speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Phil et al,

You might find the following website interesting: http://www.freemosquitoringtone.org/

You can have it play tones at different frequencies and determine if you can hear them. It also has age guidelines for the tones.

Adam

EDIT: Make sure that your speakers can play the frequencies before you think that you are going deaf. :)
Wow, thanks a bunch Adam. I will try to do that today or laster this evening. Mucho gracious my friend.

Cheers,

Phil

no. 5

no. 5

Audioholic Field Marshall
EDIT: Make sure that your speakers can play the frequencies before you think that you are going deaf. :)
And don't turn it up too high... lest you nuke your tweeters.

Alternatively, you could use headphones.

J

jamie2112

Banned
And don't turn it up too high... lest you nuke your tweeters.

Alternatively, you could use headphones.
That may be your best bet considering you take a hearing test with headphones on....:D

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
As long as you have no sysmptoms of tinnitus (high pitched ringing, popping, buzzing or fullness in your ears) I would not worry about any of this. It is pretty common for your hearing to degrade a little as you get older. BTW can you hear the birds chirping/singing from in your house or even when you are outside?

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
As long as you have no sysmptoms of tinnitus (high pitched ringing, popping, buzzing or fullness in your ears) I would not worry about any of this. It is pretty common for your hearing to degrade a little as you get older. BTW can you hear the birds chirping/singing from in your house or even when you are outside?
Yeah, I may be a bit too worried about my hearing. I have to say, that I am no spring chicken anymore so losing some of my hearing is just part of the aging process. Funny thing is though, my God-father used to say all the time that he could not hear. But, I learned not to wisper any secrets around him because his hearing was better than he lead everyone to believe. I call it selective hearing in that he heard what he wanted to hear. :rolleyes::rolleyes: Anyways, thanks for sharing Minus.

Cheers,

Phil

Last edited:
speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Any way to reproduce this sound and measure the frequency and intensity where you were standing?
No not really. Any particular reason if you don't mind me asking? Just curious is all.

Cheers,

Phil

C

Cthulhu

Audioholic Intern
If you're an older guy its fairly routine that you won;t be able to hear the top parts of the frequency range. High pitched noises from electronics are a particular culprit - I've been in quite few labs when the younger set could ear and olliscope or something whining while the professors could not.

no. 5

no. 5

Audioholic Field Marshall
Well I am only 26...
Then that's pretty good. :D

For what it's worth, I played that YouTube video again with an RTA up, and it gets progressively more noisy and generally awful above ~3kHz with no sound above ~14kHz.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Just FYI for anyone who cares, I have been told by a doctor that while its the higher frequencies that go first, its not just these frequencies at great volumes that will create damage. Low frequencies at high SPL will damage hearing, its just that the damage created will first show itself with the higher frequencies. IOW, no matter the frequency, high SPL is unhealthy.

Wear protection!

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
No not really. Any particular reason if you don't mind me asking? Just curious is all.

Cheers,

Phil
Yes, that would tell you what hf frequency you didn't hear and at what level was it there in the first place.
Hearing tests usually don't go beyond 8kHz unless it is a special test or something.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Yes, that would tell you what hf frequency you didn't hear and at what level was it there in the first place.
Hearing tests usually don't go beyond 8kHz unless it is a special test or something.
Oh I see. Well, no real way to tell what freq that sound was. Obviously, it was in the higher frequencies though. Thanks for the info.

Cheers,

Phil

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis