HDMI In, Component Out....

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks everyone,

So basically the difference in the upscaling models is that they do not require a component cable, only the HDMI?

So, a local pawn shop has a Sony STR-DH800 for $189 and it looks mint. Any thoughts on this unit?
1) Yes. Only single hdmi cable to tv, regardless of inputs
2) Let me quote BMXTRIX:
You can buy it online for less, but I would get the Onkyo over the Sony. While Sony makes some decent stuff, their receivers tend not to match up in quality for the money you spent and the Onkyo would likely be a better purchase. Still, at the price you are talking about, it doesn't really make a huge amount of difference in things. It's all pretty entry level.
p.s: Sony STR-DH800 doesn't have any video upscalling. See Onkyo model I rec'd above.

D

DuluthMN

Audioholic Intern
1) Yes. Only single hdmi cable to tv, regardless of inputs
2) Let me quote BMXTRIX:

p.s: Sony STR-DH800 doesn't have any video upscalling. See Onkyo model I rec'd above.
Ok, I have an extra component cable that I can run from the AVR to the tv. So other that not having to use a component cable, what are the advantages of using an upscaling model?

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Ok, I have an extra component cable that I can run from the AVR to the tv. So other that not having to use a component cable, what are the advantages of using an upscaling model?
Upscaling is just a feature. It isn't something specific that upscaling models have, but it is the entire package.

Typically, as you get into better receivers they add upscaling as a feature. On top of that, they add more power, more inputs, better electronics, better amplification, better build quality, etc. Some companies, Denon for example, don't include as many features for the money, but are well known for building products with better parts in them. So, you pay more for their product, but don't really get more features that are available to you - but that product will last longer and sound better.

Samsung is one of those companies which I think goes the other way and tries to pack a LOT of features in for your money, but then has poor build quality, so the product doesn't work nearly as long as it should be expected to.

You do have choices, but I would stick with the main manufacturers of RECEIVERS out there:
Denon, Onkyo, Pioneer, and Yamaha. There are a few other choices for quality receivers, but those guys tend to lead the industry - and for good reason.

D

DuluthMN

Audioholic Intern
LET ME ADD:

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/ONKHTRC160/Onkyo/HT-RC160-7.2-channel-Home-Theater-Receiver/1.html

This was linked previously and BLOWS AWAY anything I've seen close to that price. Get it - get it now! 5 HDMI inputs with upconversion of other sources? You will be set for years to come with that model. Seriously, that's one I would jump on.
Order has been placed! This thread can be put to rest. I look forward to the responses on my future post as I seek advice...

Thanks Again...

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis