Having issue with my Marantz SR7008

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
My receiver is only 6 months old and sometimes it just drops sound off for 1-3 seconds when listening in stereo on low volumes. Never happens when watching movie or listening high volumes. For low volume I use 30-40 / 99 and for higher volume/movies 60 / 99. Movies I watch currently on 5.0 setup and listen music in stereo, unless I listen to some SACD.

Last time this happened the top of my receiver felt really warm, so I'm thinking is my receiver over heating? But I suppose it should not over heat with these volume levels? Haven't tried how warm the receiver gets when watching a movie, but never had any issues with movies.

I also have started to have some static noise from all 5 speakers, happens randomly, not every time I listen to something. The static comes from 5 speakers even if I listen to stereo. And I can hear the static from my sofa even when listening music on low volumes.

Also couple times when I have listened to music in stereo and started to watch movie there was no sound at all from receiver, it did not recognize the audio source type I guess? Picture was working through my receiver tho. But when I restarted the receiver everything worked perfectly.

Could these have something in common? Is my receiver defective? Any suggestions I should try before getting it to the retailer and let them send it for repairs? Don't really like the idea of not having receiver for 2 weeks or even longer.

Would like to hear if you have some idea whats going on with my receiver and what would you do.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Was the receiver new or refurb?

This is an intermittent fault. So if it was refurb, then the fault could easily be missed at repair.

Clearly this receiver has a problem. I would demand a new one. This is the sort of problem were if a fix is attempted, the unit will continually bounce back between you and the repair facility until it is out of warranty, then it will be new receiver time.

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Was the receiver new or refurb?

This is an intermittent fault. So if it was refurb, then the fault could easily be missed at repair.

Clearly this receiver has a problem. I would demand a new one. This is the sort of problem were if a fix is attempted, the unit will continually bounce back between you and the repair facility until it is out of warranty, then it will be new receiver time.
It is/was a new unit.

And as I feared I have to go through warranty process.. Guess I go to visit the store tomorrow after work to ask how they deal with it. New unit would be best ofcourse but doubt they will do it, if they even have them in stock anymore as SR7009 is out.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Talk to the shop. Try one reset to factory defaults before you take it back.

Unfortunately this sort of fault is almost impossible to trace as a rule. This is the tech's worst nightmare.

If there are no new units, then I would demand at least the processor board and Dacs be replaced if a tech can not be certain of the problem.

Since it is heating up I would recommend that each amp be tested for current drain. It is possible there is a problem output stage with excess collect emitter drain. That could account for the shut off and might be upsetting the unit. The only other thing that would really heat would be a bad microprocessor. The power supply boards will also require a lot of scrutiny.

You will have to be understanding, as this may not end well despite everybody's best intentions.

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Talk to the shop. Try one reset to factory defaults before you take it back.

Unfortunately this sort of fault is almost impossible to trace as a rule. This is the tech's worst nightmare.

If there are no new units, then I would demand at least the processor board and Dacs be replaced if a tech can not be certain of the problem.

Since it is heating up I would recommend that each amp be tested for current drain. It is possible there is a problem output stage with excess collect emitter drain. That could account for the shut off and might be upsetting the unit. The only other thing that would really heat would be a bad microprocessor. The power supply boards will also require a lot of scrutiny.

You will have to be understanding, as this may not end well despite everybody's best intentions.
Sure, I'll try the factory reset before getting the unit there even tho I don't see how this would help, guess it is worth a try as I don't have much to lose on it.

Thank you for your input, I let you know what the retailer tells me when I give them a visit.

And ya I know, I have worked on retailing in past and that's why I fear this will not end so well.. But will see how it goes.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
A reset to factory default condition could often solve some issues but probably not in your case. Regarding the static noise coming from all 5 speakers, next time it happens, try unplug anything that involve any sort of portable power supplies/chargers especially the larger ones such as those for large laptops. One of them could be causing the trouble.

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

A reset to factory default condition could often solve some issues but probably not in your case. Regarding the static noise coming from all 5 speakers, next time it happens, try unplug anything that involve any sort of portable power supplies/chargers especially the larger ones such as those for large laptops. One of them could be causing the trouble.
Nothing but TV, receiver and player in the outlet. Or could it be things on other outlets in the room? Nothing has changed in outlets in last 6 months tho and the issue started last week.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Sure, I'll try the factory reset before getting the unit there even tho I don't see how this would help, guess it is worth a try as I don't have much to lose on it.

Thank you for your input, I let you know what the retailer tells me when I give them a visit.

And ya I know, I have worked on retailing in past and that's why I fear this will not end so well.. But will see how it goes.
I always suggest one shot at a reset. I have had posters solve problems in the past with a reset, where I thought it would be the longest of long shots. As in your case, I thought the odds of it being a software problem were remote, But it was. I regard that as one of the curses of modern gear, it seems that software corruption can really mimic hardware failure.

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

I always suggest one shot at a reset. I have had posters solve problems in the past with a reset, where I thought it would be the longest of long shots. As in your case, I thought the odds of it being a software problem were remote, But it was. I regard that as one of the curses of modern gear, it seems that software corruption can really mimic hardware failure.
Do you think it would be worth to try firmware update as well if there is one available? By your reply I would guess so? Will try to factory reset by week end most likely if I dont have time before that.

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

I took a visit to the store and he told me that I should directly contact the importer about this as the store policy is just to send the unit to repair shop. He gave me direct contact information for the imported so I took a call for him and had little chat with him.

So I must send the unit to repair shop no matter what if I want it repaired / replaced. Marantz will replace the unit IF the repair costs are high enough, by my guess closer to new unit or IF the same issues follow after repairs. So I guess I'm not totally doomed with my receiver after all..

Will call the repair shop tomorrow and ask for possible estimate about the repair time and what they think about the issues.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I took a visit to the store and he told me that I should directly contact the importer about this as the store policy is just to send the unit to repair shop. He gave me direct contact information for the imported so I took a call for him and had little chat with him.

So I must send the unit to repair shop no matter what if I want it repaired / replaced. Marantz will replace the unit IF the repair costs are high enough, by my guess closer to new unit or IF the same issues follow after repairs. So I guess I'm not totally doomed with my receiver after all..

Will call the repair shop tomorrow and ask for possible estimate about the repair time and what they think about the issues.
I would not do a firmware update.

This would not be the sort of problem that would be caused by out of date firmware.

The unit is suspect, and if the update does not install properly, then it can corrupt the BIOS, and then the unit is done.

If you ever do a firmware update, do it with a cable Internet connection, NEVER Wi-Fi. We have had users loose their receivers due to this.

Where are you located?

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

I would not do a firmware update.

This would not be the sort of problem that would be caused by out of date firmware.

The unit is suspect, and if the update does not install properly, then it can corrupt the BIOS, and then the unit is done.

If you ever do a firmware update, do it with a cable Internet connection, NEVER Wi-Fi. We have had users loose their receivers due to this.

Where are you located?
I see. So if you fail to update firmware this is not under warranty then I suppose? Or do you mean that after failed update I must send it for repairs and I cant use the receiver before that?

I was planning to do offline update, if this is even possible? As I don't like the idea of connecting my receiver to internet. But if you think it does nothing I think it is not worth it.

I'm from Finland.

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Called the repair shop and the estimate for repair time is at least 2-3 weeks as they need to order the parts.. Will most likely drop my receiver for repairs when I have a trip to Scotland in next month.

He suspects that at least DSP and DAC cards has to be replaced. For heating issue he couldn't tell what is wrong without making measurements first. But possibly something to do with output stages.

I have to add that TLS Guy had pretty good feeling what could be wrong out there! :D

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I see. So if you fail to update firmware this is not under warranty then I suppose? Or do you mean that after failed update I must send it for repairs and I cant use the receiver before that?

I was planning to do offline update, if this is even possible? As I don't like the idea of connecting my receiver to internet. But if you think it does nothing I think it is not worth it.

I'm from Finland.
If the software does not instal correctly, the receiver will not work from then on, but stick on a loop. If the BIOS will not re flash at the repair shop, then the unit is never going to work again.

Since the processor is high on the list for failure, then a firmware update, is a bad idea right now. Resetting the receiver to default will not cause this issue, and should be done once before sending it in for service.

The other rule, is never do a firmware update unless you have to. That means that there is a feature you want that does not work, or a significant fault comes to light that there is a definite firmware fix for. With these exceptions you run in the other direction from firmware updates.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
If the software does not instal correctly, the receiver will not work from then on, but stick on a loop. If the BIOS will not re flash at the repair shop, then the unit is never going to work again.

Since the processor is high on the list for failure, then a firmware update, is a bad idea right now. Resetting the receiver to default will not cause this issue, and should be done once before sending it in for service.

The other rule, is never do a firmware update unless you have to. That means that there is a feature you want that does not work, or a significant fault comes to light that there is a definite firmware fix for. With these exceptions you run in the other direction from firmware updates.
Or you use Apple products with REQUIRED firmware updates :rolleyes::eek:

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

So it is pretty much same with all the products, don't try to repair something that isn't broken.

I will try to reset by this week and see does it have any effect on these issues and if not I will send my receiver in just before my trip to Scotland.

Thank you again! :)

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Ok, so I took time to do factory reset for my receiver.. So far haven't got much time to test it after.. But I can tell that random static sound is still there..

And I think I got new issue now, unless I missed some setting I had made when I first set up my receiver.. When my player is playing disc and if I turn off either TV or receiver my player stops playing and starts the disc from beginning.. Didn't have this issue untill I did this factory reset. Player also flashes the screen it has for 2-3 times when this happens. Before reset player just kept playing the disc like nothing happened if TV/receiver was shut down.

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Ok, so I took time to do factory reset for my receiver.. So far haven't got much time to test it after.. But I can tell that random static sound is still there..

And I think I got new issue now, unless I missed some setting I had made when I first set up my receiver.. When my player is playing disc and if I turn off either TV or receiver my player stops playing and starts the disc from beginning.. Didn't have this issue untill I did this factory reset. Player also flashes the screen it has for 2-3 times when this happens. Before reset player just kept playing the disc like nothing happened if TV/receiver was shut down.
Oddly enough this new issue with player stopping on tv/receiver power on/off is gone now by itself.. I don't even know what is going on there anymore. Haven't faced those 2 issues yet after reset, but then again I haven't got much time to use my receiver after reset so they might still be there and I suspect they are.

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Updating this post as I'm going to send my unit for repairs tomorrow as my trip is close now. Yet there is one new issue with my receiver, it drops out picture randomly while watching a movie. It seems to drop hdmi out signal as TV shows the source information when picture returns.

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Back from my trip and also got my receiver back today. Looks and sounds good so far, have to see the coming weeks how it turns out as those faults were happening so randomly.

They changed Digital assy board in repair, which I believe is some kind of main board in my receiver?

Edit: Thank you guys for sharing your thoughts about the issues and taking care of them.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis