like:

Cable Box - HDMI into TV
DVD/CD - HDMI into AVR
AVR - HDMI2 into TV
TV- RCA Audio out into AVR

-This allows me to watch cable tv with the AVR on or off.
-Watch cable tv on mute while listening to AVR audio from any source (ipod, radio, cd)

Wouldn't you lose 5.1 channel Cable HD audio this way?
I ran SPDIF from the box straight to the AVR. I also use a Harmony 880 to do all the switching so I could have the music\TV (muted) set up as an activity.......

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
Did you try it the way I suggested? What you saying is true from an audio standpoint but your AVR will display the last used video signal when using an audio only source.

You have now lost any chance of having 5.1 (non PLIIx) surround sound. You should NEVER run your audio through your TV and then back to your AVR.

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
Here is page 49 of your manual that explains the process.

Pages from rx-v663-uman.jpg

For this to work you will have to use the connection scheme that I supplied. It will not work with the way that you have made your connections.

E

Eaunatural

Audiophyte
i'll try this soon and post results

yes, was disappointed in the sound when watching that new music hd channel from MTV

thanks all

E

Eaunatural

Audiophyte
Most receivers will play the last used video source when switching to an audio only source. You may need to use analog connections for you DVD/CD player to be able to have this work. Hook the DVD/CD player to the CD in (analog or SPDIF) on the back of the receiver and while watching HD Tv switch to the CD and the video should stay on the screen.
It worked! I know better next time to doubt you. Thanks a million :)

E

Eaunatural

Audiophyte
BUT, this setup only works when the AVR is on... Is there a way to get everything I want to without have to turn on the AVR everytime. I'd like to also be able to watch TV with just it's own speakers. Thanks!

B

bongobob

Audioholic
Just run a pair of RCA's from the cable box direct to the TV. That's how I have mine set up so the kids don't mess with my rack.......

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
BUT, this setup only works when the AVR is on... Is there a way to get everything I want to without have to turn on the AVR everytime. I'd like to also be able to watch TV with just it's own speakers. Thanks!
Re-read post three, which was posted about two weeks ago. :D

E

Eaunatural

Audiophyte
Re-read post three, which was posted about two weeks ago. :D
I read this quite a few times last night but wasn't sure if it conflicted w/ the connection setup that ADK Highlander suggested. This is how I have it now. So if I understand correctly, leave it and just add another set of RCA's from Cable Box to TV?

In sum, it will look like this:

Cable box - HDMI to AVR HDMI 1 input + RCA to TV
TV - HDMI from AVR to TV

Also, what does it mean when you hear a buzz/humming sound from the back of the TV? I've heard this every once in a while..

Thanks again for your inputs guys!

mr-ben

mr-ben

Audioholic
Cable Box -> HDMI into TV
DVD/CD -> HDMI into TV (I assume you have two HDMI inputs on your TV)
Cable Box -> optical/digital coax to AVR
DVD/CD -> optical/digital coax to AVR

You'll need to switch the inputs of both the TV and the AVR, but you get full sound quality and can use whichever sets of speakers you want. You'll have to mute the TV when using the AVR.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
You'll have to mute the TV when using the AVR.
Technically, yes, but sometimes using the "mute" button causes a visible indicator to appear on the screen and remain there as long as that functon is engaged. Turning the volume all the way down doesn't.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
I read this quite a few times last night but wasn't sure if it conflicted w/ the connection setup that ADK Highlander suggested. This is how I have it now. So if I understand correctly, leave it and just add another set of RCA's from Cable Box to TV?

In sum, it will look like this:

Cable box - HDMI to AVR HDMI 1 input + RCA to TV
TV - HDMI from AVR to TV

Also, what does it mean when you hear a buzz/humming sound from the back of the TV? I've heard this every once in a while..

Thanks again for your inputs guys!
Sometimes, an HDMI connection will provide some rudimentary audio to the TV. If that's your case, then Mr Ben is correct. You won't need to run that RCA cable. Try it with both the cable box and DVD player.

If there's no audio, then you do need to run those RCA cables to the TV.

Again, you'll select your video via the TV and your audio via the receiver.

As for connecting the AVR to the TV, since all video will be fed directly to the TV, not through the AVR, you'll only need that for it's setup. A composite video cable should suffice.

E

Eaunatural

Audiophyte
Sometimes, an HDMI connection will provide some rudimentary audio to the TV. If that's your case, then Mr Ben is correct. You won't need to run that RCA cable. Try it with both the cable box and DVD player.

If there's no audio, then you do need to run those RCA cables to the TV.

Again, you'll select your video via the TV and your audio via the receiver.

As for connecting the AVR to the TV, since all video will be fed directly to the TV, not through the AVR, you'll only need that for it's setup. A composite video cable should suffice.
I shall try this Mr Ben's setup tonight..
Cable Box -> HDMI into TV
DVD/CD -> HDMI into TV (I assume you have two HDMI inputs on your TV)
Cable Box -> optical/digital coax to AVR
DVD/CD -> optical/digital coax to AVR

Mark,
I'm sorry, did you say I needed another cable from AVR to TV? I just want to make sure I have all the connections covered. Thanks

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis