GoldenEar Triton Three Tower Loudspeaker Preview

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
From HTM,

"The Triton Two’s listening-window response (a five-point average of axial and +/–15-degree horizontal and vertical responses) measures +1.14/–4.13 decibels from 200 hertz to 10 kilohertz."

" The Triton Three’s listening-window response (a five-point average of axial and +/–15-degree horizontal and vertical responses) measures +0.97/–3.95 decibels from 200 hertz to 10 kilohertz."

" The MartinLogan ElectroMotion ESL’s listening-window response (a five-point average of axial and +/–15-degree horizontal and vertical responses) measures +1.05/–6.27 decibels from 200 hertz to 10 kilohertz."

By "textbook definition", none of these speakers are considered "accurate".

An example of textbook accurate is the KEF Q900, which you did not like::D

"The Q900’s listening-window response (a five-point average of axial and +/–15-degree horizontal and vertical responses) measures +2.25/–0.65 decibels from 200 hertz to 10 kilohertz."

R

Rob from NJ

Audioholic Intern
The thing that a speaker sounds bad doesn't necessarily mean it's bad speakers, it means they're not good in this environment :Dan be

It can be....
- Horrible room acoustics
- Incorrect placement
- Too small room, speakers overloading the room
- Many other things

I will rule out amplifiers as they come with their own sub-amp's...

To say that speakers are bad based on a quick auditioning at a dealer is too easy :p

I heard the same speakers sound absolutely horrible and extraordinarily well in the same room with the same equipment driving them, differences being only placement in room and switching the listening direction
Halrado, all points well taken and complicating the evaluation of speakers is a speaker that sounds great to you may sound terrible to me under the same exact conditions.
As a newbie, with a million speaker companies/brands/lines/models and various distribution channels, some of which you can't even listen to the speaker until you purchase the speaker, one's ability to evaluate whether they're making the right purchase for their hard earned money is most difficult (or adventuresome depending on your perspective).
Other than continuous trials at home which involves time and expenses, to order, receive/unpack, install, de-install, re-package, ship back and deal with refund issues, I have no other options other than (a) researching/reading forums (putting trust in experts and people with many different opinions covering a very subjective topic) and (b) making judgments based on what I hear at in-store demos under less than ideal conditions that will not resemble my home environment.
One other approach to try to make as many contacts locally and with their generosity, arrange for in-home listening time.
My goal is to get to a real good short list prior to conducting 2-3 trials.
Any ideas are appreciated and sorry for using a GE Triton 3 topic for this post. Now back to the main topic.

R

Rob from NJ

Audioholic Intern
From HTM,

"The Triton Two’s listening-window response (a five-point average of axial and +/–15-degree horizontal and vertical responses) measures +1.14/–4.13 decibels from 200 hertz to 10 kilohertz."

" The Triton Three’s listening-window response (a five-point average of axial and +/–15-degree horizontal and vertical responses) measures +0.97/–3.95 decibels from 200 hertz to 10 kilohertz."

" The MartinLogan ElectroMotion ESL’s listening-window response (a five-point average of axial and +/–15-degree horizontal and vertical responses) measures +1.05/–6.27 decibels from 200 hertz to 10 kilohertz."

By "textbook definition", none of these speakers are considered "accurate".

An example of textbook accurate is the KEF Q900, which you did not like::D

"The Q900’s listening-window response (a five-point average of axial and +/–15-degree horizontal and vertical responses) measures +2.25/–0.65 decibels from 200 hertz to 10 kilohertz."
AcuDefTechGuy,
This is great. This is a perfect example of what a person hears in different listening environments may be very different than what the specifications are saying.

As you know I did not like the KefQ900s as my ears were very sensitive toward the Kef's upper range. The upper range may be clear and accurate, however, it was too sharp for me.

In addition, I found the ML Electro Motions to have better and lower bass than the GE Triton 2, as well as, the Def. Tech Mythos STS, and lower bass comparing the three clearly does not favor the ML EM speakers per a comparison of their specifications.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
cpp, thanks for the feedback.

Putting the explosions/battles action scenes aside (covered by the external subwoofer or two), how does the Triton 2 system perform with movie soundtracks in the following areas:
- Accuracy and detail especially with dialogue at lower volume levels, noting that the center speaker will be the primary source of dialogue.
- Imaging and soundstage
- Ambiance - ability to hear small sounds in the movie that other speakers may not capture.
- Surround sound

In general, any additional impressions of your speaker system with movies compared to other speakers that you've owned and/or spent significant time listening to.
system.
1) If you haven't yet, read the HomeTheater Mag review on the Triton 2s. The dialogue does sound nice and clear, and I note that with these I don't have to turn the volume up near as loud to hear dialogue (as compared to my old and not so great pioneers). I must admit that I agree with the HT mag review that the center does not quite match up to the Tritons themselves. It is a very minor complaint, but in all honesty, there are other systems out there that would have a better center. But, I am 80% music, so this is OK by me. Perhaps if I were at 80% movies I would go with a Triton 2 or 3 for the center channel :D

2) Imaging and soundstage is excellent. On 2 channel music, at first my GF didn't believe that nothing was coming out of the center channel. I only have the front L/R/C, I haven't bothered with the surrounds yet (lazy). That being said, there have still been a few times that both me and my GF have spun around on the couch b/c we heard something behind us, only to realize it was just the effects coming out of the front L/R speakers, and I'm serious about that.

3) Ambience and surround sound, I don't have surrounds so can't comment

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Assctd Eqp

Want to mention Im pushing them off a Pioneer elite VSX-82TXS, it was the #2 model pioneer maybe 4-5 yrs ago. Reviewed as OK preamp and beefy amp section. Also power off 350wpc parasound from time to time just for kicks. Sometimes I listen at low volumes, sometimes I want to see if amp or speakers give out first, I give out long before then.

123newbie

Audiophyte
hi all

just wondering what do you think about combining the triton 3 with the martin logan electromotion C2 as the center speaker? the reason being when i went to the audio store they recommended it, i like the triton 3 a lot but with the center speaker you need to mount on a wall which i don't like much and the salesman said the tweeter GE uses is 99% similar with the ML C2. so please help me with that. many thanks!!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
hi all

just wondering what do you think about combining the triton 3 with the martin logan electromotion C2 as the center speaker? the reason being when i went to the audio store they recommended it, i like the triton 3 a lot but with the center speaker you need to mount on a wall which i don't like much and the salesman said the tweeter GE uses is 99% similar with the ML C2. so please help me with that. many thanks!!
That salesman is obviously trying to make money. He's not making sense.

Don't do it. Use a GE center. Keep the same brand. If you are buying from scratch (all speakers), try to keep everything the same brand if possible.

123newbie

Audiophyte
That salesman is obviously trying to make money. He's not making sense.

Don't do it. Use a GE center. Keep the same brand. If you are buying from scratch (all speakers), try to keep everything the same brand if possible.

thanks for the reply!! yeah i was really doubting if i should change the brand for the center. called couple places and they said the same. so i guess i will stick with the same brand.

one more question, as for the surround, i can use other brand right? because i already bot the ML 10 since i originally plan to buy the ML ESL electromotion until i tried the goldenear. Thanks!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
thanks for the reply!! yeah i was really doubting if i should change the brand for the center. called couple places and they said the same. so i guess i will stick with the same brand.

one more question, as for the surround, i can use other brand right? because i already bot the ML 10 since i originally plan to buy the ML ESL electromotion until i tried the goldenear. Thanks!
Surrounds are not as important in terms of SQ. So other brands are okay.

Personally, if I could return the ML, I would return them. But not a big deal otherwise.

123newbie

Audiophyte
Surrounds are not as important in terms of SQ. So other brands are okay.

Personally, if I could return the ML, I would return them. But not a big deal otherwise.
Thanks!!!don't think i can return them :( but i bot them at a discount 300 a pair so if they really bad i guess i will sell them online or so. appreciated for the response!!

T

TulsaSKD

Junior Audioholic
Kinda sucks doesn't it.

Specs only tell how a speaker performs but it doesn't tell us how our ears interpret their response, hence auditions are a must. ;)
Problem is for people like me there are not dealers close to me to hear alot of the speakers out there. I called Goldenear and they were very nice but its hard to spend $3000 of a set without hearing them first.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Problem is for people like me there are not dealers close to me to hear alot of the speakers out there. I called Goldenear and they were very nice but its hard to spend $3000 of a set without hearing them first.
Have you ever listened to Pi speakers in Tulsa?

Ask Wayne if he has the 3-Pi speakers with the BC DE250 tweeter & AE TD12S woofer to audition.

Goat1

Goat1

Audioholic
I read that the ribbon tweeter in the em c2 and triton were basically the same. You should be able to use the ML center. I doubt the smaller GE center will have as big of sound as the ML. I have the ML electrostat ESL's and EM C2 center. Def Tech 8040 surrounds.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I read that the ribbon tweeter in the em c2 and triton were basically the same. You should be able to use the ML center. I doubt the smaller GE center will have as big of sound as the ML. I have the ML electrostat ESL's and EM C2 center. Def Tech 8040 surrounds.
Yeah, you should be able to use the NHT centers and any accurate centers out there with any speakers out there.

But you are definitely in the minority for recommending the use of 2 different brands for front L/R & C!

Here's another idea - buy some other brands with better matching fronts and centers. :eek:

E

ednaz

Audiophyte
Got a set of Twos; liked the Threes, but...

I recently picked up a pair of Triton Twos for use in my photography studio. It's a big, weird combination of two large rectangular rooms and one small one connecting them (think short handled tuning fork), with very high ceilings. Wanted a speaker that I could use with the sound system in the smaller room pointing into the larger ones. Tried several different bookshelf (too small, sounded stressed) and floor standers. It looked like I'd end up significantly over the $2500 limit I wanted to stay to, in order to get something that sounded good.

I auditioned the Threes, and then the Twos. The dealer was good enough to move speakers in and out of the room, not just pile a bunch in against a wall. I liked the Threes a lot, but the Twos seemed to fill the space much better (it was a large-ish listening room.) I brought them to my studio to try, and they sounded fantastic. While the imaging was really good if I was sitting in the room in the sweet spot, there remained a sense of space in the music whether I was in the smaller room, or in one of the larger shooting areas. The only other time I noticed something like that was when I'd tried my home speakers in the studio, Gradient Revolutions (but another set of those was way out of my range.) The biggest thing though was unlike the Gradients, I didn't need 150wpc to drive them to the levels I liked. The Peachtree Audio iNova that I use as my dac/pre drove them to front row concert levels turning the volume up to slightly under half way. Got an amp for sale now...

I think the upper register is the biggest strength. Trumpets sound live, I can hear overtones on piano and violin, and on densely packed albums like Mumford and Sons latest, you can hear how many sets of rattlers are on the tambourine even when they've got everything playing. I think they're exceptional in the upper range compared to other speakers I listened to in their price range, and up to twice that. Mids are nice, clean, and sound really good, although I find a lot of speakers in that range do mids well. Not exceptional, but rock solid. Diana Krall's voice makes me want to become her stalker, Kurt Elling is angular and you can hear if he's in chest or throat tones.

The only slight disappointment I have is lowest bass. The powered woofers (Goldenear seems to not want to call them subs...) put out the volume, but I find them to not be as crisp as I'm used to. I used to be a musician, and for me bass drums have pitches, and you can't always tell that on the Tritons. Most of the time, but not always. I've started trying them in different locations to see if there's a location where the bass is cleaner.

I really enjoy the sound. I'd tried Def Tech, Paradigm, B&W, KEF, and in each case I had to get well outside my target price to get something I thought I'd enjoy listening to. The Triton Twos were only a bit out of the price range (after some extensive negotiation), but were solidly in the sound quality range for the type of presentation I like. Speaker preferences are so personal, and these work for me.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I recently picked up a pair of Triton Twos for use in my photography studio. It's a big, weird combination of two large rectangular rooms and one small one connecting them (think short handled tuning fork), with very high ceilings. Wanted a speaker that I could use with the sound system in the smaller room pointing into the larger ones. Tried several different bookshelf (too small, sounded stressed) and floor standers. It looked like I'd end up significantly over the $2500 limit I wanted to stay to, in order to get something that sounded good.

I auditioned the Threes, and then the Twos. The dealer was good enough to move speakers in and out of the room, not just pile a bunch in against a wall. I liked the Threes a lot, but the Twos seemed to fill the space much better (it was a large-ish listening room.) I brought them to my studio to try, and they sounded fantastic. While the imaging was really good if I was sitting in the room in the sweet spot, there remained a sense of space in the music whether I was in the smaller room, or in one of the larger shooting areas. The only other time I noticed something like that was when I'd tried my home speakers in the studio, Gradient Revolutions (but another set of those was way out of my range.) The biggest thing though was unlike the Gradients, I didn't need 150wpc to drive them to the levels I liked. The Peachtree Audio iNova that I use as my dac/pre drove them to front row concert levels turning the volume up to slightly under half way. Got an amp for sale now...

I think the upper register is the biggest strength. Trumpets sound live, I can hear overtones on piano and violin, and on densely packed albums like Mumford and Sons latest, you can hear how many sets of rattlers are on the tambourine even when they've got everything playing. I think they're exceptional in the upper range compared to other speakers I listened to in their price range, and up to twice that. Mids are nice, clean, and sound really good, although I find a lot of speakers in that range do mids well. Not exceptional, but rock solid. Diana Krall's voice makes me want to become her stalker, Kurt Elling is angular and you can hear if he's in chest or throat tones.

The only slight disappointment I have is lowest bass. The powered woofers (Goldenear seems to not want to call them subs...) put out the volume, but I find them to not be as crisp as I'm used to. I used to be a musician, and for me bass drums have pitches, and you can't always tell that on the Tritons. Most of the time, but not always. I've started trying them in different locations to see if there's a location where the bass is cleaner.

I really enjoy the sound. I'd tried Def Tech, Paradigm, B&W, KEF, and in each case I had to get well outside my target price to get something I thought I'd enjoy listening to. The Triton Twos were only a bit out of the price range (after some extensive negotiation), but were solidly in the sound quality range for the type of presentation I like. Speaker preferences are so personal, and these work for me.
I've had the Triton 2s for maybe 18 months. What setting do you have the volume set to on the back? mine are at about 3 or 4 o'clock and that is typically plenty for 2 channel listening.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis