HELP! Denon AVR 3311 doesn't recognize new Surrounds

B

BM1

Audioholic Intern
Sorry, yes that was all checked as said in post #9.
Yeah I saw you reset it but didn't see anywhere that the firmware was checked. Good luck on the fix. Let us know what the final verdict is. Misbehaving components are no fun.

Last edited:
GoFastr

GoFastr

Full Audioholic
Sorry, yes firmware was up to date too. The only thing I haven't done yet was the new AirPlay version but I think that is below the firmware list as a feature?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi

Surprised they didn't keep the 43xx format; like AVR-4312 or 4313.

Kind of looks like a Marantz.

GoFastr

GoFastr

Full Audioholic
Update from service tech

Phoned the service center today for an update and the tech says that he has duplicated the problem but has no idea what the fix is at this time. He tried all of the simple stuff and did not get it to work (whala, so did I) and now he needs to spend more time with it to find out if it's a board or other electronic part needed.

So really, there is no update and I still don't have an AVR to run my system.

When I dropped it off I looked around and they did have the AVR-3313 model in stock.

GoFastr

GoFastr

Full Audioholic
**update**

Well the repair center called me yesterday and wanted me to bring in my remotes for the unit, which I did.

I had a chance to talk to the tech and he said he had opened a case with Denon technical service. They had tried the microprocessor reset and that didn't fix it. He said the Denon tech said this was a strange problem as they have never seen it before.

He said they needed the remote to go through some other resets or troubleshooting that they would try today.

I need my system and I'm thinking that if I don't have it back by tomorrow I'm just gonna buy the 3313 they have in stock for the house and maybe send this one off to the Denon repair facility and use it for the garage if they ever fix it.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Sorry to hear that. Really sucks. Was this Denon 3311 from Amazon? New or like-new? I forget.

I've bought 4 Denons (3310, 3310, 990, 3312) all from Amazon. No issues at all.

The 3313 is $750 from Electronics Expo.

GoFastr

GoFastr

Full Audioholic
Yeah, I got a great deal on the unit from Amazon and I've got tons of other stuff through them as well which is ok.

I guess I took too long before trying the surrounds and zone 2 stuff out on the unit. It's a little over a month out of warranty now.

I think this time I'm going to buy from a local dealer near me so that I can lean on them if I need anything more in the future. Since this piece is the heart of the system, it's worth it for me.

[/IMG]

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah, I got a great deal on the unit from Amazon and I've got tons of other stuff through them as well which is ok.

I guess I took too long before trying the surrounds and zone 2 stuff out on the unit. It's a little over a month out of warranty now.

I think this time I'm going to buy from a local dealer near me so that I can lean on them if I need anything more in the future. Since this piece is the heart of the system, it's worth it for me.

[/IMG]
$530 is an awesome price. The 3312 was $550 at one point from Amazon with 3 yr warranty I think.

Does Best Buy offer a replacement warranty, instead of repair warranty?

I guess if you buy locally, like Best Buy, as long as it is under warranty, you get free shipping both ways?

This is one reason I won't buy another AVR over $600. At this price, I can afford to buy a new one every year. :D

macddmac

macddmac

Audioholic General
I have a 2105 refurb that crapped out a month and a half out of warranty and denon paid to fix it after leaning on them a little- what have u got to lose?
Ps- its still going strong!

Last edited:
M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
I'd give Denon a call and explain that, thinking it was something you did (or didn't do), you've been trying to figure this out for quite some time before giving up and bringing it in for service. After all, it's the truth.

You've got this thread here, with time/date stamped posts, if that helps any, and it should.

Hopefully, they will let you slide on the warranty since it's such a weird problem.

GoFastr

GoFastr

Full Audioholic
Living in the Cayman Islands has it's draw backs. Shipping is a pain, local prices are high and warranties are usually worthless.

I'll send it back to the official Denon repair facility in NJ if the local repair tech can't sort it out over the phone with the Denon repair tech. It's still a great unit to have.

GoFastr

GoFastr

Full Audioholic
Wow! Got an email late Friday saying that I could collect my unit on Monday.

I just called the repair tech and he said they tried everything with the Denon repair tech over the phone and he finally went in to troubleshoot the issue at the board level.

He said he found that there was a bad relay that controlled the surround/zone 2 section. He replaced it and now everything is working.

I don't know what would have caused the relay to go bad, but I'm going to collect my unit and be back in business tonight! WooHoo!

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Wow! Got an email late Friday saying that I could collect my unit on Monday.

I just called the repair tech and he said they tried everything with the Denon repair tech over the phone and he finally went in to troubleshoot the issue at the board level.

He said he found that there was a bad relay that controlled the surround/zone 2 section. He replaced it and now everything is working.

I don't know what would have caused the relay to go bad, but I'm going to collect my unit and be back in business tonight! WooHoo!
Any hope of getting it under warranty? If fairness has any importance to them, it looks like you deserve it.

GoFastr

GoFastr

Full Audioholic
I didn't ask my local dealer about any warranty as I ddin't purchase it from them. They said they are an authorised repair center for Denon so maybe it is worth a try when I go to collect it in a little while.

I had to give them $75 when I dropped it off for the initial diagnosis or minimum charge.

GoFastr

GoFastr

Full Audioholic
Well, no warranty and it was only $100 more for their time spent with Denon and the relay part.

The local tech said whatever Denon was telling them wasn't going anywhere and he decided to open it up and troubleshoot it himself at the board level the old school way.

Glad he did and hope it lasts.

I need some nice interconnects for my Emotiva before doing all my Audyssey settings again. I know, I know....cables don't mean ****, but I ain't got any kind and I don't have to have Monster Cables, just ones with nice sturdy ends.

Watching MNF so in no hurry tonight.

GoFastr

GoFastr

Full Audioholic
Woo hoo! Back in business and better than ever. I know a lot of you are way beyond 5.1 now but when you build out your system in stages it's still fun getting to each one.

I started with 2.0 then when to 3.0 and on to 3.1 before getting the surrounds and making it to 5.1.

System sounds great for both music and movies!

I'm sure this hobby will keep me in another quest for the next stages to come too!

Thanks for all of your suggestions and helpful advice when I was panicking about my system issues.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis