speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
At work the other morning, I was discussing the schedule for the day with my installer. While doing so, my installer was looking at me kinda weird. :rolleyes::rolleyes: He proceeded to ask me if I heard that? I replied, heard what? :confused::confused: Then, I realized he was NOT joking. For the life of me, I did not hear anything and as such had no idea what my installer was referring to. He got up and followed the sound to the source. What is really scary is I was right there beside him and yet I heard nothing. So, my installer asked me if I really could not hear it?? Once again I told him no. :eek::eek: This really has me concerned. My guess is that my car audio days may have damaged my hearing. As such, I will be getting a hearing test asap. Anybody here experienced the same problem? Please share your thoughts.

Cheers,

Phil

Last edited:
Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Phil,

Be sure to let us know how your hearing test goes, and best of luck with it. What was it that the installer was hearing that you weren't? Was the installer younger than you? Was it a high-pitched noise?

Adam

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Phil,

Be sure to let us know how your hearing test goes, and best of luck with it. What was it that the installer was hearing that you weren't? Was the installer younger than you? Was it a high-pitched noise?

Adam
Hi Adam. Yes, my installer is 28 or 29 and it was a very high pitched sound. Well, at least according to my installer. For some odd reason, it was a battery charger for his cordless drill. I plan to get my hearing tested just as soon as my Mom's surgery is over. It will be after August 12th. Appreciate your reply.

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Yes I have. :eek:

When my wife yells at me all I can see is her lips moving, but I can't hear a thing.

LOL......too funny Maz. Hey, I was married once........no wait ....I mean twice. :D:D I remember those days quite well. ;);)

Cheers,

Phil

J

jamie2112

Banned
Yes Phil I think you might be on to something there:D....I think its all women that emit that hi pitched wail that annoys us guys...:eek:

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Hi Adam. Yes, my installer is 28 or 29 and it was a very high pitched sound. Well, at least according to my installer. For some odd reason, it was a battery charger for his cordless drill. I plan to get my hearing tested just as soon as my Mom's surgery is over. It will be after August 12th. Appreciate your reply.

Cheers,

Phil
Don't be too worried about it, Phil. Most people lose their high frequency hearing as they get older. That's why those "mosquito" sirens drive teenagers nuts but don't bother most adults. It's also why teenagers now use "mosquito" ringtones on their phones - adults can't hear them ringing. :)

J

jamie2112

Banned
I have my hearing tested every year as I am a live engineer as well as a studio mixer. It is pretty much standard in my industry to have your hearing tested at least once a year. I would advise everyone to get it done if you are around loud noise for long periods of time....:)

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
The hearing test only go up to about 8kHz. They are only designed to see if you can hear your wife yelling at you well enough. If not, you get the hearing aid or she gets the megaphone or both. TLS confirmed this.

As my father pointed out to me a few years back, it only gets worse. :)
I feel like E-or from Whinny the Poo. :D

Stay away from the doctor. He won't be able to do anything about your hearing but he's definately gonna wanna shove something in your out door. :eek:

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Yes Phil I think you might be on to something there:D....I think its all women that emit that hi pitched wail that annoys us guys...:eek:
So very true. Especially, in an electronics store. :eek::eek: Guess, all the good ones are taken............just kiddin!!!!!! :p:p

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Don't be too worried about it, Phil. Most people lose their high frequency hearing as they get older. That's why those "mosquito" sirens drive teenagers nuts but don't bother most adults. It's also why teenagers now use "mosquito" ringtones on their phones - adults can't hear them ringing. :)
Very interesting Adam. Now I know what my daughter has been up to. :eek::eek: She is always on her cell no matter what. My guess, she is even on it while sleeping. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I have my hearing tested every year as I am a live engineer as well as a studio mixer. It is pretty much standard in my industry to have your hearing tested at least once a year. I would advise everyone to get it done if you are around loud noise for long periods of time....:)
Hey jamie, does this include my gassy co-workers???? :p:p Better yet, how about family members who are just as bad???? :D:D

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
The hearing test only go up to about 8kHz. They are only designed to see if you can hear your wife yelling at you well enough. If not, you get the hearing aid or she gets the megaphone or both. TLS confirmed this.

As my father pointed out to me a few years back, it only gets worse. :)
I feel like E-or from Whinny the Poo. :D

Stay away from the doctor. He won't be able to do anything about your hearing but he's definately gonna wanna shove something in your out door. :eek:
Geez Alex. I thought a trip to the dentist was scary. :eek::eek: No wonder why I hate going to see my doctor..........LOL!!!! :p:p

Cheers,

Phil

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Phil et al,

You might find the following website interesting: http://www.freemosquitoringtone.org/

You can have it play tones at different frequencies and determine if you can hear them. It also has age guidelines for the tones.

Adam

EDIT: Make sure that your speakers can play the frequencies before you think that you are going deaf. :)

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Before I go see my doctor, I like to load up on burritos. :eek:
That way, nobody's having a good time. :D
Hmmmmmm...........ummmm my bet would be the Doctor has it the worst....LOL!!!! ;);)

Cheers,

Phil

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis